• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 - Printing on Reflective Issues

siklidkid

We are having trouble with the ink laying down evenly on reflective, it seems to be pooling or maybe "fish-eyeing" in random areas. I understand this media isn't made for printing but we have had success printing on reflective in the past, it's strange that it just started happening. The vinyl is always cleaned with rubbing alcohol before we print so it's clean.

sorry no pics, any thoughts?

Custom_Grafx

We are having trouble with the ink laying down evenly on reflective, it seems to be pooling or maybe "fish-eyeing" in random areas. I understand this media isn't made for printing but we have had success printing on reflective in the past, it's strange that it just started happening. The vinyl is always cleaned with rubbing alcohol before we print so it's clean.

sorry no pics, any thoughts?

Yes. Use either printable reflective or print on clear and lam the reflective with it.

siklidkid

I said,
I understand this media isn't made for printing but we have had success printing on reflective in the past...
Sign Works said,
Here's a shot in the dark, why not try the proper media?

NSS! :)
We used the same media for the same job not to long ago and it printed fine... I'm curious as to why it's not printing like it did.

Roland

Try different heater and dryer adjustments! Maybe it's not the right temperature.
Also, the print-head speed must be lower then usual if it's a pretentious material.
Combine those two and you should get some good results.
Just a thought...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based upon your first and then again.... second post about it clearly not being the correct material, why on earth would you want to waste your time, let alone anyone else's time trying to figure out why something worked once for you and not again, when YOU already know the reason..... it's the wrong material.​

If you want to insist on using faulty material and figure this riddle out.... go ahead, but don't make fun of someone pointing out the most obvious. :thankyou:

get a sample of known printable material(your supplier will point you in the right direction), then try it, see how it prints. if it prints good, get in a roll and then you'll no problems with ink etc.

siklidkid

Williams Signs, We called our supplier and the media is in fact Nikalite, which is apparently a printable media...

Roland, Thank you for actually addressing my question. Our heater settings were low. I raised the print heater to 45*C (max), it seems to have helped the pooling a little but its still has a "leoparding" look to it. We tried about 7 different setting configs in VW, the best being:
PRV2 - Premium Reflective Vinyl
High-Quality
Uni-Directional
Sign/Display
Print Heater: 45*C
Dryer: 45*C

What settings do you guys use?

Gino, Not making fun, purely in jest, hence the smiley... His response "Here's a shot in the dark, why not try the proper media?" had a hint of snark, and I replied accordingly.