• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Secret to putting down application paper

shuv76

Hello,, I know this is a dumb question but I really don't know why when I put down lets say 18" application tape , I most of the time get wrinkles. If I do it with the big squegee it will usually work but when I have my wife hold the roll at one end and I start laying it down working toward her , it begins to wrinkle. Do you think maybe it is to tight? The reason I don't use the big squgee more is because it is hard to line up and I will usually end up running off the vinyl. I don't know, but I would love some advice. Thanks for any help. Paul

Brandon708

I use the roll roll method. I start by pulling about 18" of tape off the roll. I then line that up with the left edge of the backer paper. Then I use a second roll to roll on the first roll _OO
works every time

ams

I use up to 48" application tape and its really simple to never have a wrinkle. If you like I could make a short like 30 second video of doing a large piece?

MikePro

application tape on rollers mounted to the table... i can mask the whole length of my 16' workbench with 48", and there's room under the rollers to slide already masked sheets... and keep the web going, if necessary! Longest ever has been 48"x 30', solo, but now I just use my laminator to mask large jobs like that.

tintguy31794

Its really hard to explain how to do it in words. If time permits I might make a video. I can handle 30"x 5ft by myself, much bigger than that and I have to get help or splice it.

washingtonsignguy

Okay this is what i do and it works very well. I get a wrinkle sometimes, it happens, but about 95% of the time none. heres some directions to this quick sketch. Start by pulling out the Ttape to the edge of the graphic being carefull you dont touch the graphic yet. set it down in the corners and press with your thumbs (red circles) making sure you touch the graphic and the table with the tape. now you should have a nice tight Ttape sitting above the graphic. start with the green arrows and get about 6-8" down. The Ttape should overlap the graphic at least an 1". if not you wilhave to put your hand down and hold firm so the whole thing doesnt slip away and you have an aww sh&&. Then go the other direction working from the center outwards in a diagonal direction (yellow arrows). continue this all the way to the end. its take practice for perfect. but youll get it. I never tried the big squeegee, sounds good but i guess i never really felt the need. I just did 2 24"x60" graphics this way with no wrinkles in less than 10 minutes with weeding. Hope this helps, a vid would be better.

Attachments

• yehaaa.jpg
    yehaaa.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 72

wes70

Very similar to others. 1/2" mdo for sides and 3/4" mdo for base... easy as pie!

Attachments

• various 078.jpg
    various 078.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 79

shuv76

Thanks guys for your help. I understand it better.
I liked the one about I needed a younger wife but I think I will keep the one I have.