• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Selling To California

p7050

I sell decals to California and was checking if I have to put a label on my decals because of the new proposition 65 law

unclebun

Personally, if I had to put a Prop 65 sticker on something, I'd go overboard and add that the sign will also kill you if it falls on your head, the decal will kill you if you inhale it and it blocks your airway, or if you stick it over your nose and mouth, or if you eat the whole package of them and they block your intestines. Stuff like that.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Below are the exemptions. Looks like it shouldn't affect sign makers much.
  • Governmental agencies and public water utilities
  • Businesses with nine or fewer employees
  • Exposures that pose no significant risk of cancer
  • Exposures that will produce no observable reproductive effect at 1,000 times the level in question
  • Exposures to listed chemicals that occur naturally in foods
  • Discharges that do not result in a "significant amount" of the listed chemical entering any source of drinking water

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Everything in life poses a risk...even baby kittens. It just the Californians need constant reminders of the small threats to their safe space that everyday normal objects...like Starbucks Coffee pose to their lives.

TimToad

Everything in life poses a risk...even baby kittens. It just the Californians need constant reminders of the small threats to their safe space that everyday normal objects...like Starbucks Coffee pose to their lives.

This coming from a guy living in a state that allows a school and apartment complexes to be built next to a fertilizer plant that blow up and kill 15 people and injure over 250.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion

Our little town of 28,500 people has three freakin' Starbucks, so we must be the outlier. I suppose we need to revisit that whole DDT thing, because crops are rotting in the fields all over the country due to a severe lack of farm labor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our are rotting due to rain every day or every other day since April. Last week, we had the longest dry spell in 5.5 months
Planted 35 tomato plants and almost all have rotted in the ground. 450 onions, just rotted and turned to mush. Same with cauliflower, broccoli and other plants. eggplant however, flourished.

I'd still like to know when you guys are gonna leave the country, taking all the Hollywood garbage with you ?? Heck, they couldn't even get into Canada, like they promised.

gnemmas

Please be kind to our Nanny State Officials.

Due to it's caring of our citizenry, legal or otherwise, it regulates business heavily. Businesses are required to post all kinds of signs and decals, in turn, It is good for our business!

While crime rates and homeless population are going though the roof, they are targeting the low hanging fruits, i.e. the businesses.

TimToad

Please be kind to our Nanny State Officials.

Due to it's caring of our citizenry, legal or otherwise, it regulates business heavily. Businesses are required to post all kinds of signs and decals, in turn, It is good for our business!

While crime rates and homeless population are going though the roof, they are targeting the low hanging fruits, i.e. the businesses.

Must be doing something right. We just went from the 7th largest economy on earth to the 5th in less than four years time.

ikarasu

I don't see how anyone can argue these stickers are good.

I love California, I always go there. My first time there though... Almost every store is known to cause cancer. I didn't know why every snuggle store said that... But everyone I checked it seemed they had it up.

I'm AL for warning labels - but California goes a little.overboard. I think most businesses throw the sticker on just to be safe.

When you overdue it,it defeats the purpose. When EVERYTHING is known to the state of California to cause cancer, you just ignore the labels. Then when something is actually.dangerous... You just ignore the labels because your conditioned to.

TimToad

I don't see how anyone can argue these stickers are good.

I love California, I always go there. My first time there though... Almost every store is known to cause cancer. I didn't know why every snuggle store said that... But everyone I checked it seemed they had it up.

I'm AL for warning labels - but California goes a little.overboard. I think most businesses throw the sticker on just to be safe.

When you overdue it,it defeats the purpose. When EVERYTHING is known to the state of California to cause cancer, you just ignore the labels. Then when something is actually.dangerous... You just ignore the labels because your conditioned to.

Where were you visiting and when?

We ACTUALLY operate in California and there has not been some gigantic, draconian, jackbooted agency knocking down our door to compel us to label everything and we certainly aren't seeing anything but a few requests from a couple eco-friendly wineries wanting little table top signs for their tasting rooms. Just like most of the other urban myths running amok about the Sunshine State, this one seems to be either concentrated in a few places or people are over reacting to the new law.

Here is an article about the updates to the 1986 law and it clearly states that the requirements are not mandatory or even enforced. The second paragraph spells it out. They are simply a precautionary warning and good faith overture for businesses. I don't know why people derive so much pleasure running this state down, but judging from the number of hellhole states out there with far deeper problems, I guess its just a case of projection and envy. For those living here in so much displeasure and unhappiness, you all have feet, use them and find some low tax, low regulation "paradise" and just hope some fertilizer plant or open pit copper mine doesn't get built next door.

https://www.law.com/therecorder/201...aug-30-are-you-ready/?slreturn=20180810224955

equippaint

The intention is good, implementation is bad. Both TX and CA suck. No need to debate who sucks more, it is what it is.

ikarasu

Where were you visiting and when?

We ACTUALLY operate in California and there has not been some gigantic, draconian, jackbooted agency knocking down our door to compel us to label everything and we certainly aren't seeing anything but a few requests from a couple eco-friendly wineries wanting little table top signs for their tasting rooms. Just like most of the other urban myths running amok about the Sunshine State, this one seems to be either concentrated in a few places or people are over reacting to the new law.

Here is an article about the updates to the 1986 law and it clearly states that the requirements are not mandatory or even enforced. The second paragraph spells it out. They are simply a precautionary warning and good faith overture for businesses. I don't know why people derive so much pleasure running this state down, but judging from the number of hellhole states out there with far deeper problems, I guess its just a case of projection and envy. For those living here in so much displeasure and unhappiness, you all have feet, use them and find some low tax, low regulation "paradise" and just hope some fertilizer plant or open pit copper mine doesn't get built next door.

https://www.law.com/therecorder/201...aug-30-are-you-ready/?slreturn=20180810224955

SF And SJ. It's been a few years since I've been.. Most of them were something along the lines of they use cleaning chemicals known to the state of california to cause cancer. Every hotel I was in had it... on the outside, and in the hotel room, most of the major stores seemed to have it. I laughed when I saw it at Disneyland, that one I remember clearly! I remember even starbucks had it... Thats about when I stopped paying attention.

I don't live there, so maybe it's just SF/SJ that's like that... but it's a running joke that everything in California causes cancer because of the abundance of decals everywhere stating so. Like I said... I'm all for warnings, and maybe being overly cautious is better than having another Abestos or Led paint situation... It just seems like it's thrown around so much that you ignore it, which is more dangerous than just not having labels.

I'm not going to get cancer from going into Starbucks or Disneyland.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-have-cancer-warning-judge-says-idUSKBN1H5399

Read that. Starbucks and other smaller shops had to pay millions, and start telling people their coffee causes cancer... A judge, not just some random people complaining.. but an Actual judge ruled they had to do it because they couldn't prove it didn't cause cancer.

acrylamide is found in French fries, cereals, peanut butter, chips... etc. So everything theoretically has to be labeled in California as it's known to cause cancer. Which means every fast food place... every restaurant has to say it... It's just crazy.

I think whoever made the proposition had their heart in the right place, but it's being abused, and over used right now.

Again... love California, don't think they're a bunch of hippies, (Hell, I live in Vancouver... We're considered Canadas California) I just think this labeling thing is a bit too much!