• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some color theory plz

Stormyj

Just another guy
So im creating some wall text for a mattress store with walls that are a dark olive green. Im trying to figure out what color would work best in this situation, and up came the question about color theory. Should it be a contrasting color, a complimenting color, is that the same thing, and so on. Anyone want to school me on this? looking at a color wheel doesnt help much because Im not sure what Im suppose to be looking at.

peavey123

If you google color theory you'l get some good explanations. There are complementary colours and analogous colours. Complimentary colours are the colours directly opposite on the colour wheel. Analogous colours are the neighbouring colours.

It's hard for us to say what colour you should choose. We don't know how it's being used. That being said, if you have text or something that needs to be seen make sure you have enough contrast.

John Butto

here we go again

Last week you ask about black vs black now it is color theory.
What looks good to you on a dark green wall? If you went with a complimentary color it would red, opposite on the color wheel.
Because a true green is not seen unless there is a true red. But for a mattress company you have to ask if they want to draw attention to a sale or make you feel sleepy. Then sale in bold letters with a white outline and an explanation mark, if to make you sleepy maybe lavender lilies. You are going to have to make the decision on your own, make some roughs and see how they look to you and if your customer likes it. People spend their whole lives on color theory. Some people like certain colors while others may not, your mattress company client seems to like green.

the graphics co

what kind of mattress store? high end or bargain basement? different color combos elicit different emotional and psychological responses.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Last week you ask about black vs black now it is color theory.
What looks good to you on a dark green wall? If you went with a complimentary color it would red, opposite on the color wheel.
Because a true green is not seen unless there is a true red. But for a mattress company you have to ask if they want to draw attention to a sale or make you feel sleepy. Then sale in bold letters with a white outline and an explanation mark, if to make you sleepy maybe lavender lilies. You are going to have to make the decision on your own, make some roughs and see how they look to you and if your customer likes it. People spend their whole lives on color theory. Some people like certain colors while others may not, your mattress company client seems to like green.

Ok, I think you missed my point. Doesn't matter about the mattress company or the color he is using, whether he is bargain basement or state of the art space mattresses. I was merely using him as an example. My question is how does someone come up with colors that compliment each other yet have enough contrast to be clear and easily read. Yes, I can stick this color on that one, add borders, do whatever. Just wanted to know if there is a theory or "Law of Color" which states where to start. Sorry if I confused you. :banghead:

:smile:

John Butto

Where he started.

Ok, I think you missed my point. Doesn't matter about the mattress company or the color he is using, whether he is bargain basement or state of the art space mattresses. I was merely using him as an example. My question is how does someone come up with colors that compliment each other yet have enough contrast to be clear and easily read. Yes, I can stick this color on that one, add borders, do whatever. Just wanted to know if there is a theory or "Law of Color" which states where to start. Sorry if I confused you. :banghead:

And you are right, I am still confused but I got this from a good source on where to start: “Then God said, ‘Let there be light’; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called night. So the evening and the morning were the first day."

Joe Diaz

Complimentary colors can be intense when used together, and not always intense in a good way. Sometimes it makes for a great layout. I've always liked using split complimentary colors though. Red and a bluish teal for example. But complementary and contrast are two different animals. When dealing with Contrast, you are really talking about the value of the color or the lightness or darkness of that color. So if you want something to stand out, you want a really light color on a really dark color, or a really dark color on a really light color. When dealing with color, a good rule of thumb is to not let similar values of complimentary colors touch. It creates a visual vibration. You'll know it when you see it. It literally looks like it's vibrating. Take a light red and place it on a light (similar value) green. It will vibrate. It does the same with similar values of blue and orange, and yellow and violet. However a dark navy and bright orange work great together (Chicago Bears). Dark green and bright red are also great when used together. Bright yellow and a deep violet look nice. I personaly tend to make the cooler colors darker and the warmer colors bright, but there is no rule that you have to do it that way and sometimes I don't. But don't forget your neutrals. It's always helpful to throw in a neutral when you have two strong colors working together.

If your walls are dark olive green and you are only adding one color lettering, I might go with a warmer more neutral color, An antique white, light tan, something like that.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I guess what I was asking was, is there a quick way to determine which color you can start with. Yes, I know I can put colors up there and see what looks best. But, I couldnt help but wonder if there was a way to pop up a color wheel, and say, "ok, green for the wall, on the opposite side is blue" start with that. THAT IS AN EXAMPLE. Just wanted to clarify that before someone said, blue isnt across...... So, i guess you can see my point, I dont want to go to night school, gather books from the library, study page after page of google searches, and get my degree in color. I want the fast answer. And, if there isnt one, then I still learned something. After all, everyone had that one job that they did forever that one way, and that one guy said, jeez, why dont you just do it like this? Duh. Oh yea!!

:awesome:

John Butto

To add to the color thing.

Go with your wife or girlfriend or whoever and watch them go through the racks upon racks of dresses or blouses and then tell them about your color theory.

the graphics co

I think the confusion on one end is, you are asking about colors that "compliment" each other while talking about color theory. There is an actual definition to complimentary colors, which you have received from a few posts above. There is the schooling you requested in your original post.

The way you are stating "complimentary" it is referring to a color that would go well, or match appropriately with your green example, no? Which is the reason the answers seem insufficient to what you are looking for.

Whether it is bargain basement or high end does matter. Your laws or color theory that you are searching for are all psychological responses people have to the combinations of colors. So if it is a bargain basement store you might put a bright yellow on top of the olive green. However in a high end store you might go tone on tone with a lighter shade of that same olive green because it would illicit a different response from the consumer.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...However in a high end store you might go tone on tone with a lighter shade of that same olive green because it would illicit a different response from the consumer.

Twaddle. The only response being elicited, whether bargain basement, high end store or anything in between, most likely is 'Buy Something'.

peavey123

I guess what I was asking was, is there a quick way to determine which color you can start with. Yes, I know I can put colors up there and see what looks best. But, I couldnt help but wonder if there was a way to pop up a color wheel, and say, "ok, green for the wall, on the opposite side is blue" start with that. THAT IS AN EXAMPLE. Just wanted to clarify that before someone said, blue isnt across...... So, i guess you can see my point, I dont want to go to night school, gather books from the library, study page after page of google searches, and get my degree in color. I want the fast answer. And, if there isnt one, then I still learned something. After all, everyone had that one job that they did forever that one way, and that one guy said, jeez, why dont you just do it like this? Duh. Oh yea!!

There is no EASY answer. If you're doing artwork that people are paying money for look into theory man! c'mon. Google is your friend. I bet if you googled 'colour theory' you'd find a metric-s***-ton of articles...ahem...I mean videos that will gently walk you through colour theory.

If you don't want to put in the time learning about it, then you're in for a good ribbing here. Most here put in the time reading and researching before they post a thread about a topic so vastly covered on the internet.

Here's a start on what to search. Basically what you want to learn are the different color schemes and how to use the color wheel using those schemes. ie. Monocromatic, analogus, complimentary, warm, cool, neutral etc....

SignManiac

Color theory vs. artistic interpretation, worlds apart. As an artist you choose colors for many reasons to convey feeling, movement, emotion, etc. yadda, yadda, yadda. Make it legible, make it pretty. Use the right color for the job. Color is my thang.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Color theory vs. artistic interpretation, worlds apart. As an artist you choose colors for many reasons to convey feeling, movement, emotion, etc. yadda, yadda, yadda. Make it legible, make it pretty. Use the right color for the job. Color is my thang.

I never though about that. I guess there is a place for any and all colors, depending on the situation. ill take that with me.

CES020

Stormy, do you use Illustrator? If so, check out the Kuler feature. People take a lot of time building colors that work together and it's all at your fingertips with Kuler. Here's the website as well, in case you aren't using Illy....

https://kuler.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

Click on the "explore" section and you'll see pre made color combinations.