• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sit down or stand up?

AUTO-FX

I just switched from a regular desk to a stand up position. I've been having issues with neck/shoulder pain and tried a couple of different monitor positions. Now I'm trying a stand up desk. I'm thinking I might burn a few more calories this way as well. I used to have a stand up when i was working in a higher production environment and preferred it. There was an article on MSNBC online just last week about employers providing/not providing stand ups for those requesting them.
So which do you prefer? Having trouble with your feet standing up all the time?

showcase 66

I had a stand up desk when I was in a higher production job as well. For what I was doing at the time, I liked it. My main computer is at a sit down desk but the computer we do our cutting on is about standing level. Granted I am only 5'-6" so its not that high to most people. I also have a drafting chair that when it is raised all the way up, I have to jump to get on it. Half the time I am in my office I am standing just leaning over to use the computer during the day. Still its nice to have the chair to lean back in and close the door and take a quick nap.

Did you buy a stand up desk or did you make one?

Pat Whatley

Personally I'd buy a better chair. I can't believe how many people don't think a thing about spending $30,000 on printing equipment but balk at the idea of spending more than $50 on a desk chair. You would be amazed at how much better your back and neck will feel if you buy a good ergonomic chair.

Standing works out fine for us for some things but for designing or writing I almost have to be seated.

WildWestDesigns

Personally I'd buy a better chair. I can't believe how many people don't think a thing about spending $30,000 on printing equipment but balk at the idea of spending more than $50 on a desk chair. You would be amazed at how much better your back and neck will feel if you buy a good ergonomic chair.

Standing works out fine for us for some things but for designing or writing I almost have to be seated.

I agree with Pat here. Also don't got with looks as well. Sometimes that can be deceiving. Dad has the all Cherry wood office and then he has this almost industrial cubicle chair in it, but it will keep you from having issues with soreness if you happen to be in it for long periods of time.

Although it's quite a bit more then $50.

SignosaurusRex

According to my chiropractor, most people have a tendency to hunch their back and/or shoulders while working at a desk on the computer, a posture that can cause neck, back and shoulder aches as well as other issues. The key is to sit or stand with a straight back, chest out and shoulders back. I found this to be very helpful for me regardless of whether or not I stand or sit. My work stations are all at a height that I can sit or stand and I have extra cushion floor mats.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is too funny. We're building a standing station this very minute. We're putting a new station in with our flatbed, because it's running about 8 to 10 hours a day on average and to avoid mishaps, we want a station in that room. We've decided to make it standing because it will be hooked into Jeremy's computer via VNC or remote desktop so we won't lose a thing. When he needs to be out with the flatbed for certain jobs, he'll still have both computers at his fingertips.

We'll be putting a nice mat for standing because all of our floors are cement and feet do get tired quickly when standing on cement. Then you'll stoop or slouch, so we'll have a step to rest your foot and a highchair for those times you need to be there for a while.

I don't think I'd want a standing station for my normal everyday use for computers. Like said, get a better chair or change up your monitor to fit better. I seriously believe because monitor screens are getting so large... there's no one perfect solution because you're moving your head from top to bottom and that's what wreaks havoc on your neck.... looking at the stuff high on your screen, then looking down at the keyboard or the bottom of your screen. It gets very tiring staring in the same direction for long periods of time.

We used to have the same problem when working off an easel. If you had 15 4' x 8's to do and wouldn't move them enough to give yourself a chance at good posture, your shoulders and neck would tighten up real bad for days.

petepaz

i have a herniated disc and 2 bulging discs so i have to be very aware of how i sit and if i sit for too long. i don't have a preference of which, i just have to make sure i don't stand or sit for too long i have to move around and like i said you have to be aware of how you sit good posture is extremely important especially if you have an existing condition
also like pat said it's worth the extra money on a chair to make sure you are comfortable.
if you think about it you spend more time at your office then you do at your house so you should be comfortable

AUTO-FX

my feet hurt already...
yes, you guys are right about spending the money on a chair - something your going to be using many hours each week - big difference when you have a higher end chair.

GypsyGraphics

10 years ago is when i really starting working long hours and it was starting to get to me. i hemmed and hawed over buying a Herman Miller Aeron chair for a month because i thought $500 for a chair was insane.

I LOVE THAT CHAIR... it's been worth every penny and looking at it now... i think it's going to last me another 10 years! buy the my comfort will have cost me $25 a year.... well worth it.

i also have a little step excersier next to my desk. my computer use to announce every hour on the hour and i'd get up and do 2 mins on the stepper at the top of every hour. i know 2 mins doesn't sound like much, but dang that little thing a good workout. i have people come in my office all the time and want to try it. they get off withing a few second saying "wow, that harder than it looks."

i don't know why but it's been months since my computer has announced the top of the hour. you'd think it would have become habit. but the hours just seem to tick by without me noticing. i'm going to fix that TODAY!

if you sit all day, i'd highly recommend both the chair and the stepper!!!

sit-stand.jpg
thought i'd add a pic... not that you need to see the chair, but that stepper's a sturdy little thing... sturdy enough even for a big guy

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

10 years ago is when i really starting working long hours and it was starting to get to me. i hemmed and hawed over buying a Herman Miller Aeron chair for a month because i thought $500 for a chair was insane.

I LOVE THAT CHAIR... it's been worth every penny and looking at it now... i think it's going to last me another 10 years! buy the my comfort will have cost me $25 a year.... well worth it.

i also have a little step excersier next to my desk. my computer use to announce every hour on the hour and i'd get up and do 2 mins on the stepper at the top of every hour. i know 2 mins doesn't sound like much, but dang that little thing a good workout. i have people come in my office all the time and want to try it. they get off withing a few second saying "wow, that harder than it looks."

i don't know why but it's been months since my computer has announced the top of the hour. you'd think it would have become habit. but the hours just seem to tick by without me noticing. i'm going to fix that TODAY!

if you sit all day, i'd highly recommend both the chair and the stepper!!!

View attachment 58268
thought i'd add a pic... not that you need to see the chair, but that stepper's a sturdy little thing... sturdy enough even for a big guy

That's the chair my dad uses. I didn't want to announce the price because I didn't want people to think my dad was nuts, but if they do think that at least he wouldn't be the only one. No offense GG.

GypsyGraphics

That's the chair my dad uses. I didn't want to announce the price because I didn't want people to think my dad was nuts, but if they do think that at least he wouldn't be the only one. No offense GG.

NO OFFENSE TAKEN IN THE LEAST WildWestDesigns... i felt sick to my stomach for days after i bought that chair and almost took it back! my husband convinced me to buy it and insisted i keep it... god love em!

i've been told i have very good posture, and i can say with certainty if i'd been sitting in a crappy chair for the last 10 years... that surely would not be the case. but really it's been about comfort!

G

Ginger

Why sit "OR" stand, when you can do both?! We bought a wall mounted arm for our graphics monitor, so if we are going to be working on a layout for a while we can lower the monitor and have a seat, or if we are going to be back and forth between the computer and plotter/printer we can raise the monitor and stand. Some of the best money we have spent! Also nice to show clients layouts when they are over your shoulder.

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/352/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Patrick46

It's funny that this subject came up now, as I just added an extension onto my tall weeding able and relocated my old computer up there. Now it's a stand up unit, and I love it!! It's directly across from the old Anagraph plotter I run with it.

this also cleared space on the table where we have our Edge machine, in order to have room for our future sublimination machine. :rolleyes:

Locals Find!

Its funny this post came up. I just read an article that sitting for more than 4 hours at a time can wreak havoc on your heart. Apparently 80% of people who sit more the 4 hours a day are more likely to die from Heart disease than those who spend 2 hours or less.

GG's idea of getting up once an hour was actually suggested.

Stand up is probably the way to go for most of your day if you can. I know I am thinking about it now because I sit 12 hours out of my day either in front of the desk or in the truck.

WildWestDesigns

Its funny this post came up. I just read an article that sitting for more than 4 hours at a time can wreak havoc on your heart. Apparently 80% of people who sit more the 4 hours a day are more likely to die from Heart disease than those who spend 2 hours or less.

GG's idea of getting up once an hour was actually suggested.

Stand up is probably the way to go for most of your day if you can. I know I am thinking about it now because I sit 12 hours out of my day either in front of the desk or in the truck.

Now, I don't know what the thrust of the article that you read was, but I'm willing to also bet that they are assuming that those same people don't do any type of aerobics or other type of workout either.

CheapVehicleWrap

Holy Christ I'm doomed! I knew it.

Locals Find!

Now, I don't know what the thrust of the article that you read was, but I'm willing to also bet that they are assuming that those same people don't do any type of aerobics or other type of workout either.

Actually, the article said that sitting for long periods of times disrupts the way the body processes blood sugars adn blood fats, to cardio risk factors.

It said whether your a couch potato or a fitness fanatic that the risk factors don't change.