• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Warehouse Package Purchase

Pinfinity

This is my first post on this site. Looking forward sharing lots of sign know how etc. Anyway, I'd like to get some feedback on my purchase of Prism jet vj48" printer, 54" Q cutter with arms, 54" Cold press laminator, material take up unit, 2 year in house warranty, starter kit, vinyls, ink, and cleaning supplies with shipping for $16,450. as a package deal from Sign Warehouse. Any thoughts on this being a good deal?

Dennis

SignManiac

I think you paid too much. Home Depot sells the same setup for half that price. But it will still make you rich, so not to worry.

Pinfinity

Really! I called Home Depot and they blew me off! I should have got someone else on the phone over there.

Malkin

Welcome!

I have no idea if that's a good deal for those specific machines, although that does seems fairly low for that much equipment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome form PA...................................

Look for the thread about the 2010 NorEaster mixer next week and try to come. You'll get plenty of answers to your questions there.

Mosh

You have any knowledge of the sign industry? If so you know you paid TOO much! Sorry to be on the bust bandwagon but this is the reality of it. 48" is an odd size for print media and you are going to be limited to material. 54" is the common size. Take it back if you can. I would NEVER get anything from signwarehouse. They are like used carsales men of the sign industry! Been doing this since 1988 so I know from experience.!!!!!!

Get a 54" printer and cutter or like me Roland print/cut machines, I have 4 of they going now.

CentralSigns

Your right Mosh you get what you pay for. I was joshing about Rona. I have a Roland printer and a Summa plotter. I also have a Chinese Puma plotter, but by far the brand named equipment, is easier to run with less mistakes or waste. I have a train wreck every day on the Puma.

JBarraxSW

Pinfinity.
Thank you for your business!
Yes, you got a good deal. The comment about Home Depot is nonsense and only underscores the fact that this is a value no one else in the industry can touch. The reality of the situation is, our fellow Mutoh dealers don't have access to this printer, so they can't sell it. So what they can't sell, they throw rocks at.

The most common scare tactic our esteemed competitors use is the assertion that you can't get media for a 48" printer. We continue to hear that despite the fact that it has been disproved repeatedly. We have over 100 sku's of ecosolvent print media you can use in your VJ48. You can view the list here.

SE SignSupply

Pinfinity.
Thank you for your business!
Yes, you got a good deal. The comment about Home Depot is nonsense and only underscores the fact that this is a value no one else in the industry can touch. The reality of the situation is, our fellow Mutoh dealers don't have access to this printer, so they can't sell it. So what they can't sell, they throw rocks at.

The most common scare tactic our esteemed competitors use is the assertion that you can't get media for a 48" printer. We continue to hear that despite the fact that it has been disproved repeatedly. We have over 100 sku's of ecosolvent print media you can use in your VJ48. You can view the list here.

As your competition I would like to point out these are your customers, not your competition. :thumb:

OneUpTenn

I bought a similiar package from SignWarehouse when I started only my printer and cutter are both larger...but seriously, I rarely use the machines for their entire width especially the cutter. You are fine with what you have. You will do great. Both my machines have done really well for my business and overall I am pretty darn pleased with them. I think most of the problems I have are user errors...haha.

Here is a pointer though....Be really careful when you are testing your cutter for the first few times. I did not know what I was doing, had the blade out too far and cut the "cutting strip" all to pieces and had to replace it within the first few months. Also make sure you release your grips at night, this, also hurt me since I didnt know that leaving them engaged would mess up your pinch rollers. Luckily I did have the larger cutter and just used the two pinch rollers from the two that are "parked" most of the time and a friend that helped me change them.

Good Luck to you. I love this business (most of the time).

This is a great forum as well so be nice to everybody, they may be the one that holds the answer to the question you have at 3am for the job you have to get out by 8am.

royster13

It does not matter what equipment you buy, there will always times where is not enough......So all you can do is the best you can with what you have and find merchant members for the 10% or 15% of the jobs you can not do in house.....

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think you paid too much. Home Depot sells the same setup for half that price. But it will still make you rich, so not to worry.

Seriously - really no call for that...

I just paid $10,650 for the same setup at Rona. They were awesome to deal with.

or this if it wasn't so...

You guys make a lot of assumptions about our new members. He asked an honest question - looking for some feedback from professionals. Instead he immediately got handed a line of crap... and I'm not sure exactly why.

I see a lot of that attitude around here anymore and it sucks. Anyone "new" is treated like pond scum you wipe off your shoes for asking questions that are a natural part of learning the trade.

IMHO if you don't want to help them - or think that helping a new sign-maker is somehow beneath you... my best advice is just to not post in the thread. If all you're looking for is to give someone a line of crap - go over to NHB and have at it... New members deserve some respect too - unless they show they don't deserve it... but that's not the case here.

Pinfinity - gotta say - you took it with grace... and since I see the registrations... I know how long you've been in the business...

petesign

I second the post about a 54" printer. You are going to need to print 4x8 signs fairly often, and banners too for that matter. With a 48" media printer, you might be able to print 45-46" wide. Which means you have two options, sell a 46"x96" banner as a 4x8, or seam your graphics if it's a sign. Your banners will require hemming, so there's an inch off of each side..

Just my 2 cents worth. Not every job is a 4x8, probably only 5% of them are, so it's not the end of the world. If it works like you want it to, and you are happy with it, by all means, go to town! :) I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, just letting you know the shortfalls of having that size printer.

Best of luck on your new venture!
-pete

Stealth Ryder

I second the post about a 54" printer. You are going to need to print 4x8 signs fairly often, and banners too for that matter. With a 48" media printer, you might be able to print 45-46" wide. Which means you have two options, sell a 46"x96" banner as a 4x8, or seam your graphics if it's a sign. Your banners will require hemming, so there's an inch off of each side..

Just my 2 cents worth. Not every job is a 4x8, probably only 5% of them are, so it's not the end of the world. If it works like you want it to, and you are happy with it, by all means, go to town! :) I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, just letting you know the shortfalls of having that size printer.

Best of luck on your new venture!
-pete

Not True... This machine prints 47.24" in a Bi-Directional mode and 48.00" in a Uni-Directional mode. Use media 50" wide...

Kemble

I bought the same package from SignWarehouse back in June and I can't tell you how much I'm in love with it. You did get a better deal than me AND you got the take up reel in which I did not (I think a phone call may be in order :p ).

I sell a niche product and therefore the 48" is perfect for what I do, I probably could of gotten away with a 30" but I was sold on the Mutoh brand. The customer support from SignWarehouse is Amazing. I can call then with any question I have and get a live representative in a matter of minutes (during operational hours of course).

DON'T LISTEN to the ppl who are bashing you on not getting a 54". WHO CARES ??? If they have 1/2 a brain then they would be a Merchant Member here on 101 and should be introducing themselves to you & focusing more on making a good impression in hopes to be remembered when you do happen to get that job that requires a larger printer.

I've used a few Merchant Members here already since we went Full Color and I could tell you who I would use again and who I would not.

petesign

I wasn't bashing, he asked for advice, and based on the information I had - I gave my thoughts. Since the machine prints 48" wide, it sounds great to me! My 54" Mimaki prints 52" on a 54" roll. Didn't know his 48" machine would actually print 48" :)