• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs 101 Business Model

Would you prefer to pay membership dues for a smaller, higher quality forum?

• Yes

Votes: 78 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 192 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It has been proposed that the business model for Signs 101 be changed so that its primary revenue sources would be from paid members rather than from advertisers. In this event, the resulting changes would be:

• Removal of Signs 101 from search engine indexing
  • Unregistered members would not be able to view any posts or pictures
  • Registered members would be subject to membership dues to be determined but probably $50 to $100 per year with shorter terms available to the unsure
The net result of such changes would have a definite effect as far as drastically reducing our membership and levels of activity. In addition, there would be far less new members. The remaining membership and activity would, presumably, be of a much higher quality.

Would you prefer to pay membership dues for a smaller, higher quality forum or leave things as they are?

ChiknNutz

• Removal of Signs 101 from search engine indexing - how come?
  • Unregistered members would not be able to view any posts or pictures - I like this idea. Why can't this be done in either case?
  • Registered members would be subject to membership dues to be determined but probably $50 to $100 per year with shorter terms available to the unsure - sounds okay to me

Flame

Removal of Signs 101 from search engine indexing - how come?

So customers wouldn't be able to find all the info, OR us. I've had 2 customers now find me on this forum, and I don't even use my business name or personal name on here...

Sign_Boy

Fred has to pay for gas somehow LOL.

$50 - $100 per year...
Not that bad think of it as continuing education.

You mention removing 101 from search engine indexing, how can this be done?

In short would you be making this more private? Kind of like our own Cigar club.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Because you have to stop google from indexing the site. Otherwise #2 is useless when they can just look at google's cached copy of the posts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
  • Removal of Signs 101 from search engine indexing - how come?
Because an oft heard complaint is customers and buyers finding relevant posts from Signs 101 on Google.
  • Unregistered members would not be able to view any posts or pictures - I like this idea. Why can't this be done in either case?
Because our current business model is to provide high traffic for our advertisers. We provide three times the traffic from the "can look but can't post" pool of unregistered visitors as we provide registered members.
  • Registered members would be subject to membership dues to be determined but probably $50 to $100 per year with shorter terms available to the unsure - sounds okay to me
Kool!

SirSlarty

Another Forum I visit that's for a niche market keeps their boards open to the public but members can pay for access to exclusive boards more insider info. I think it works rather well.

D&Tgraphics

Sign me up Fred. I'm already paying now, I'll definetly keep paying if it becomes more private. I too don't like that my customers can find me on here. I have to watch what I say and sometimes that's really hard. :)

S

SignTech

$50-100 bucks a year is fair! I have learned more on Signs101 in one year than in 4 years in business. I have also shared a few things that helped others grow.

* Removal of Signs 101 from search engine indexing

Bigdawg has a good point. But the search would have to be specific and any further cashed pages would not come up because you would have to join. Works the same for Physician and Medical forums .......

* Unregistered members would not be able to view any posts or pictures

Should be that way anyway ....... IMO

Should be a splash page that explains s101 and how to join and basic requirements.

* Registered members would be subject to membership dues to be determined but probably $50 to $100 per year with shorter terms available to the unsure

No issue .... well worth it.

;)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
For the average sign maker I'm thinking there has to be more benefits than a forum with re-hashed information, off topic-rants and the occasional newbie slap. As good as this forum is, it's possible to screw it all up....

this seems like a good model...more than a forum but it relies heavily on participation... http://www.thedesignersinnercircle.com/

a few may know what I am talking about if they remember Signweb and SignIndustry forum in their heyday. They were brought down by change (mosty software) this seems like a very drastic change.

I am not afraid of clients finding me here but the rogue member starting crap.

slappy

I think it's 1 in 100 that a YOUR customer would come onto this site and find their prices. It's no different from them stumbling across signcraft and seeing their layout in the "what's it cost to produce" section. If your worried about them finding there work here, simply do not type in their business name. A search engine works based off what you type. If it becomes a pay site, it's been a pleasure to have known you all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
For the average sign maker I'm thinking there has to be more benefits than a forum with re-hashed information, off topic-rants and the occasional newbie slap. As good as this forum is, it's possible to screw it all up....

this seems like a good model...more than a forum but it relies heavily on participation... http://www.thedesignersinnercircle.com/

a few may know what I am talking about if they remember Signweb and SignIndustry forum in their heyday. They were brought down by change (mosty software) this seems like a very drastic change.

I am not afraid of clients finding me here but the rogue member starting crap.

That's a wonderful example of something to shoot for but I don't think it will happen as we currently have evolved and with me as an owner who has too full a plate running three businesses including Signs 101.

As far as it being a drastic and risky change, I agree, hence the poll. I personally doubt that the numbers are there to even consider it. At the same time I don't see the similarity with what SignWeb and Sign Industry did. Their approach has done nothing but become more advertising based and is complicated by the fact that the guy who started SignWeb left and then became their competitor by starting Sign Industry.

slappy

i was on Signoholics yesterday, entirely to confusing for me. I gave up signforums too for the confusion. Wasn't worth me paying after they switched it to a pay site to sit their and have to figure out how the site functions. Myspce is being gay too with all these new features. I barely log onto that anymore. Glad youtube is still the same after they were bought.

Pro Image

What about having a area simillar to the NHB section that you cant get to untill you have had a certain amount of posts......Like 100 or so.....that way by the time they get there we could figuer out if they are real or not.......Also make it so the public or anyone not over the set amount of posts can view the section.......

If this is possible......

Status
Not open for further replies.