• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I charge more than $29 for this sidewalk sign?

AnthonyRalano

Yes, unless the customer is in an area with high wind currents and you offer nothing custom. Maybe they will buy one everyday?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Pricing aside, when I see (sorry, but...) cheesy videos showing people struggling to do something ridiculously easy (folding up a plastic sign) in an attempt to make their product more appealing, it just screams 'desperate', 'scam', 'too good to be true'....

I think when you resort to portraying something that's easy (folding a plastic sign) as something difficult, you appear to be undermining the general publics intelligence/abilities and instantly lose credibility. It reminds me of those too-good-to-be-true As Seen On TV commercials where some light bright can't figure out how to use a garden hose and needs to buy a shrinky-up hose to compensate for his stupidity.

HulkSmash

Pricing aside, when I see (sorry, but...) cheesy videos showing people struggling to do something ridiculously easy (folding up a plastic sign) in an attempt to make their product more appealing, it just screams 'desperate', 'scam', 'too good to be true'....

I think when you resort to portraying something that's easy (folding a plastic sign) as something difficult, you appear to be undermining the general publics intelligence/abilities and instantly lose credibility. It reminds me of those too-good-to-be-true As Seen On TV commercials where some light bright can't figure out how to use a garden hose and needs to buy a shrinky-up hose to compensate for his stupidity.

I would have to disagree with this statement.

As a customer who has no idea what they're looking for, his videos are pretty spot on. End users love seeing a finished product similar to what they might order.

Unless you hire a professional company it will always look mildly cheesy.

good luck on your venture 858.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
To clarify, I like the video as a whole. I just didn't like the part where the guy couldn't manage to fold up the sign. Well that and saying the signs were wind-proof. The rest of it was actually pretty good I thought.

Marlene

in a mall these might work but I can't see them working outdoors at all. the reason they make A-frames heavy is so they don't blow over. they could work for a weekend event if there was a way to weight them down with a sand bag or cement block but there doesn't seem t be any way to do that

Techman

Unless you hire a professional company it will always look mildly cheesy.

Statistics show that cheesy is out performing high budget. Seems the average people like the average joe and bond with the product better than an ad with the high end perfection.

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
Yeah I agree Mayra is a babe, unfortunately she doesn't work here anymore. She got offered a modeling job we didn't stand a chance :)

As for the cheesiness I get your point but everything in video is over exaggerated. Do you think when you buy the ab cruncher on TV your really going to look like that guy on tv?

I was trying to emphasize that this sign is light and could be setup by my grandma. I don't think she could setup a regular A-Frame.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback/

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I don't see the beef with the product. It is all in the application. If someone is having a one day event outdoors in a park or something this would probably be perfect. Couple stakes and that {family reunion, flag football game, furry larp, whatever} has a way to identify where the are and where to go from both directions or anything else ... where to register, where the bathrooms are, SPONSORS, etc, etc etc. Inside I can see that as a fast "THIS ITEM IS ON SALE" sign that if anyone trips on, kicks, pees on or whatever ... it's not a big deal. I think it depends on the customers needs and how long they are going to be using the sign. I mean ... we all sell banners right? are they any less useful in high wind areas? are they any less of a value to a customer because it's not a more stable sign? .... All in the application.

As for the price ... Find what works for you OP ...

TimToad

I don't see the beef with the product. It is all in the application. If someone is having a one day event outdoors in a park or something this would probably be perfect. Couple stakes and that {family reunion, flag football game, furry larp, whatever} has a way to identify where the are and where to go from both directions or anything else ... where to register, where the bathrooms are, SPONSORS, etc, etc etc. Inside I can see that as a fast "THIS ITEM IS ON SALE" sign that if anyone trips on, kicks, pees on or whatever ... it's not a big deal. I think it depends on the customers needs and how long they are going to be using the sign. I mean ... we all sell banners right? are they any less useful in high wind areas? are they any less of a value to a customer because it's not a more stable sign? .... All in the application.

As for the price ... Find what works for you OP ...

While not trashing the idea, I do think playing devil's advocate the way I have in my posts will hopefully spur the OP to improve the product and address the issues of durability, safety and liability.

I agree with your basic premise about the usefulness of something like this for a temporary event or quick wayfinding purposes with not much expectation of longevity, but I got the impression that his target audience was brick and mortar businesses who would put this thing out in front everyday in lieu of a more traditional "A" Frame type sign. We have customers who come in and complain that even a Signicade Deluxe isn't durable or heavy enough to survive rough handling by careless employees, high winds, etc.

We do a lot of work for several event planners including a couple major marathons, cycling events, triathlons, etc... and the number of signs per event runs in the hundreds. Cost is a major issue for an event that lasts one or two days max.

The cost of getting one with more than the generic business type images being offered seems to be prohibitive for such events. Or if the event planner supplied artwork for hundreds of different signs to be done in the a frame shape, what would the art processing fees look like?

Again, not trashing the idea, just asking what I think are real world questions about it.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
At $29 he's not making anything, but to build a brand and get the bargain shoppers beating a path to his door it might be worth it. Notice the slashed $69. At $69 with no customization and a website order, that might work out. Especially if the average customer orders 2-3.

The $10 for the blank coro sign will always be a loss leader if shipping is free. If you charge for shipping that's doable too for an internet sale. There's only about 12sqft of material on that sign.

Obviously the thread was to help his site, knowing full well it would start a discussion. Signs101 ranks very well on Google. A link from here might be worth the price of a merchant membership - which is what 858 should be paying for.

I personally enjoy watching these guys. They have some innovative ideas. Their pricing doesn't always align, but that shouldn't stop you from offering a similar product to a local market for a reasonable price for everyone.

BTW - when I tried to get on and order a sample, the site wanted to charge me shipping and CA sales tax. I could handle the shipping but I'm not interested in paying CA sale tax here in Nebraska. That's taxation without representation! :Big Laugh