• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solvent Printer Sugestions Please...

Lau Designs

Hi All,
I am looking into buying an affordable entry level solvent printer if such thing exists. I am just starting out and finding that adding a solvent printer to my arsenal of equipment would be a great addition. Right now I out source all my printing and I am looking to bring some of it house. I say some because my budget will only allow for a small printer.
Currently I have a roland gx-24 cutter that I am using the print cut feature on. I love it! I am looking for a printer that can print the 24" width that has decent print quality. Speed isn't a factor right now. I just need somthing to get me on my feet.

Please let me know if there is anything out there that may work.

Thanks!!

FatCat

I don't know of any print-only solvent or eco-solvent machines that small. Closest thing I can think of would be be the print & cut 30" machines from either Roland or Mimaki. With that said, those machines sell for well over $10-12,000 new. You might find used ones in the $6-$7k range that are in good shape. I think Mutoh made some older units that were 36".

Do your homework and run some numbers first. Take what you spent on outsourcing your printing in 2009 and the profit you made vs. what it would cost for payments on the machine, -PLUS- all the consumables like ink and vinyl, banner material, etc. plus throw in some money for repair/maintenance of said machine and the electricity it will use, the man-hours you will spend operating it and the extra insurance it will cost you. If you're a small operation you might find you make more money out-sourcing than doing it in-house.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The thermal machines are close to that size, but I don't know how available anymore. You might want to check on the Gerber edges systems.

As for true or light solvent.... the smallest one I know of is 30". Check around here at 101, there's always someone looking to upgrade and sell their 30" for a good price.

gnatt66

find a used Roland sp-300 and get your feet wet...will probably spend 5-6k on the printer and get a big squeegee and a roll of laminate and you are good to go :)

i have a vp-300i and love it...sure i wish i had a 54" printer, but i can cover all my expenses VERY easily and that was more important to me. i just sub out the larger print jobs.

TheSnowman

Had I known about the world of "subbing" before I bought mine, I wouldn't have done it. I'm a smaller shop...I keep the printer pretty busy w/ short term signage things that people need in a hurry, but I think a lot of it I could still sub. I'd go for a smaller one if you are looking for your first one, and see how that goes, then deal w/ a larger one if that time comes.