• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign businesses around the country

Justin R.

I own a sign shop in Florida and was thinking about moving in the next couple years. I wanted to learn more about the signs/graphics markets around the country. Any input is welcome. Thanks !

Justin R.

Well, maybe. Or as good. But really we just want to move. My girlfriend and I. I just would want to make sure the market is strong for signs/graphics wherever I go. Just future planing really

Big_Pine

Living in upstate NY before I moved my business to Florida and I can tell you FL is a way better state to run a business tax’s kill you In NY

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Signs are an essential business. You can always branch out into other areas of graphics and advertising too. I would think wherever you go, there are shops that do really really well, and those that don't. It will depend a lot on how adaptable you are. Anyone on here that tells you their market is hot has the local formula worked out, and those that say their market is cold simply don't.

There are billions of dollars in signs and print sold every week in this country, you just have to figure out what your contribution will be.

One thing you could do would be to explore a market you are considering. Use Google and make some calls to figure out who the dominant player is in that town. Then decide if you do business in a similar way. If you do then great, and if you don't, chances are there's a market to be had taking the exact opposite approach they take.

John Miller

Go to Google maps and google a place you are thinking of moving to. Click on search nearby and type in signs. All the sign shops in the area will show. Zoom out to see the number of shops in that area. If the area is saturated, move on.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think every area will have pros and cons. The biggest thing is the signage market is constantly in flux and growing, the hardest areas are the small towns and rural markets, but any city center or suburb will allow for growth even if "saturated".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing/reading on another thread that new zealand might be a good choice. :smile:

De.signs Nanaimo

Pick the lifestyle you want then figure out how to slide into the local sign market. I started making sigsn because I wanted to ski, so I got a job on a ski hill making signs and skied for free for three seasons. I now work in a small market, a city of about 100,000 and my shop is in my garage, I stay small because I want a simple lifestyle, if I wanted to make big money Vancouver has a huge market, but I can't stand city life.

Billct2

Lots of things you can look at, existing competition Like John said, but also the existing businesses. Be nice to pick an area that has some strong economic roots and especially a good mix of them in different fields.
This craziness has shown that no business is a safe bet.

decalman

I got a great idea. Go mobile sign shop like me.

You can be your own boss, and not worry about rent.

Attachments

• A1716D40DF584380A3C8BEE80ADD5ECF.jpg
    A1716D40DF584380A3C8BEE80ADD5ECF.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 173

Jeremiah

I got a great idea. Go mobile sign shop like me.

You can be your own boss, and not worry about rent.
Did you say Mobile Sign Shop or Homeless Sign Shop ? I have a Monile Shop. 20,000.00 commercial trailer (,empty) then all the equipment. 2 people can work out of it. I set it up professionally and I Do pay rent ..
. Location Location Location .

Jeremiah

I want to see this!
We open October 1st. That 2nd location is closed from april 1st to sept 31st. We can not legally be open there more than 6 months. But it does better than our summer shop. 20,000 is not much for a vending trailer like ours

CanuckSigns

Living in upstate NY before I moved my business to Florida and I can tell you FL is a way better state to run a business tax’s kill you In NY

To play devil's advocate, whenever someone from Florida posts in one of the "what would you charge for this" threads they always say they would never get that price in their market.