• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shooting in NYC near Empire State Building

Desert_Signs

Now the news is saying that there's a strong chance some of those shot were shot accidentally by the police.

There were 11 people shot. One was shot by the 'bad guy'. He then put his gun away and left the scene. The police showed up, found the bad guy, and shot him. Oh, and they also shot the other 9 people too.

Oops.

B Snyder

My uncle is a Deputy Police Chief in the town I live in and he is recommending that I get a gun and a license to carry it. It is a sad truth about the times we live in.

Your uncle should know that if you live in NJ, unless you're related to a Superior Court judge, you've got just about a 0% chance of getting a CC permit.

Scott Reynolds

My uncle is a Deputy Police Chief in the town I live in and he is recommending that I get a gun and a license to carry it.

Your uncle should know that if you live in NJ, unless you're related to a Superior Court judge, you've got just about a 0% chance of getting a CC permit.

In New Jersey, CCW applications is made to the police chief where the applicant resides. Sounds like he might have an in...

B Snyder

The application is turned in to the local PD (or local State Police barracks if there is no local PD) but a Superior Court judge makes the approval or denial.

jaybeeb

yes, good idea because 90 guns per 100 americans is most certainly NOT enough! And as everybody knows, more guns = safer country!

ThinkRight

yes, good idea because 90 guns per 100 americans is most certainly NOT enough! And as everybody knows, more guns = safer country!

:goodpost:
Law abiding citizens need at least a fair fight !
When only the criminal has a gun, the odds are you will be a victim !
Open carry and CCW states have almost no gun violence.
(they have very little)
:wavingflag:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:goodpost:
Law abiding citizens need at least a fair fight !
When only the criminal has a gun, the odds are you will be a victim !
Open carry and CCW states have almost no gun violence.
(they have very little)
:wavingflag:

Well, I just upped the ante over the weekend.

After my close encounter last week, my wife said she wanted to do more practice shooting and I told her she needed a better gun for carry. We looked at a few and we came away with a S&W Bodyguard .38 - 5 shot with laser. Went to the range and she did rather well with it at 25 yards 2 bulls-eyes at 25 yards is good in my book. All the others were close proximity. Oh yeah.... and I picked up a S&W Governor 6 shot. .410's .45 colt and .45ACP
SW_CatList_Bodyguards38.jpg
governor -6.jpg yes, it shoots all of the same or any combination of all three. I'll probably be loading up 3 shot gun shells followed by 3 .45's. In case the first three spray doesn't completely get 'em.... I'll finish 'em off at close range with some .45's

Gino

Premium Subscriber
25 yards? Or 25 feet?
Yards. It was at least 25 or 30 steps to the targets. There were no numbers on the benches, so I paced it off at about 25 or more steps. At 25'.... we'll both hit bulls-eyes all day long. Another range we go to has a 21' pistol/revolver range. This was much further than that.

Besides, for the handguns, I'm only interested in close range.... like 50' or so. The shotguns and now my new Governor will make up for distance. Although the Governor is mine... actually, I won't have it til Wednesday night, it will be an in-home piece available to the both of us and for self defense only.

B Snyder

Bulleyes all day long at 75' with a 2" barreled revolver is quite impressive.

In NJ, if you fire in self defense at 50' you're gonna be asked a lot of questions!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bulleyes all day long at 75' with a 2" barreled revolver is quite impressive.

In NJ, if you fire in self defense at 50' you're gonna be asked a lot of questions!

You misread what I wrote. I said at 25' all day long, not 75'.

Also, we don't plan on shooting at that distance, but are prepared just in case. It's kinda like learning to play an instrument. When I was younger I bought an old spinet piano with a very hard action. As I got better at accuracy, naturally speed came along with it. When I switched to the keyboards I played in the band, I was fast.... and good.
Ever see sports players wearing weights and stuff around their ankles and stuff, well, when one takes those off, it seems so much easier to do those same jumps and throws.
With a firearm, I firmly believe in becoming as accurate and fast as I can and if that means practicing beyond what others tell me I'll use, then I know I can at least do what the others can do and then some.
Besides, if someone is charging you at 50' away... how long do you think you have to wait until they're within your state's safe shooting range ?? Heck, their momentum and possible use of drugs could carry them another 50'. Nope, I'll be prepared if some whack-O comes at me. :thumb:

phototec

After my close encounter last week, my wife said she wanted to do more practice shooting and I told her she needed a better gun for carry. We looked at a few and we came away with a S&W Bodyguard .38 - 5 shot with laser. Went to the range and she did rather well with it at 25 yards 2 bulls-eyes at 25 yards is good in my book. All the others were close proximity. Oh yeah.... and I picked up a S&W Governor 6 shot. .410's .45 colt and .45ACP
View attachment 79764
View attachment 79765 yes, it shoots all of the same or any combination of all three. I'll probably be loading up 3 shot gun shells followed by 3 .45's. In case the first three spray doesn't completely get 'em.... I'll finish 'em off at close range with some .45's

Gino, you were luck to find one, I hear they are selling like hot cakes...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=body+guard+38&x=16&y=13

:omg:

B Snyder

You're right. I guess I joined that info with your prior post that said "Went to the range and she did rather well with it at 25 yards 2 bulls-eyes at 25 yards is good in my book." Even 1 bullseye at 25 yards with a 2" barreled revolver is very good. Ridiculously good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're right. I guess I joined that info with your prior post that said "Went to the range and she did rather well with it at 25 yards 2 bulls-eyes at 25 yards is good in my book." Even 1 bullseye at 25 yards with a 2" barreled revolver is very good. Ridiculously good.

Yeah, she tends to out shoot me most of the time. I did 2 bulls-eyes with my .38 snub nose detective special, but my 357 4" barrel, I got I believe 14 out of 21 within a 4" cluster.

Marlene

what worries me is what kind of training do you all have that carry a gun? the cops were well trained and ended up shooting bystanders so what kind of training is thre for a regular person so they know how to shoot in a crowd? most of these things happen with people around so it is a good question. are there private classes available for urban situations? I know there are classes for hunters but what about stuff like this? it seems like it would be a good idea to have to pass a test (or is that how it works now) before being issued a license to carry a gun like you do to drive a car.

edgette

View attachment 79764
View attachment 79765 yes, it shoots all of the same or any combination of all three. I'll probably be loading up 3 shot gun shells followed by 3 .45's. In case the first three spray doesn't completely get 'em.... I'll finish 'em off at close range with some .45's
You might want to test out the pattern of those 410 at varying distances. I think you will find out of that barrel you're going to want all .45 colts. If you're inside 7 yards you should be able to hit your target with the colt, if you have that 410 (depending on the chamber size and shot) you're going to put very few bbs on target. If you were close enough to actually shoot someone with the 410 I'd rather hit someone with a 225 grain hollowpoint than 3 00 bbs.

This is coming from someone who had a public defender judge, it was cool but not that practical.

edgette

what worries me is what kind of training do you all have that carry a gun? the cops were well trained and ended up shooting bystanders so what kind of training is thre for a regular person so they know how to shoot in a crowd? most of these things happen with people around so it is a good question. are there private classes available for urban situations? I know there are classes for hunters but what about stuff like this? it seems like it would be a good idea to have to pass a test (or is that how it works now) before being issued a license to carry a gun like you do to drive a car.
The requirements for carry depend on your state. In michigan you are required to take an 8 hour class which is to include 3 hours of range time and about 100 rounds fired.

The assumption is that cops are good at shooting, when in fact many departments don't require their officers to qualify more than once per year or require them to shoot X amount of rounds. I'm friends with a local police officer and he said they are required to qualify for their shooting once per year. He goes to their range often to practice but it's not mandatory.

signage

Marlene those cops were not trained to well! First off they shouldn't have fired in the direction of bystanders. If they needed to fire 16 rounds to stop one person something is drasticly wrong. I would like to know how many shots the bad guy took at the police or a/the bystanders. The cops killed more people than the perp. did!