• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Motor - Old Sign Motor

Mans59

We have a client that bought an old strip mall and is looking to restore the really old pylon. At one point it turned.

Was wanting to see if anyone has come across the motor and may be able to point me in a direction. Just going around in circles now... No pun intended...

I have attached a picture. (It housed in side the star and makes the star turn)

Any help would be appreciated..

Attachments

• 171208141828631_image.jpg
    171208141828631_image.jpg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 429
  • 171208145251861_image.jpg
    171208145251861_image.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 171208141757186_image.jpg
    171208141757186_image.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 393

chester215

Just call me Chester.
It may just be a generic (for lack of a better term) electric motor. Look for a plate on it with the voltage, rpm etc.
If it has a nameplate with the specs on it, Grainger is a good place to start.

Billct2

I would get the info off it (if possible) and some photos and stop by a place that sells & rebuilds electric motors and see what they say.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Check Municode - Many jurisdictions have since banned rotating or moving signs, so might not be an option.

spectrum maine

it needs to have a mechanism for the electric to rotate without twisting the wires - not sure what it is called but it is a wheel with electrical contact brushes.Similar technology is used in continuous rotation cranes.

Mickey101

Take off the motor and take it to a motor winding shop. They can rebuild it for you. It would probably be a pain trying to retrofit that to work with a different motor at that height.

netsol

the motor appers tp be a standard nema type (i can't identify from the pictures)
grainger is probably cheapest. they own a company called dayton, that manufactures replacements.
these days, it costs more to rebuild, but a motor place will do it in a day or so
the mechanism is called a slip ring. they make a tool for cleaning/burnishing the contact surfaces.

i have a smaller version of that type of tool for the onan generator on my bucket truck. a motor rebuilder can help you out with this

visual800

Yep, they still make new motors that rotate check out google. They are actually not that pricey, i have to question why the clint wants to turn that star and the rest of the sign looks like crap. he could go for a whole redo.

As far as grainger they would be the last place I would buy anything from, they are too damn high, do your online searching