• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Selling To California

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many labels anywhere USA will say something to the effect, may cause cancer according to California codes.......... You're gonna die, does it matter from what ?? If I never see or visit California, does that mean I'll live longer ?? Who cares ?? I know so many people who were concsiencious of what they ate, how they exercised and so many other things and they still died young, from getting hit by a bus, to just falling over from natural causes. Ya just never know.

gnemmas

CalOSHA certainly will be one of the agency knocking on your door.

But mainly, it gave the unscrupulous lawyers an endless revenue stream. As they are in cahoots with the "Law makers".

When ADA effected in Cal, it stated any violation subject to $10,000 fine. we have soo many businesses receiving letters from attorneys teamed up with disabled persons, demanding $4,000 pay-off to avoid being sued. Of course we sold tons of ADA related signage, and contractors raking in millions to remodel restrooms, ramps, accessible routes. Due to media exposure, Legislature amended to allow violators 30 days to correct, and these type of distortion practice reduced to a trickle.

Last August was the New Gender Neutral restroom requirement. All single stall restroom has to be gender neutral. We sold thousands of new restroom signs.

This August is the New and Improved Prop 65 requirement. Imagine how many labels/signs grocery stores have to put up?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
But mainly, it gave the unscrupulous lawyers an endless revenue stream. As they are in cahoots with the "Law makers".

When ADA effected in Cal, it stated any violation subject to $10,000 fine. we have soo many businesses receiving letters from attorneys teamed up with disabled persons, demanding $4,000 pay-off to avoid being sued.

100% true. The lawyers sending out these ADA lawsuit notices are totally ripping off small businesses. Complete scam.

TimToad

CalOSHA certainly will be one of the agency knocking on your door.

When ADA effected in Cal, it stated any violation subject to $10,000 fine. we have soo many businesses receiving letters from attorneys teamed up with disabled persons, demanding $4,000 pay-off to avoid being sued. Of course we sold tons of ADA related signage, and contractors raking in millions to remodel restrooms, ramps, accessible routes. Due to media exposure, Legislature amended to allow violators 30 days to correct, and these type of distortion practice reduced to a trickle.

Last August was the New Gender Neutral restroom requirement. All single stall restroom has to be gender neutral. We sold thousands of new restroom signs.

This August is the New and Improved Prop 65 requirement. Imagine how many labels/signs grocery stores have to put up?

Do you have any sources or links to articles verifying the flood of ADA lawsuits or demands for compensation? I mean FFS, EVERYTHING is on the internet, so finding proof of just about anything should be pretty easy.

Businesses have had over 28 years to get used to following the law. In the vast majority of cases, grace periods are granted for folks to get into compliance.

If one accepts the FACTS that the new "requirements" have lots of exemptions built in as pointed out by others here, are not punishable and anything but a courtesy warning of sorts, it seems like all this hysteria and doomsday predictions are just that.

It would seem to me that if you have sold tons of ADA signage over the years and thousands of the new Gender Neutral Restroom signs, that you'd be thrilled to have such a revenue generator for YOUR business.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My favorite sign is the "DIARRHEA" sign... maybe the box should say, anyone having diarrhea in the last 2 weeks are restricted from opening the container...

I crack up at some peoples notion that California is LA/SF/SD... I live in one of the most backwoods cities on the planet that just so happens to be in "Californy"

Last edited:

AF

I am waiting for the first lawsuit against a printer who ships Prop 65 labels to a customer but doesn't put a Prop 65 label on the shipment.

p7050

I guess I will just get some labels made and stick them on my vinyl decals when I mail them to be on the safe side or maybe just not ship to California

equippaint

If anyones gonna complain about having to put stickers on their products, youd almost expect the sticker makers would be the last to whine about it. My god.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I guess I will just get some labels made and stick them on my vinyl decals when I mail them to be on the safe side or maybe just not ship to California
Or just ship your products and let your clients deal with it as California has no jurisdiction outside of California and can only take it up with the client.

That is unless you have a business license in CA?

gnemmas

Regulatory signage is a good part of our business. Often time, clients came in need one ADA "EXIT" sign to get a thousands of dollars project signed off, I told them these inspectors are my buddies. When we need more business, we will ask my buddies in fire department or code enforcement to do inspections.......

Yes, we are profiting by these regulations. We also understand the ripple effect of these added cost to all business here. We have to pay more for everything.

Sign Works

These signs are required to be posted an all rental properties in Cali, very comforting to residents.

Attachments

• CG - warning copy.jpg
    CG - warning copy.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 255
C

ColoPrinthead

The intention is good, implementation is bad. Both TX and CA suck. No need to debate who sucks more, it is what it is.
Just when this online pissing match between TX and CA couldn't get any better someone from America's wang has to toss in thier 2 cents :big laugh:
This day is off to a great start.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
We have to put up with a lot of nanny state regulatory nonsense here in CA. But we enjoy the honderful climate, the mountains and beaches and the deserts. Y'all are just jealous....and yes I lived in Texas from 1976 to 1980, courtesy of the U.S. Government.