• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign torn off - thoughts?

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
Good Day folks,

I need some guidance. One of our clients got in touch with us recently regarding a 2x3' 3mm alupanel sign (not made by us) which was (somehow) torn off a lamp post. I am weighing whether they need to make their material thicker and/or whether the fault is in where the holes were drilled (just two, 1.25" from top and bottom). I have a strong suspicion it was more the hole placement because the panel is torn in two 'V' shapes facing outward, but I could be wrong.

In any case, do you think a thicker alupanel composite would help (6mm 10mm?) or is the problem in the fixture location?

Stacey K

I like making signs
We had an issue with kids tearing signs down and/or bending them near the public restrooms. We decided on .080 aluminum and so far so good. I think in the past the city had used .040 from a previous signmaker.

FlorenceC

So 3mm alupanel composite is apparently what they had done previously, which is already a bit thicker than 0.08". I am waiting to hear back from the client as far as what type of fixture around the back was used - my assumption is a band bracket along the top and bottom.

I'm attaching what the result was - the damage seems pretty localized? To me it seems like this would be really easy to gain leverage against the two drill points. Would moving them even 3-4" inward help?

Attachments

• DamagedSign.jpg
    DamagedSign.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 133

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That is pretty common on post mounted 3mm ACM. Using angle or flat bar behind it and larger washers helps stop that from happening. 080 is better but the sheet price has become relatively expensive.

Stacey K

I like making signs
.080 aluminum is solid metal, the alumapanel is not. That is the difference. Nobody is going to tear a .080 sign off unless he's the Incredible Hunk or a truck hits it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all, regardless of how how on the pole it was, ya never have sharp corners. Always rounded.
Next, it's not the thickness, but the strength.
Your band bracing will help a little bit, but will not stop it from happening again.
This is the only thing you can use and still sleep at night.....

1C6553F4-07C4-45AD-B42F-9193A7EC2754-lg__42410.1557853149.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So 3mm alupanel composite is apparently what they had done previously, which is already a bit thicker than 0.08". I am waiting to hear back from the client as far as what type of fixture around the back was used - my assumption is a band bracket along the top and bottom.

I'm attaching what the result was - the damage seems pretty localized? To me it seems like this would be really easy to gain leverage against the two drill points. Would moving them even 3-4" inward help?
3mm ACM might be thicker but it is 99% weaker. Foam can be technically thicker but doesn't mean it's more sturdy. You can't use 3mm ACM for this... needs to be 080

FlorenceC

Got it - Thanks All! I will take this back to our client with some pricing. Our shop has mostly worked with less permanent media for outdoor use in the past, and while we do use ACM and aluminum, often times it's either for interior work or it's a lot smaller.