• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Writer expanding into Vinyl - Connecticut- Lot's to learn ! Plotter advice

Craig914

Hello ! Learned sign writing/painting in the 70's gold leafing fire trucks at a Fire Truck manufacturer in Ohio during college and 2 years in a highly skilled sign shop in Columbus Ohio ..went into the corporate world in furniture design and now in semi-retirement getting back into signage focusing on boats, trucks and "lower overhead signage" out of my home. My early years working with journeymen sign painters trained me with solid skills that I am now applying to the vinyl work. I have successfully completed several "yacht level" boats and subbing out my vinyl cutting but need to buy a plotter and thinking of a smaller 24 inch Graphtec 7000 series. I have read mixed reviews and would really appreciate some guidance from the seasoned sign pros on this site....thanks for your help !! Craig

signheremd

Graphtec makes solid workhorse plotters with great prices. If you can afford it, go 30" or wider as that will allow you to expand your capabilities down the road. We have an ancient 30" which was retired once and brought back out when a Roland 30" died. We also have a FC9000-160 60" that can contour cut printed vinyl. This machine we use to contour cut vinyl printed on our Roland XR640 SolJet ecosolv printer and our FuildColor flatbed UV printer. Both Graphtec machines are great, but the shop favorite right now is the old 30" - it can print right to the edge of the vinyl. handles small text like a champ, and plots at good speed. If you think you might add a wide format printer, price out the FC9000-160. Its electric eye will allow you to print on one machine and cut on another, it can cut very small text well, and can be used for vinyl from 15" to 60"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not consider a print-n-cut..... all-in-one ?? 30" or 54" whatever ya can afford. Odds are that within a few weeks or months, you'll be needing a digital print. Why not do your homework now and save time and effort ??

Billct2

Why not keep lettering? It's a skill not many have and you can cultivate a clientele. I still do some gold leaf transom and fire truck work.

citysignshop

Hello ! Learned sign writing/painting in the 70's gold leafing fire trucks at a Fire Truck manufacturer in Ohio during college and 2 years in a highly skilled sign shop in Columbus Ohio ..went into the corporate world in furniture design and now in semi-retirement getting back into signage focusing on boats, trucks and "lower overhead signage" out of my home. My early years working with journeymen sign painters trained me with solid skills that I am now applying to the vinyl work. I have successfully completed several "yacht level" boats and subbing out my vinyl cutting but need to buy a plotter and thinking of a smaller 24 inch Graphtec 7000 series. I have read mixed reviews and would really appreciate some guidance from the seasoned sign pros on this site....thanks for your help !! Craig
Good to hear some ol dawgs are keeping the craft going!...I can't give you a name ( other than Gerber) but if there's one thing I've seen on boats, it's large, arced text on the transom. This might push you toward a larger plotter than you first think, as the overall height could push 30-40-50". That said, do you want to have your plotter make pounce patterns, as well as cut vinyl? That's a pretty limited selection...some of the old Gerbers, Summa, Ioline as I recall....not sure who makes what anymore! It doesn't sound to me like you need one that reads optical crop marks from printed output...that's a whole 'nother production process.
for the volume I'm guessing almost any lightly used cutter/plotter will do the job for you....sticking to the 'name' brands is a good idea, just for ease of getting drivers ( computer software to direct the cutter) and blades, parts etc.
have fun, don't get wet! ;-b)

Mark Van Dillen

I started out as a commercial artist and fell into a awesome Signpainter job and worked w/Journeyman for 15 years who taught me how to make a saleable product--Signs.
Started my own business in 1994 and still going. Beats the hell out of working! If you enjoy what your doing you will never work a day in your life.

Craig914

Graphtec makes solid workhorse plotters with great prices. If you can afford it, go 30" or wider as that will allow you to expand your capabilities down the road. We have an ancient 30" which was retired once and brought back out when a Roland 30" died. We also have a FC9000-160 60" that can contour cut printed vinyl. This machine we use to contour cut vinyl printed on our Roland XR640 SolJet ecosolv printer and our FuildColor flatbed UV printer. Both Graphtec machines are great, but the shop favorite right now is the old 30" - it can print right to the edge of the vinyl. handles small text like a champ, and plots at good speed. If you think you might add a wide format printer, price out the FC9000-160. Its electric eye will allow you to print on one machine and cut on another, it can cut very small text well, and can be used for vinyl from 15" to 60"
Thanks for your quick reply to my inquiry ! I am "digesting" the various responses and appreciate them all. Thx again !

Craig914

Why not consider a print-n-cut..... all-in-one ?? 30" or 54" whatever ya can afford. Odds are that within a few weeks or months, you'll be needing a digital print. Why not do your homework now and save time and effort ??
Thanks for the suggestion Gino. I will research your suggestion for a print n cut. I have two "friendly" shops that can print what I need and my space in limited right now. My thoughts are to start with a plotter and graduate if needed but my two other resources can help as well. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and I will look into your suggestion. Thanks Craig

Craig914

Why not keep lettering? It's a skill not many have and you can cultivate a clientele. I still do some gold leaf transom and fire truck work.
Hello Bill and thanks for supporting the brush ! I fully intend to remain lettering while I expand my options. When pitching potential clients, I always mention the hand lettering capabilities and the fire truck history often gets the "wow, really?!" response. Thanks , Craig...what state are you in? I see teh ct in your name handle.

Craig914

Good to hear some ol dawgs are keeping the craft going!...I can't give you a name ( other than Gerber) but if there's one thing I've seen on boats, it's large, arced text on the transom. This might push you toward a larger plotter than you first think, as the overall height could push 30-40-50". That said, do you want to have your plotter make pounce patterns, as well as cut vinyl? That's a pretty limited selection...some of the old Gerbers, Summa, Ioline as I recall....not sure who makes what anymore! It doesn't sound to me like you need one that reads optical crop marks from printed output...that's a whole 'nother production process.
for the volume I'm guessing almost any lightly used cutter/plotter will do the job for you....sticking to the 'name' brands is a good idea, just for ease of getting drivers ( computer software to direct the cutter) and blades, parts etc.
have fun, don't get wet! ;-b)
Thanks and ALL great considerations.....My 2 sign friends have large plotters and my initial work space is limited so I thought I would start smaller and sub out anything I cannot handle. I have two great relationships with more equipped shops. I did think about the pouncing and while I have not researched that it certainly would be nice ! I think the high end Graphtec can pounce but this is a good thing for me to look at. I appreciate your thoughts and will consider all of them. Thanks, Craig

Craig914

I started out as a commercial artist and fell into a awesome Signpainter job and worked w/Journeyman for 15 years who taught me how to make a saleable product--Signs.
Started my own business in 1994 and still going. Beats the hell out of working! If you enjoy what your doing you will never work a day in your life.
Mark....It IS very gratifying when a hand lettered sign is completed.....way more than vinyl, but I am going to do both as needed and still keep a sign kit handy. Just bought some new brushes and fresh One Shot. I find that the journeymen training gives me an edge in layouts and overall sign design. I have a lot of hand lettered chalksigns on Instagram ....#chalksignpro Thanks Craig in CT

Billct2

Hello Bill and thanks for supporting the brush ! I fully intend to remain lettering while I expand my options. When pitching potential clients, I always mention the hand lettering capabilities and the fire truck history often gets the "wow, really?!" response. Thanks , Craig...what state are you in? I see teh ct in your name handle.
yep, I'm in CT

Craig914

Craig914, what brand of size for gold leaf do you recommend.
Dux Quick Size seems to be the experts recommendation. I have used One Shot but going to buy some Dux sizing. For Gold leaf, Wehring and Bilmeier is made in the USA and recommended by the people I trust and another good one is MInetti.

Billct2

I used Dux on my last job seemed fine. I buy my goldleaf & supplies from Art Essentials in NY. They often have some good deals on surface golds