• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Searching for large concrete letters (resin, fiberglass)?

Joe Giral

I have a current search for 2 foot tall letters in concrete or other substrate. Letters (there are seven capital letters in all) must be 24" tall and 18" to 20" depth.
Letters must be strong enough to accommodate interaction with visitors (sitting upon, posing with letters). Would fiberglass, resin or other substrates work here?

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer or source? I've exhausted all my vendors!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Solid concrete? Call a precast company.
Fiberglass? Call a fiberglass company.
CIP? Call a contractor
This is custom, not a wholesale type endeavor and is going to cost a fair amount of money. If people are climbing on it, you probably should get an engineer involved so it doesn't fall in top of someone.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Any EPS foam wholesaler can do this - Peachtree, Benchmark Signs, etc
I wouldn't think EPS foam letters are durable enough to have people (kids is probably a more accurate descriptor) sitting on and climbing all over them. I know the foam gets sprayed with a hard coat but is that strong enough to keep the letters from being destroyed from the interaction?

unclebun

You probably want to work with a manufacturer of hard coated eps foam signs to make these. If you do a Google search for "hard coated foam signs" you can find one situated near you.
I have a sample of one that a salesman brought in that he hit with a 5 lb sledgehammer. It did not damage the coating or dent the sign, though it scratched the paint.

When we did these for our town/area we made them from .125" aluminum. But they are 8' letters installed on a hill and they aren't for people to climb on.

Attachments

• lighted sign picture (red,white,blue).JPG
    lighted sign picture (red,white,blue).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • Lighted sign Christmas-red & green #2.jpg
    Lighted sign Christmas-red & green #2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I wouldn't think EPS foam letters are durable enough to have people (kids is probably a more accurate descriptor) sitting on and climbing all over them. I know the foam gets sprayed with a hard coat but is that strong enough to keep the letters from being destroyed from the interaction?
Yeah, I missed the “sitting on” from the OP. Maybe they could have a steel framework and finished to look like concrete?