• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Designing - Quote of the day...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sometimes I just am bored with a thread so I say to myself I'm not going to waste time reading it anymore...sometimes I check back throughout the day and I see the same lame thread keep popping back up to the top of the list and I finally click back on it to see WTF are the still going on and on about that lame topic..or are they fighting and arguing about something juicy that I can engage in.

Nope....This is still a lame thread.

equippaint

Sometimes I just am bored with a thread so I say to myself I'm not going to waste time reading it anymore...sometimes I check back throughout the day and I see the same lame thread keep popping back up to the top of the list and I finally click back on it to see WTF are the still going on and on about that lame topic..or are they fighting and arguing about something juicy that I can engage in.

Nope....This is still a lame thread.
You should design your own less lame thread then.

Johnny Best

How the story played out in Rick's mind: He drives up in his Range Rover Evoque, walks up in his Georgio Armani suit with ostrich skin cowboy boots, diamond cluster pinky ring and the family friend leans into Rick's mother's ear and says with a whisper "ay, chihuahua! what does Ricky do for a living?"

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
How the story played out in Rick's mind: He drives up in his Range Rover Evoque, walks up in his Georgio Armani suit with ostrich skin cowboy boots, diamond cluster pinky ring and the family friend leans into Rick's mother's ear and says with a whisper "ay, chihuahua! what does Ricky do for a living?"

It would be a Cadillac CTS-V Hennesey modified Wagon, Kiton suit and Ferragamo kicks while flashing a Patek Phillipe... wouldn't be caught dead in an English SUV and cowboy boots....

signbrad

This thread started well. I was expecting a series of posts with pithy quotes from noteworthy designers. I find quotes like that interesting and thought-provoking.

signbrad

I have a pith helmet...... does that count ??

No. But have another drink. ;)

PITH
essence, heart, substance, nub, core, crux, gist, meat, kernel, the nitty-gritty.

In an effort to prevent this thread from being a string of only one noteworthy quote—which is not a string at all—I am posting a second pithy quote:

“I strive for two things in design: simplicity and clarity. Great design is born of those two things.”

I'm sure many of you know who said this.
I believe that the best sign work is born of these two things, as well.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
No. But have another drink. ;)

PITH
essence, heart, substance, nub, core, crux, gist, meat, kernel, the nitty-gritty.

In an effort to prevent this thread from being a string of only one noteworthy quote—which is not a string at all—I am posting a second pithy quote:

“I strive for two things in design: simplicity and clarity. Great design is born of those two things.”

I'm sure many of you know who said this.
I believe that the best sign work is born of these two things, as well.

Whoever uttered this is an idiot and no doubt a legend in its own mind. First there is function from which follows form which is dictated solely by function. All else is affected nonsense. All else.

This is a noteworthy quote not because it displays any sort of pithy** wisdom but rather because of its inanity.

**Pith is all of the things you've noted as well as then name of a variety of head gear.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's all, wow.

I think that's why I wear mine, but not from monkeys, but all the birds around my place, mostly in the trees. And to keep the bats outta my hair at night. When they get tangled up, it's tough getting them out.

Not to go off track, but I always liked Benny Hill....... with or without his pith helmet.

signbrad

The great Benny Hill was asked why he wore a pith helmet in the jungle and he replied because it protected him from the monkeys pithing down on him from the trees.

Here I was trying to be so serious, Johnny!
Now I'm pithed.

Good thing I walk to work. It's 25 degrees outside, but feels like 16. I'll cool off quickly.
It's a cold day in the neighborhood.

Brad

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Designers

Attachments

• f53daf2c-34b2-482a-82b3-db92937239c4-medium.jpeg
    f53daf2c-34b2-482a-82b3-db92937239c4-medium.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 179

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Design, strange word. Usually when you put "de" in front of a word it means to remove or reduction. Like in Photoshop they have a dehaze tool. Or, the word destroy or debunk. So adding de in front of sign would leave you with nothing on the sign. Now if I spent hours designing a sign and ended up with nothing, now that would make me depressed.
I think I will just call myself De Sign Maker.... "So, who made your sign?" someone will say, and someone else will say "DE-Sign Man did"