• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sketchbook Page of the Day!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
OH! And I was able to find the time to refine and vector one of those sketches.

Attachments

• sharkball.jpg
    sharkball.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 85

ucmj22

If I only had the skill of being able to visualize something in my head well enough to draw it...:banghead:

signmeup

Nice shark/football. Good stuff!

The red's a bit much for me though. How does it look with blue? (I know you're going for blood in the water...)

SignManiac

Here's some stuff I've done with ArtStudio for the iPad over the past year. Just random doodling. I have a capacitive touch stylus for it. One of the reasons I may switch from an Intuis 4 to the new Cintique 24HD... I like drawing directly on the screen better than a tablet and monitor combo.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 83

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Nice shark/football. Good stuff!

The red's a bit much for me though. How does it look with blue? (I know you're going for blood in the water...)

Oh, the blue looks good and was my first inclination ... I personally prefered it especially since I may make a few t-shirts of this one to give away ... on a blue shirt.

ucmj22

Be Proud!

So I took the fam to a pumpkin patch this weekend that badly needed a new logo. Because of this thread I decided to try and sketch the idea first which actually came out better than I thought considering I havent sketched anything in about 4 years. I didnt attempt the lettering because I know my limits, But I think this will be a good exercise to continue. I would hope to get to the point where I can make quick sketches on an idea for a client with out spending 30-45 min on the computer.

Attachments

• Bandy's.jpg
    Bandy's.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 82

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
So I took the fam to a pumpkin patch this weekend that badly needed a new logo. Because of this thread I decided to try and sketch the idea first which actually came out better than I thought considering I havent sketched anything in about 4 years. I didnt attempt the lettering because I know my limits, But I think this will be a good exercise to continue. I would hope to get to the point where I can make quick sketches on an idea for a client with out spending 30-45 min on the computer.

Not bad, one thing I would note. When sketching for a client to rough out an idea ... it's not going for perfection more as trying to translate an idea. One thing that I always stressed in my own work was that you are not drawing a (strawberry, pumpkin, horse, albino midget, clown fornicating, etc) you are drawing a representation of that item. When it comes to the sketching phase, try to loosen up and just throw down ideas. This drawing took me 2 minutes and it has all the important parts to it, movement, color, highlights and shows where the process can go. perfection can go with other more refined and later drawings, here you just try to get the idea of how you want it to move.

oh, and lots of thumbnails that are halfway developed but not really all that strong are better than one fully flushed idea that might not be the best it could be. You can pull from the many sources to make one really decent one later if you have the material to work from.

Attachments

• IMG_20111017_160927.jpg
    IMG_20111017_160927.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 78

ucmj22

Not bad, one thing I would note. When sketching for a client to rough out an idea ... it's not going for perfection more as trying to translate an idea. One thing that I always stressed in my own work was that you are not drawing a (strawberry, pumpkin, horse, albino midget, clown fornicating, etc) you are drawing a representation of that item. When it comes to the sketching phase, try to loosen up and just throw down ideas. This drawing took me 2 minutes and it has all the important parts to it, movement, color, highlights and shows where the process can go. perfection can go with other more refined and later drawings, here you just try to get the idea of how you want it to move.

Good points, Mine took about 10-12 min, maybe 15. I havent sketched anything for a client yet, the few times I started I got about 4 strokes in and reali2ed it wasnt going well (thats what she said!) and just told them I would email a few ideas. I have a really hard time visuali2ing in my head so I have to draw lightly at first, and then as it starts to materiali2e I fix it with darker lines. hopefully with practice i will get better.

I have a broken key on my keyboard, anyone figure out which one it is yet?

Mike F

Wanted to bring this back since I plan to start drawing again soon. I don't have anything recent scanned at the moment but these are from about 8 or 9 years ago. The first one, I took from a flaming skull embroidered on my wallet. Didn't trace it, but I was looking at it while I was drawing it. Second was a drawing of a bobblehead my friend has. You can find a picture of it if you google "bone daddy bobblehead".

Attachments

• skull_resized.jpg
    skull_resized.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81
  • bonedaddy_resized.jpg
    bonedaddy_resized.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 94

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Wow, I didn't think this thread was still kicking ... I'll bite.

Todays sketches are design sheets for a compact western-esque type of lettering. (3 I like and might develop further.)

Attachments

• 11-30-11.JPG
    11-30-11.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 111

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Finished my first one of the pages ... probably going to have about 5 more new typefaces before the weeks end.

Attachments

• inquisitor.jpg
    inquisitor.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 81