• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seal Laminator

formanek

Soooooo...... I am really sick of having to unroll the backing paper from the roller after laminating to discard. What technique does everyone else use? Pain in the a** re-rolling 150' of backing paper. :banghead:

Letterbox Mike

We use duct tape to tape the backing to the tube, and when it's full we cut the duct tape and remove the half sticking to the tube, then bang the end of it on the floor a few times on each end to loosen the paper up and the tube usually slides out with a little work. Still a royal pain in the ass but it's better than unrolling it. Haven't found a better way yet. Sure would be easier if you could stick a cardboard core on there like every other freaking laminator out there. One of these days when I have time I'm going to engineer up some retrofit for it. I already know how I'm going to do it, Just need to find the time to do it.

fmg

Place a core tube from a 54" media on the take up roller and when finished laminating simply remove the core with all the back liner in place.

Brands Imaging

use the take up reel as your new kraft paper....just keep switching up, back and forth. I havnt bought kraft paper in over a year.

MikePro

+1 to empty tube with a little duct tape for friction... i throw all my backing paper away as a roll (aside from the 4 rolls of backing paper I keep around the shop for install paper patterns)

fmg

3" cores are too big to fit on the take-up tube.
Place core on floor. Press the middle of the core in with some foot pressure place over take up reel, works like a treat.Neschen rep showed me this tip and every time I run long lengths this is the best way to discard the release liner with ease.Try it you just may like it!!!

Letterbox Mike

Place core on floor. Press the middle of the core in with some foot pressure place over take up reel, works like a treat.Neschen rep showed me this tip and every time I run long lengths this is the best way to discard the release liner with ease.Try it you just may like it!!!

Are you saying basically just flatten a cardboard core enough that it barely slides onto the plastic take-up tube? I never thought of that, it sounds like it might work, as long as having a non-round takeup core wouldn't cause any uneven tension issues...

formanek

Thanks! Great ideas. Another question. Why the hell does the laminator never seem to run straight? It weaves back and forth and ends up missing some of the vinyl. I have tried everything I can think of. Even scoring a line with a marker and square to help line it up. ticks me off!

fmg

Are you saying basically just flatten a cardboard core enough that it barely slides onto the plastic take-up tube? I never thought of that, it sounds like it might work, as long as having a non-round takeup core wouldn't cause any uneven tension issues...
Just enough so it fits on snug to the take up reel.Don't over flatten the core.
Its a great tip and will work for you.

fmg

Thanks! Great ideas. Another question. Why the hell does the laminator never seem to run straight? It weaves back and forth and ends up missing some of the vinyl. I have tried everything I can think of. Even scoring a line with a marker and square to help line it up. ticks me off!
Make sure you have the gears adjusted correctly.

Letterbox Mike

Just enough so it fits on snug to the take up reel.Don't over flatten the core.
Its a great tip and will work for you.

Just making sure your Seal is the same as ours. Ours (62 base) uses a plastic tube for the takeup. It's about 2.5" outside diameter, so a half-inch smaller than a media core.

fmg

Just making sure your Seal is the same as ours. Ours (62 base) uses a plastic tube for the takeup. It's about 2.5" outside diameter, so a half-inch smaller than a media core.
I have the 54 base so I am not sure how it will work with the 62 base. I have a plastic tube as well for the take up.Not sure on the diameter.

toli13

Soooooo...... I am really sick of having to unroll the backing paper from the roller after laminating to discard. What technique does everyone else use? Pain in the a** re-rolling 150' of backing paper. :banghead:

I always leave a thickness of about 1 cm of backing paper on the take up tube. So I can easily fix the begin of a new roll with two or three staples. If it becomes to thick I make a longitudinal cut in tubes direction. Prevents from unrolling the complete paper. Only a few inner windings, which are cutted only partial have to be rolled off.
Tilo

Last edited:

toli13

I'm working with a Seal 62 Plus. Hope, it's similar to your machine. Had this problem too. The first 2-3 meters were running straight and then the vinyl became wandering to one side more and more. The solution was adjusting. First the take up unit on the back (not that for the backing paper). Be sure, it is parallel to the laminating rolls. Otherwise it will pull the material to one side. If you unfasten the screws of the take up unit on one side, you can adjust the tube to be parallel to the rollers.
Next adjustment can be done at the tension springs under the covers on the left and right of the machine. If the material runs to the right, you must tighten the left spring and vice versa.
Tilo

DRamm76

Amen to that one..I used to sit and slice that paper off every damn time!