• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign permits

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah............

Those are the codes, ordinances and rules for doing it legally. We all know that everyone here says you don't need them thar stinkin' rules. Do it this way instead........... :covereyes:

:pops_blinking:

Bigdawg

Just Me
We make the customer do the legwork on the property owner approvals or condo association sign-offs - email them the paperwork and they get it back to us. Luckily we don't have to have engineering drawings on most signs.

Last week we had a call from someone to move a sign. The first thing we ask is if it is permitted because we can't touch it if it isn't. Haven't heard back - sure some other company didn't share our concerns, but that's not business we want. We work too closely with the permit office to screw that relationship up - because once you get busted not pulling a permit they are all over you. As they should be :smile:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Yeah I don't think California is that unique... I remember New York having the same basic process. I design signs all over the country and it's pretty much the same process though some areas do not require a sign contractor license or deal with sign criteria.

I'm thinking most do not even review sign codes, permits and ordinances because they just want to make signs and make the quick sale.

What's my favorite line... "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission?" in this state (and few others) forgiveness cost 10,000 bucks, refund of money, arrest and/or loss of contractors license.

It's not the sign shops problem the process is there, it's the business owners.
It's only a problem for the sign shop if they do not have the proper licensing.

sghobbies

Yesterday, our zoning officer stopped by to tell me that soon the sign shops will be liable if the customer doesn't obtain their permit. What????? I can understand if we are installing the sign, but if all the customer wants us to do is make the sign, I don't see where we should be held liable. We currently have a checklist that shows where the permit has been discussed and if we are obtaining for the customer. Is anyone else "REQUIRED" to get the permit "FOR" their customer?

royster13

And did you ask him/her what bylaw you would be violating?...Sounds like something that should be laughed out of court!

Billct2

Have they stopped by Home Depot to tell them they are now responsible for any customers that buys some wire, pipes or 2x4s and installs them without a permit?
Idiots.

Billct2

Not the same. If they charged a Liquor store when someone takes home a bottle and gets drunk then drives that would be similar.

signage

I would say it is more the same. as the sign is made from several ingeediants and the bar mixes alcohol with other ingreediants. Now the state store and Home improvement store would be more the same! state store, home improvement store, electrical supply store, sign supply distributor would all be the same. Bar and sign shops make products/services. I do not agree with this being done but I can see how they came to the conclusion.