• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple store window decals

reximages

I have a customer that wants nine 14 inch by 66 inch windows on their storefront decaled. Simple one color, but possibly two color vinyl. Each window is simple one or two words.

I own an Ioline 100 plotter that works great with the Avery vinyl. I do not know what to charge the customer and for the installation also?

Is 12 cents a square inch reasonable fee?

What should I charge?

And, by the way, please don't beat up on me too hard, since this is my first attempt at writing on anybody's free forum.

tomence

what does it come to $110 dollars per decal. I think that is a good price i hope you are not including installation in that price.

Vinylman

Is 12 cents a square inch reasonable fee?

What should I charge?

And, by the way, please don't beat up on me too hard, since this is my first attempt at writing on anybody's free forum.

Sorry for this, BUT! Are you REALLY looking to charge "by the square inch"?

Get yourself a copy of the "Sign Writers Price Guide" or something that will give you a REALISTIC idea of what real sign people charge for their work.

You, and others like you who DO NOT HAVE A CLUE what your operating expenses are, are KILLING what was once a decent way of providing a good living for people to raise kids, feed your family, pay for your house payment, turn on the electric , pay for a gas bill now and then, and keep the insurance man happy when he needs paid.

My rant is over.

S

scarface

I don't like to give pricing through open forums but i would be somewhere around $160 installed 1 color + travel time

Get the sign craft price guide, google it.

Fitch

What is achieveable $ wise in one area is not in another. On that basis, it is rather a silly question. All 13,298 members could give an honest price and based on their overheads, materials costs, stock on hand, desired hourly rate etc... they may alll be different.

If there is something you learn today: here it is.

CHARGE WHAT THE JOB IS WORTH !!!!!!!!! Not a cent less.

If you want an accurate price in your area - go visit the other sign shops. At worst take all costs (all the way down to screws, insurance etc) and the ask yourself "how much do I want to make on this job for the energy and time I put into it." Add the two together and there is your pricing.

The only time you should compare towns / counties / states is if you are curious about the performance of the sign industry in an area, or say a "what if". Even in small towns, a niche market will always command a higher price, so be cautious not to price vinyl at handpainted prices.

Hopefully you see WHY it is not the best question to ask.

Price it... you will either get the job or not. That's business. Where you will make your money is not when you are cheaper, but you are better, faster, more skilful at the job than the next guy. As an example if you make $90 in 3 hrs - thats $30 per hour. If I do the same job for $60 in one hour - I have doubled your hourly rate, and onto the next job, or gone fishin'.

thesignguy1986

I'm not big into open pricing but I'd be at $13.50 a piece = $121.50 + $40 to install for a total of $161.50 and for 1 color and if its 2 color I'd add 50% of the price make it it $182.25 plus install. Since I'm a nice guy with the install just round up to $225 lol

reximages

I knew somebody like Vinylman would give his two bits worth out of anger over I don't know what. I really appreciate everybody's response over a stupid forum question about pricing. I do have a copy of the Sign Writers Pricing Guide. This is my first day on signs101 and I am just trying to be a participant.

The main issue is competition. I am 55 years old, homeowner, husband, tax payer, screenprinter, selfemployed salesman in the wearables and promotional products industry, and, I have yet to be in a business where I am the only one in the business I am engaged.

I make my living bidding jobs and fulfilling them. You all really told me stuff I already know. I am sorry I asked a question I knew someone would be peaved over.

I work out here in the beautiful mountains of Oregon. I have a ton of customers that keep me going so, wow, Vinylman, thanks for beating up on me, and keep your chin up. Life is too short to get angry at a person 2700 miles from you.

Artgunner

Welcome to the forum! I have a running foot charge for stuff like that. Then charge install time. You will need to determine your labor rate and what you need for your vinyl. I don't price by the inch. I know this may not be what you are after, but everyone charges different rates for everything as you know. Many times too cheap and then there are the ones that are way high and I wonder what the hell I'm doing with my pricing. In the end, I always charge what I think is fair, that I need and move on.

Cheers, Art

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow.... Fitch..... I'm finding myself really liking you. :loveya:

You gave the OP all kinds of advice without posting any numbers in the 'Open Forums'.

Should rex really become interested in preserving the sign industry, perhaps he will look into a 'Premium' subscription and find more answers there.

Oh yeah...... welcome rex, from PA.................................................

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
14 at $58.39 each plus a flat $50 to install them all.

S

scarface

I don't like to give pricing through open forums but i would be somewhere around $160 installed 1 color + travel time

Get the sign craft price guide, google it.

Oh darn, i didn't see the "nine" and quoted for only 1 window lol

I'd be at $44 each plus install & travel time for NINE (9) 1 color