• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solaris Inks Blown Head, Roland ECO SOL max

RocketBanner

I just switched over to Solaris Inks for my Roland SC 545 EX with EcoSol max inks, I immediately blew a black head. I have been using manufacturer inks for the last 2 years with no problems after switching back following an even worse experience with 20/20 inks inks from Grimco.

I have ordered a new head for my printer from China and will be installing it on Friday. I have got a ton of these inks now and it would be very costly to switch back to OEM...Does anyone have good or bad experience they can share regarding the Solaris ECO SOL inks.

Thanks.

Beyond 1

I've used the solaris ink for 2 years now and had no problem with the ink.... The chips are another story. But I did heard they are using a new ink supplier now and I have seen color shifts.

Dakotagrafx

my fj-540 used the solaris inks the entire time I had it and other than more likely to clog if not used regularly they worked great. At least until August when I go full time I am sticking to Oem just for the no clog issue

Jack Knight1979

I've used Solaris for many years with no problems at all. I have used other inks that blew heads on my Roland, but never with Solaris.

I have had heads go while using solaris, but not due to the ink. Just their time.

Did you get a drop of ink on the pc board of the head? There's no way the ink blew your head. Were you working on the heads before it went?

I've replaced a lot of printheads on my Roland. From head strikes to MLD Triangle burning up my heads. Never once has solaris done me wrong.

Keep using it. You're fine.

ProColorGraphics

I lost a cyan head when using Solaris. The tech that replaced it said based on it's shot count, it was at about 1/4 of the expected life. That was the only thing that I could think of that caused it.

RocketBanner

Did you get a drop of ink on the pc board of the head? There's no way the ink blew your head. Were you working on the heads before it went?

No drop of ink on head board. It happened almost immediately after the changeover to the Black Solaris inks. The black head was about 2 years old, still lots of time left on the shot count however it had been overspraying for sometime, although my morning test prints were always 100%. Maybe the switchover shocked it and it died a premature death...don't know but I have always had bad luck with black ink, whether using OEM or third party. Overspray and ink starvation have always plagued my Roland Black. But, to see it blow immediately after changeover, and I mean withing an hour, is suspicious. Anyone know a chinese vendor for parts? I can't get a hold of Good Ole John Meng over there? Must have folded his tent.

Jack Knight1979

sounds like your head was on its way out. Usually when an ink kills a head it happens over time. The head clogs and continues to fire. The head then overheats and dies. A head wouldn't burn out instantly from a different ink.

It's prolonged starvation that will kill ahead via the ink route.

There's lots of way to kill a head, but a two year old black head with ghosting, was on it's way out already. Solaris didn't do it.

RocketBanner

Thanks. I just pulled a service report. The black head had 3.5 billion shots before it blew, is that a lot? My Yellow and Magenta are currently at 7.5 billion, the magenta is starting to overspray.

CS-SignSupply-TT

It sounds to me like you are very well versed with the printer, as well as GOOD and BAD inks. Please keep us aware of your journey with the Chinese printhead, as well as the Solaris inks.

dmcprint

Typical lifespan of an Epson DX4 print head (which is in your Roland SC) is 4-6 billion shots. I've seen some die with more and less shots. It depends on how hard you run your printer and routine maintenance.