• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Selling third party ads on a wrap to reduce client cost

HeavyHitter

Advertising space has value to your customer and others. When the space belongs to your customer they can profit from this space as long as the ad space sold does not over power their marketing message. I have helped a few friends and customers over the years offset advertising cost by selling ad space on their wraps.

Below is a wrap I am working on for a long time friend. He wanted to wrap the truck but was a little unsure about spending the money at this time. I suggested we break the wrap up so he could sell some of the space to other companies. After a couple days he had two of his customers contracted to a one year agreement. With the large ad and one small ad sold he has the cost of the wrap offset.

I dedicated the bottom 1/3 of the wrap to ad space and the top 2/3 to his company. With the top section covered with Do It Right Lawn Care it can still be read across parking lots with cars parked next to it.

This is just a suggestion as a possible solution to those who may not have the budget to get a wrap. In this case the company went out and sold his own ads. I would also suggest asking businesses if they would be interested in purchasing ad space on other wraps. Of course the owner of the vehicle would have to approve of all ads, and they would get paid for having the ad placed on their wrap. You would get paid in this case for selling and placing the ad.

This is just one example of what I did. You can read more about this project on my website.

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• Do It Right wrap.jpg
    Do It Right wrap.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 176
  • DO_IT_ad.jpg
    DO_IT_ad.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Do_it_right_truck.jpg
    Do_it_right_truck.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 103

iSign

I've been working on similar deals. Not only is it good for the vehicle owner, to offset his costs for the top 2/3, but it's good for the sign guy, creating an ongoing changing message account.

HeavyHitter

Yeah it is no different than selling ad space on the hood of our race truck. Well I sold the company a few weeks back so it is no longer "our". LOL United Rentals and other companies are willing to pay for space that will get a grip full of impressions.

Just think of all the companies who pay to be on racecars. Local companies are always looking for ways to extend their advertising dollars. Having an ad on the side of a lawn care company for a year would be cheaper than most other forms of advertising.

Dan

Attachments

• kohv2r_2009car.jpg
    kohv2r_2009car.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 114

iSign

a couple similar ideas

Attachments

• islandrentsproof.jpg
    islandrentsproof.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 116
  • cratercycles.jpg
    cratercycles.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 120

Mikeifg

I'd put the phone numbr lower and bigger. People may pay more attention to the other advertising and loose sight of the bigger ad. I'd liketo try that idea here as well. It might work for a few customers but my city is soo cut throat everybody wants it for free.

jiarby

I think he should decide of he wants to be in the advertising business or in the lawn care business.

Even so, maybe a pool co, roofer, plant/nursery wholesaler, realtor, handyman/remodeler, etc would be interested in paying to advertise on a landscape truck.

HeavyHitter

I'd put the phone numbr lower and bigger. People may pay more attention to the other advertising and loose sight of the bigger ad. I'd liketo try that idea here as well. It might work for a few customers but my city is soo cut throat everybody wants it for free.

Yeah I changed the tel number. I will post updates once the ads are in place. The way we are laying the ads out I doubt they will confuse the message of the trailer.

I know what you mean about people wanting it for free. Many just think it is a "big sticker".

HeavyHitter

I think he should decide of he wants to be in the advertising business or in the lawn care business.

Even so, maybe a pool co, roofer, plant/nursery wholesaler, realtor, handyman/remodeler, etc would be interested in paying to advertise on a landscape truck.

Or maybe Verizon and a major lawn mower manufacturer. I think he plans to advertise another company he owns on the third ad.

As for deciding what he wants to do.... I assume he wants to make money like the rest of us. If this puts money in the bank and helps advertise his company I don't see a problem with it. When people look at a race car with the marque sponsor on the door and hood they do not refer to the car by the secondary sponsors. Sorry for comparing to race vehicles but I have spent many years in the race industry.

I am more than certain people here in town will refer to this truck as the "Do It Right" truck. I understand the lawn care truck is not a race truck. Advertising is advertising. Over the years it has never hurt my company brand to have sponsor logos on the race trailer along with my company brand. People have never called my trailers by sponsor names as we have always made BTF the marque image on the trailer. Nothing is different about this wrap other than the fact he is cutting grass.

Not every company could benefit from an advertisement on this truck. Not every company could benefit the owner of the truck. When picking the arrangement it has to be a win / win relationship in order for it to work.

I am not replying trying to attack your reply so please do not take it that way. I am explaining this idea from my past experiences and how it can benefit. It can benefit the graphics company by helping a client who may not be able to afford a wrap, thus creating a sale. For some of your clients with plenty of money in the bank this approach may not be the best.

Dan

gabagoo

It's a good idea but one would have to be careful who would be advertising along side them. If someone has a bad reputation the general public may think the 2 companies are possibly run by the same people.

HeavyHitter

It's a good idea but one would have to be careful who would be advertising along side them. If someone has a bad reputation the general public may think the 2 companies are possibly run by the same people.

that is a good point. Like I stated above it would certainly have to be a win / win relationship. IMHO... it would the benefit would need to be more toward the owner of the vehicle.

In the contract it could be stated that the advertising company would have to maintain good standing with the BBB and so on.

kpeskin

Be VERY careful about selling advertising to any company that does not use the vehicle as a normal part of business. In many states/jurisdictions there are several criteria that can be used to determine if a sign is on-premise (i.e. connected to the business conducted at that location) or not. One commonly used criterion is whether a vehicle that displays advertising is used in the normal course of business (for that business). Another is whether the sign owner (or display panel owner) receives income for the use of that sign area.

If the city/state/DOT determines that a vehicle is being used for outdoor advertising, now you may fall under billboard control regulation and permitting requirements.

More importantly, as the sign/wrap company who sold your client a product that they can't use as intended, you can expose yourself to a possible lawsuit and very unhappy (former) customer.

Kenny Peskin
ISA Manager of State and Local Government Affairs

kpeskin

BTW, just last year we at ISA battled with the local DOT inspector in Dothan, AL concerning his (incorrect) classification of an on-premise message center as an off-premise display. So I would be doubly concerned about promoting vehicle wrap third-party advertising in Dothan.

HeavyHitter

BTW, just last year we at ISA battled with the local DOT inspector in Dothan, AL concerning his (incorrect) classification of an on-premise message center as an off-premise display. So I would be doubly concerned about promoting vehicle wrap third-party advertising in Dothan.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into this. We have not yet printed the wrap.

Dan

HeavyHitter

OK... in light of the above post I want to make sure I have everything covered before moving forward to "cover" the box truck. LOL I will post up what I find out if anyone else is interested.

Thanks again kpeskin for the heads up and the speedy reply to my PM.

Thanks
Dan