• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Codes.

N2Harpz

Is there anyone that can explain this one to me. My customer wants to put up a sign about a mile from his shop in a field by the highway. I don't think that he is able to do that. I ran across this and didn't fully understand the first one.

(g) No sign shall be permitted as the principal use on a premises. Signs shall be permitted only as accessory uses unless otherwise specified in this chapter.

(A.) Signs shall be located on the same lot to which they are an accessory use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone that can explain this one to me. My customer wants to put up a sign about a mile from his shop in a field by the highway. I don't think that he is able to do that. I ran across this and didn't fully understand the first one.

(g) No sign shall be permitted as the principal use on a separate premises. Signs shall be permitted only as accessory uses unless otherwise specified in this chapter.

(A.) Signs shall be located on the same lot to which they are an accessory use.

'g' sounds like they might be missing a word......

'A' means you have to have it on your own property, which if you are renting, might present a problem.

It might work better to see the whole thing. Things could be taken out of context this way. The already have an exception by reading further down in the chapter. Reason being.... why is '(g)' before (A.)

cgsigns_jamie

What he's trying to do is build an "off-site" sign or billboard. Most areas won't allow it.
Normally the sign can only advertise business located on the same parcel (lot)

If billboards haven't been outlawed in your area, (your lucky if that's the case) you may consider permitting the sign as such. Then he could make a little extra money and lease space on the sign.

N2Harpz

They are listed in order, but from different paragraphs. I hated to post the entire code list.

He wants to put up a sign in a farmers field, with permission from the farmer. Not a billboard , but a regular business sign.

showcase 66

Does he own the land that he wants to put the sign on? Not sure how it is where you are at but some areas around here will allow you to put up a sign on another piece of land as long as it is your own land. Usually is more of a directional sign for a business off the beaten path.

Not sure if that helps or not.

CentralSigns

My read was that a lot can't contain a sign a only(principle use), that there must be a business to which the sign is advertising. The principle use is the business the secondary use is the sign. the sign for the business must be on the same lot as the business. I'm not a lawyer but that's how I would interpret this.

N2Harpz

No he does not own the land, but has permission.

I wasn't sure what the "principal use" and " accessory use " meant.

Billct2

That is called an "off premises" sign and by those regs they aren't allowed.
You will probably have to go thru the same permitting process as a billboard,
because the situation you describe (renting land to erect a sign advertising a business that isn't on that land) is exactly what a billboard is.