• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seen this before?

noregrets

Anyone know what might be causing this?

I am printing on Gloss Canvas with a GS6000. It is doing it randomly, not right across the sheet, and only every now and then.

TIA

noregrets

duh!

and the attachment :banghead:

Attachments

• fist.jpg
    fist.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 51

JoshLoring

Looks like the roll was laying on its side for a while pre printing.
I try to store all media upright. Is it occurring every revelation? Try rolling out 2-3 feet.

noregrets

Thanks Josh, it is a brand new roll out of the box - but yes, the boxes are all stored horizontally, but with the plastic roll ends on - but would this still be a potential issue?

I have just checked 15ft worth of printing and it is all over the show :-(

noregrets

Yep, it is occurring every revolution, at each side of the roll. Does this 'correct' itself if they are stored upright, or are all of my rolls stuffed?

Last edited:

JoshLoring

Canvas is probobly old. I'd hit your vendor up :) tell them you got a bad roll.

Yes, it keeps the weight off of the media. Canvas is finicky too no matter what brand. We print a lot of it do I try and keep it fresh and stored at 70 degrees at all times.

noregrets

Thanks Josh,

ok, so had a partial roll that I loaded and managed to get 18 ft printed fine with not a single instance of the problem.....

And then loaded a new roll for the next run and the problem is back again....and worse, so unfortunately it doesnt appear to be isolated to a single roll.

The crux of it is, I have another 20ft with of printing that needed to be done yesterday, and I cannot get hold of my supplier as he is overseas at the moment.

Does this still look like a 'horizontal storage' issue? or could it be something else?

(just a note, that it should be a solid black where the problem is occuring)

Attachments

• grrr.jpg
    grrr.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 60

MikePro

if there's a pattern of this happening at the same-point of the roll, I'd be more inclined to believe old media/improper storage.
if the problem went away, and is now back on a different roll, then maybe you have an ink supply issue?

what's the testprint look like?
flush lines and increase your head refresh rate maybe?

JoshLoring

Whoa. That's weird according to the feed direction.
My vote is bad media. If your test prints are showing all nozzles printing it should be good!

cdiesel

Looks like another bad roll.. this however, looks like a production issue, where the first problem looks like it happened after rolling onto the core.

You can also get veritical banding on some printers due to dirty bearings or rails, but I don't think that's what this is. Especially if it is only present on some rolls.

noregrets

Thanks everyone.

Yeah it is looking to me to be media, test prints all look good, printer has just had a good service, so all the rails and everything should be sweet.

I have 100 rolls of the stuff, so hopefully they aren't all tainted!!

Correct Color

Yeah, I've seen pretty similar patterns on GS6000's before.

I have one client who has two identical machines who got pretty similar patterns in pretty similar colors on certain types of canvas. Breathing Color is their favorite brand, so these guys aren't scrimping. We did some pretty extensive tests involving trying different RIP's, trying different materials, and trying different lot numbers, and the bottom line is that in certain situations, the only way to get rid of the issue was just to go up to 1440x1440.

I wound up making them 1440x1440 profiles and basically, if they have dark bluish blacks, they just run them that way.

If you're running 720x720, and you haven't tried bumping up the resolution, that just might be your issue.

(If that's your issue, what I think is happening is that at 1440x1440, the GS6000 uses only its smallest dot size, rather than being a multi-dot printer. My guess is that in certain combinations, with the max-size dot, the media is rejecting the ink. So it isn't so much the resolution, but the dot size. Unfortunately, if you turn the mid and large dots off in 720x720, you just don't get enough coverage to get rich color.)

noregrets

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I have been through exactly that - and yes I am also using Breathing Color. I had a lot of problems with banding etc and as you have said the only way around it was to print at 1440x1440. Not ideal as it is very slow, but it works.

Unfortunately this problem however is still occurring at uni directional 1440x1440.

I am pretty sure it is a faulty batch of canvas going by the inconsistency of the problem. Doing 30 copies of the same print on a roll, only a few of them had the issue.

For some reason the GS just doesnt seem to like this canvas - I have been through so much media trying to get it right. Have tried 3 different rips, about every combination of setting possible