• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Slide-In metal frames not for Coro?

JeffInPcola

Hello folks. I've been selling coro signs to a realty agency for awhile with no complaints. I just heard from an agent that a quarter-inch-shy sign I gave her won't work in the 24x36 slide-in metal frame she bought. After that, she brought the frame in so I could see it and make a sign that fits exactly inside of it. So I did indeed make the perfect sign, lol. However, is it my imagination, or would a stiff breeze blow this single-sheet coro sign out of the frame anyway?

I know you can't see the frame I'm talking about, but this question is for the folks who have dealt with these frames before. 3/4" angle iron legs... slide-in and bolt-in capability... space for a rider also. ---- This customer won't be interested in dealing with wingnuts and bolts, but I'm thinking a couple of zip-ties are in order for even this perfectly dimensioned sign I made, although she expressed a desire to not have to use zip ties on the first sign I made. ---- I guess my question is: Are these frames definitely not meant for coro signs? If that's the professional consensus, then I can advise the customer of that and explain that for a coro sign to work in her frame, zip-ties are a MUST.

Thanks for your time!

GraphicsSource

I've used these frames and I always use zip ties lol...just get some black ones and tuck the "lock" of the zip tie under the top part of the frame so it's hardly noticeable. I usually only put them in the top but adding some to the bottom is always an option as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use the ones with half moons for all of our applicatjons. We generally use aluminum .040 in them or .050 for more rigidity. Using cor-x in a metal frame like that is dumb. You have a well made frame and then use the cheapest material on earth to put in it ?? Regardless what the customer requests, there comes a point, when you as the professional must act like a professional and tell them what is recommended and what is not.

JeffInPcola

Thanks for the help, folks. ---- That sounds like a good idea, GraphicsSource. ---- AMS, maybe your customers just never came back after their signs blew out! Just kidding.

Gino, I posted this question to find out what "is recommended and what is not". Once I saw this frame up-close and inserted a coro sign into, it seemed to me that it was more likely made specifically for a more rigid material, as the half moons are only on the bottom and both sides, and clearly not designed to hold a sign snugly in the frame. I just needed some professional feedback. I have no problem telling my customer what she needs to hear. But along with that, given that she's already paid for the sign, if a couple of zip ties will make this unholy union of expensive frame and cheap sign work and make her happy, then that's my mission.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help, folks. ---- That sounds like a good idea, GraphicsSource. ---- AMS, maybe your customers just never came back after their signs blew out! Just kidding.

Gino, I posted this question to find out what "is recommended and what is not". Once I saw this frame up-close and inserted a coro sign into, it seemed to me that it was more likely made specifically for a more rigid material, as the half moons are only on the bottom and both sides, and clearly not designed to hold a sign snugly in the frame. I just needed some professional feedback. I have no problem telling my customer what she needs to hear. But along with that, given that she's already paid for the sign, if a couple of zip ties will make this unholy union of expensive frame and cheap sign work and make her happy, then that's my mission.

Please Jeff, don't take this the wrong way, but if you make a sign a quarter inch too small for a 24" x 36" it will fall out, especially when using crap substrate to begin with. However, add that, to the fact that you are entertaining the idea of zip ties and nuts & bolts on a piece of Cor-X is just amazing. You know, ya can't really polish a turd, right ?? Therefore, I took the stance that this was dumb on your part. Providing these signs without knowing what/how they being used is kinda not too bright either. I'll betcha just about every sign that comes through our doors, I ask..... how is this being used ?? Then, I can make a sensible recommendation.

I guess everyone hasta start somewhere, but it sounded as if this was a totally new concept to you. Now, go make your customer happy. :)

JeffInPcola

Yikes, do you have some forum buddies that you’re trying to impress with this antagonism, Gino? If your years of experience have taught you that you can dictate what every customer buys—especially longtime realtors who already know what their options are—then you and I are living in entirely different worlds. And if realtors using coroplast gets your panties in a bunch, then you would experience a non-stop conniption in my town. The first time I ever heard of zip ties being used on coro realty signs (on arm posts and banjo frames) was from a realtor, and I’ve heard of it many times since then. As my question indicated, I simply didn’t have any experience with this particular type of frame, which the agent had bought independently from ordering a coroplast sign from me. The responsible thing for me to do was look into it, which I first did by reading the frame’s spec sheet (which gives no specific info on the use of coro), and then ask some pros on a forum, like I’ve done here. But if I’m still a failure in your eyes, I’ll do my best to live with that. So tear me down one more time, and we can call it a day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, no buddies to impress, they're all dead. My years are mine and I know what I did with them and where I ended up, unlike you, yet.
As for dictating what customers buy, yes to a certain extent. If you can't, then the shoe still fits ya. Realtors, construction companies and many other large businesses have used us over the decades. Some of our customers have been with us since the 70's and others since the 80's and 90's. You don't keep long term relationships like that by offering wire ties to hold a sign together. You either do it right or go home. As for Cor-X, we use a ton of it, but for it's real usefulness, not a cheap replacement to save a buck and ya don't know why.

Ya know Jeff...... you're the kinda person that makes this a fun place to be. You do things wrong, you admittedly made a sign the wrong size, you don't know what you're talking about and you still defend by saying..... wulp, I came to da pofessnals and they really mean ta me. I'm in dis busness a long time, but I donnow what I'm doin.

C'mon Jeff, get a grip. No one is wronging you. You just found out what you're doing is kinda wrong and you feel silly, now. I could care less if you're a failure or a total success.... you're still the one coming here, asking fundamental questions about something you should've learned a long time ago, if you've been in this business as long as you claim.
If this is considered tearing you down, I feel sorry for your thin a$$ed self.

:)

Johnny Best

WalMart sells them and if you read the small print on the screen shot, they suggest 4mm coroplast or for more permanent installation, metal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 3.01.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 3.01.24 PM.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 163

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WalMart sells them and if you read the small print on the screen shot, they suggest 4mm coroplast or for more permanent installation, metal.

Ahhhh, yes, but you're showing an 18" x 24". In that case, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He'd be fine. He's doing 24" x 36". Now, tell me you can use a piece of Cor-X in that.

Johnny Best

Biggest WalMart has is 18x24. 24x36 is a big real estate metal sign for an agent. Tight fit in the Nisson back seat or trunk. Maybe that is why they like the coro, light weight.
Muti million dollar listing with a coro sign with zip ties, classic.

JohnBFryJr

Coro works best in those frames if the flutes run horizontal. Its a temporary sign. If they wanted something better they could break out the pocket book.

Gino sounds like a turd sometimes but most of the time he sounds like he knows what he means. Maybe he needs meds.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Coro works best in those frames if the flutes run horizontal. Its a temporary sign. If they wanted something better they could break out the pocket book.

Gino sounds like a turd sometimes but most of the time he sounds like he knows what he means. Maybe he needs meds.

Oops, got disconnected, look below. :iamwithstupid:

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Meds, what makes you think something like that ?? Talk about people who think or say things without any knowledge...... well, I guess I can accept your assumption(s).

You too, wanna use a worthless substrate in a well made frame ?? You're the one on drugs, not me, buddy.

Why is it, no one believes in doing things coerrectly anymore, but cutting corners any chance they get ??

Whatever, it's a new mindset, I guess. Make things as dumb and cheap as you can get away with and say...... here's your sign.

JohnBFryJr

Customers want cheap. Tell them what they should do and they freak out about price. Sell them what they want. I'm in business to make money. Just sayin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk