• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So, what is it you want.......??

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Your words, not mine. Seems like someone has gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, speaking of cliches........

You bring a whole new discussion to the forum. One which no one here has asked or even obsessed about, except for you. I'm sure you don't wanna go there, as I don't. So thank you for asking, but no thanks.

Seems to me that you're doing the same thing on this thread that you're complaining about. Others provide good answers which you don't accept and you poke the dead horse again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dead horse.jpg
    dead horse.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 100

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I want ice cream.

Oh... that's not what you meant :tongue:

Fred nailed it. The board has changed over the years - some good ways... some not so good ways. But the bottom line is (I think... personal opinion to follow) that we are a sign resource for the world. Yep. The whole wide world. And as signs become an offshoot of so many other related businesses, we will see those with zero knowledge base trying to do the right thing. Gone are the apprenticeship days... of having to know how to paint... of having to be in the sign business for years before the "old-timers" would acknowledge you as a sign person. Is that a good thing? Subjectively I would say yes. Some of these new people will care about signs like we do. Some won't. That's the same for every business. But to give wrong advice or be nasty to someone because they aren't "good enough" is the wrong approach. When I started I knew zero, ziltch, nada about signs. I was lucky. I had Signs 101 to turn to and everyone was helpful. That's one of the not-so-good changes I've seen. That help is so peppered with sarcasm and demands for credentials that I would have turned away and just done things like I thought they should be. Which would have not been the best way.

So all I can say is I hope the members try to be honest with their answers... try to help the newbies figure it out... and delight in the ones that we teach to be real sign people.

Heyyyyyyy.......... glad to see ya back here. Haven't seen or heard from you in a while. :peace!:

petepaz

i just want world peace and a home for all the homeless puppies, thank you
(oooo would that be sarcastic :Big Laugh)

personally i don't let the sarcastic responses bother me. mostly because i can be the same way.
i think if someone asks a legitimate question we are supposed to be here to help each other and we should ...but....
sometimes people just ask really stupid things and that may deserve a sarcastic or stupid response (which ever you are more comfortable supplying)

Attachments

• Mallory-Hagan-miss-america-interview.jpg
    Mallory-Hagan-miss-america-interview.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 67

TimToad

I've silently watched this thread to see if it was actually anything more than the website's self-appointed thread cop projecting his own perceptions of the site's participants in the form of a biased and quite suggestively leading "poll" or if it was a sincere effort at getting a pulse of the site.

Given the last few responses to Fred by the OP and especially responses #13 and 18, I'd have to say my conclusion is that it is the former not the latter.

Because of the tenuous and usually contentious nature of the relationship between the OP and myself, I've avoided weighing in directly to him on most topics he participates in for some time now, but because he's asking for people's opinions, I feel entitled to offer mine. I'm already girding for the expectant attack either here in public or via PM as he has done on more than on one occasion. I would warn anyone here who advocates for freedom of speech to be very fearful of a person who wants to intimidate others who might even just click the "dislike post" button

The mere premise that a site with thousands of members all over the world ranging from the quietly observing to the multitudes of posts per day contributors would all fit into a neatly, predictable sum total of opinion is ridiculous on its face.

The next statement is partially in caps for emphasis because it answers most of the "poll" questions in one shot and lays out my motivations for coming here regularly.

I SPECIFICALLY come here for the DIVERSITY of OPINIONS, the sometimes BRUTAL HONESTY, VARYING SKILL LEVELS of participants, unique POSTING STYLES, light, dark and sometimes crude HUMOR, OFFBEAT personalities, the FREEDOM within certain limits to speak openly and occasionally off topic if the thread's energy goes that direction, the PROMPT and mostly ON TOPIC and HIGHLY USEFUL answers to questions, etc. Above all, I enjoy the camaraderie and mutual respect most of us share with each other and enjoy offering any kernel of real life knowledge, experiences and conversational chat to the mix. This is after all a "chat" room.

What I DON'T come here for is to feel forced into adhering to only one domineering particpant's vision of what a site he didn't build or pay for. I think when things get so confining and forced through such a narrow funnel, they tend to go stale and people lose interest.

Despite most respondents taking the time to answer the questions sincerely, I got the impression after #13 and 18 that the OP wasn't all that happy that folks actually just answered and didn't roil the pot to help him confirm what is pretty obviously an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

skyhigh

I SPECIFICALLY come here for the DIVERSITY of OPINIONS, the sometimes BRUTAL HONESTY, VARYING SKILL LEVELS of participants, unique POSTING STYLES, light, dark and sometimes crude HUMOR, OFFBEAT personalities, the FREEDOM within certain limits to speak openly and occasionally off topic if the thread's energy goes that direction, the PROMPT and mostly ON TOPIC and HIGHLY USEFUL answers to questions, etc. Above all, I enjoy the camaraderie and mutual respect most of us share with each other and enjoy offering any kernel of real life knowledge, experiences and conversational chat to the mix. This is after all a "chat" room.

Well holy crap. If I wasn't confused enough with all the political rhetoric.......... along comes a possible "write-in" candidate. :ROFLMAO:

ps. I want a pony.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've silently watched this thread to see if it was actually anything more than the website's self-appointed thread cop projecting his own perceptions of the site's participants in the form of a biased and quite suggestively leading "poll" or if it was a sincere effort at getting a pulse of the site.

Given the last few responses to Fred by the OP and especially responses #13 and 18, I'd have to say my conclusion is that it is the former not the latter.

Because of the tenuous and usually contentious nature of the relationship between the OP and myself, I've avoided weighing in directly to him on most topics he participates in for some time now, but because he's asking for people's opinions, I feel entitled to offer mine. I'm already girding for the expectant attack either here in public or via PM as he has done on more than on one occasion. I would warn anyone here who advocates for freedom of speech to be very fearful of a person who wants to intimidate others who might even just click the "dislike post" button

The mere premise that a site with thousands of members all over the world ranging from the quietly observing to the multitudes of posts per day contributors would all fit into a neatly, predictable sum total of opinion is ridiculous on its face.

The next statement is partially in caps for emphasis because it answers most of the "poll" questions in one shot and lays out my motivations for coming here regularly.

What I DON'T come here for is to feel forced into adhering to only one domineering particpant's vision of what a site he didn't build or pay for. I think when things get so confining and forced through such a narrow funnel, they tend to go stale and people lose interest.

Despite most respondents taking the time to answer the questions sincerely, I got the impression after #13 and 18 that the OP wasn't all that happy that folks actually just answered and didn't roil the pot to help him confirm what is pretty obviously an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy

Ah, so you want some ice cream, too.... is what you're saying ?? :clapping:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It gets kind of dull in here when everyone plays nice and follows all the rules.

peace.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It gets kind of dull in here when everyone plays nice and follows all the rules.

attachment.php

wayne k
guam usa

Why is it all white ??
Why a square and not an oval or triangle ??
Why only mention those few things, what about other topics ??
Why did you let out animals ??
Why is there no mention of size ??
What's on the reverse side or is that transparent and we can see right through it ??
Why is this on a sign forum ??

I think your kerning is off a tad.................... :rolleyes:

Andy D

I hate non-sign people be allowed to ask us questions on a site for sign people. hobby people have hobby sites and you won't see me on one of their sites picking their brains as to how to build a bend over lady lawn decoration

This is the one part I don't get... I go to other sites, such as: Electrical, Appliance repair, Wood working, etc. and
ask my noob questions, and for the most part, these guys, that have spent years learning their trade, are cool and helpful.
I just don't understand the resentment some people here seem to have against people just breaking into the trade or doing
it on the side or for fun.. Signs and graphics are f-ing awesome, I'm so glad I chose this trade, and I like passing on knowledge
if I can.

For many people, what starts as their hobby ends up being their career. In this age of information, why would we want
to horde our knowledge?

petepaz

regardless of any sarcastic responses, stupid questions (some of which i may be responsible for) over all this site has been extremely helpful over the years and hopefully it is around for many more

Marlene

This is the one part I don't get... I go to other sites, such as: Electrical, Appliance repair, Wood working, etc. and
ask my noob questions, and for the most part, these guys, that have spent years learning their trade, are cool and helpful.
I just don't understand the resentment some people here seem to have against people just breaking into the trade or doing
it on the side or for fun.. Signs and graphics are f-ing awesome, I'm so glad I chose this trade, and I like passing on knowledge
if I can.

For many people, what starts as their hobby ends up being their career. In this age of information, why would we want
to horde our knowledge?

so you would go to an appliance repair site, ask the pros for free advice? the hobby people have hobby sites to talk about their hobby and what they make with their Circut. if I was into a hobby, it is were I'd go and I sure wouldn't come here. then there are the actual customers that come here after they buy a vinyl cutter off ebay because they think their sign guy charges too much and they want us to tell them how to make their own signs. to me this is free advice for new people just starting out and for us in the biz for a long time to ask questions and opinions. right now I have a customer wanting to reface an old hinged face sign not only with new faces but new faces with three tenant panels and oh the top corners are radius. if not for the snarky nasty people here, I'd love to shoot ideas I have to do this with others in the business but won't as there is no point. so it isn't just the newbies or hobby people who get turned off to the attitude of the site

klmiller611

Why is it all white ??
Why a square and not an oval or triangle ??
Why only mention those few things, what about other topics ??
Why did you let out animals ??
Why is there no mention of size ??
What's on the reverse side or is that transparent and we can see right through it ??
Why is this on a sign forum ??
I think your kerning is off a tad.................... :rolleyes:

I don't like the font either. :)

truckgraphics

Advice, not Advise

Start by saying, I didn't set this up as a poll, but maybe I should've :​

In the last few years or so, many members post up work for critique, requests for information on obtaining equipment or supplies and many how do you do this or that threads.

• How does anyone feel about answering honestly ??
  • How does anyone feel sugarcoating answers ??
  • How does anyone feel being sarcastic ??
  • How does anyone feel about staying on topic ??
  • How does anyone feel giving wrong advise, purposely ??
  • How does anyone feel being objective ??
  • How does anyone feel saying anything that flies into their head with no regards for factual content ??
    [*]How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??

There are more scenarios, but this should suffice to get started. Seeing the same conversations take place day after day with only a word here or there changed, the storylines remain rather the same.

Just curious.
:thankyou:

I want to give advice. That is, I want to advise others on the best way to make signs.

We are sign men and women. At the end of the day, we only have a limited space and a few words to get our points across. It behooves us to spell properly. Otherwise, how can we expect prospective sign pros to learn of our perspective on the business and to accept our advice?

TimToad

This morning's PM from the OP.

"Are ya feeling any better today ??

Really, you don't hafta to go out of your way to avoid me. Either just hit the ignore button or use some restraint.

Always................ Gino"

This is exactly what I was talking about. His automatic presumption is that by voicing my opinion about the subject the way I did, I wasn't feeling well, or that only someone not feeling well would have a contrary opinion to his. With over 26,500 posts and an imprint on nearly every thread that is on the board, hitting the ignore button would pull so many posts from so many subjects, it would be hard to follow the context and I'd be missing out on the mountains of useful and helpful posts that this does poster contribute. I suppose if he was to warn us all that he's going to go off on me or someone else in advance, I could use the ignore button selectively.

The suggestion that I should self-censor what I read and write so as to not find disagreement with another poster seems very wrong to me. If this poster feels its ok to suggest that others "use some restraint" so he doesn't have to read any contrary or critical comments of his positions or opinions, then that standard should apply to himself as well. Especially in the area of personal attacks, which he doesn't seem to show much restraint at all.