• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screws for outdoor use: coated vs stainless?

signman315

Signmaker
Hi folks, typically I use stainless steel screws for all outdoor applications. But I'm always tempted to use a coated decking screw, primarily because I like the aggressive threads and can find them in long lengths (3-4"). Does anyone know anything about coated decking screws? How long they last before corroding? Any other recommendations, tips etc? If they are going to last a long time outdoors then I would love to use them, especially for signs mounted to vinyl siding. Thanks :)

blufftonsignguy

I started to use some you can get at a local builder supply and have found they rust fairly quickly. McFeelys sells some the call "No Corode" that seems to work fairly well. I have been back to work I have done 5-6 years ago and they still have no corrosion to them. I have pretty much stuck with stainless for the most part. The only trouble I have had with them is screwing into aluminum. Sometimes it's hard to get them out or they break but I think thats fromt he corrosion of the aluminum and not a problem with the screw itself.

signman315

Signmaker
I started to use some you can get at a local builder supply and have found they rust fairly quickly. McFeelys sells some the call "No Corode" that seems to work fairly well. I have been back to work I have done 5-6 years ago and they still have no corrosion to them. I have pretty much stuck with stainless for the most part. The only trouble I have had with them is screwing into aluminum. Sometimes it's hard to get them out or they break but I think thats fromt he corrosion of the aluminum and not a problem with the screw itself.

Thanks, I just checked out McFeely's website and found the "NoCoRode". Thanks always good to hear from somebody who has actually used them, cheers!

Billct2

We use both depending on the project. The only thing about deck screws is they are usually flat head and for some installs we want a round head, so those get stainless.

signman315

Signmaker
We use both depending on the project. The only thing about deck screws is they are usually flat head and for some installs we want a round head, so those get stainless.

Thanks, I might need to find something similar that doesn't have a washer head so that it fits into a screw cap, but at least now I know that there is a coated option out there that will last 5-6 years :)

GB2

Old Member
As much as I like the idea of using Stainless screws, I find that they are some of the weakest screws available, they break, strip the head and strip the threads very easily. So we use a variety of screws, bolts, etc. for our projects and chose what is most appropriate for each use. Typically, anything approved for decking use is strong and coated very well for signage purposes.

signage

Most sign cabinets I work on are made of aluminum so aluminum screws are what I prefer. All the other ones cause galvanic process and weld them-self to the cabinets, then when trying to drill out cause a bigger problem. Aluminium doesn't rust.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
round head screws

if you don't want flat head, use a trex or azek screw. i keep some of each handy . multiple colors too. regarding deck screws i keep all the lengths up to 7" very handy

Thanks, I might need to find something similar that doesn't have a washer head so that it fits into a screw cap, but at least now I know that there is a coated option out there that will last 5-6 years :)

jamieh

round head screws

if you don't want flat head, use a trex or azek screw. i keep some of each handy . multiple colors too. regarding deck screws i keep all the lengths up to 7" very handy

Hi folks, typically I use stainless steel screws for all outdoor applications. But I'm always tempted to use a coated decking screw, primarily because I like the aggressive threads and can find them in long lengths (3-4"). Does anyone know anything about coated decking screws? How long they last before corroding? Any other recommendations, tips etc? If they are going to last a long time outdoors then I would love to use them, especially for signs mounted to vinyl siding. Thanks :)

As soon as you coat and remove Oxygen form the stainless it is not idea - see how stainless works here

uncoated course thread stainless decking screws would be ideal