• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp300i printhead replacement

timstudio

My heads are failing me and I need to replace them. I normally had this done by a technician, but captop / damper replacement etc I've done before myself. Getting the heads replaced by a technician had gotten real expensive, so I took the change and ordered two heads (ribbons/captops/wipers/dampers/pump etc) from digiprint supplies to try and do it myself. I recently overcame my fear of doing things myself when buying an oldtimer and learning how to clean carburateurs/setting valve clearances and ingition. I guess if I can do that, than I can do this.

So within a week or so I will have all the original parts delivered. I've seen lots of video's, but specific for the SP300i/SP540i. I do know how to get into service mode.

I have two questions:

1. does anybody have and want to share a service manual?
2. can both heads be replaced at once, or do I 1 head first, get it all up and running and than do it all over for the second head?

Thanks for anyone willing to give my advice or answers to my questions.

Novadon

LEF2-200
Searched here and found this!

timstudio

Thanks,

I do know how to get in service mode. The service manual for the sp300 I have also. I'm searching for the service manual for the sp300i (if it is different?)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician

timstudio

Digiprint supplied a guide on how to, so that seems to solve question 1.

Any thought on question 2?
2. can both heads be replaced at once, or do I 1 head first, get it all up and running and than do it all over for the second head?

Novadon

LEF2-200
I understand that you want to replace both heads, but why do you question doing one at a time? I think you "heard" something, somewhere and are just hesitant maybe? Your thoughts?

timstudio

Thanks Jim, I had found that link and if I couldn't get the manual before the heads arrived I would have bought it online. But I guessed since it is a legacy machine the service manual would be available for download and I could spend the 15 euro on flowers for the wife.

Novadon, I read somewhere that the manual for the SP300 and the SP300i were different for some parts. I didn't wan't to run into the situation that halfway the changing I got stuck because the instructions were not clear.

Also I'm not hesitant and I have heard nothing. It is the first time I will be doing this myself and honestly do not know if it is better to do both at the same time, or if that screws thing up because they should be done seperate. My #1 printhead has had its number of strikes and though it prints good on large print, small labels (which I print a lot) are reaching the point of me finding them 'not acceptible.' The #2 printhead has actually never been changed! It is like 12 years old now and yesterday my Magenta turned orange. So I cleaned everything, got it up and running and ordered new captops/ dampers etc. This morning I had to do some printing to get magenta magenta (it was orange again.) So I decided it is best to give the good old beast a complete overhaul with all brand new shiny parts. I'm replacing both heads, captops, dampers, wipers and the pump (because it's cheap and starts making some noises.)

So to be clear....I'm just asking for advice to be as much informed as possible. I do not try to be stubborn or something like that. I just want to eliminate the chance on failure from 'me not knowing' as much as possible. The 'me not knowing' and 'oh, I just do it and see where it ends' has gotten me in enough trouble in my younger years. I learned to first ask questions and value the answers of experienced people before trying to answer them myself.

damonCA21

Yes it is fine to do both heads at once. The left hand head is actually locked in place when you fit it, and you align the other head to this when you do the alignment and calibration.

The most important thing is before doing anything, unplug the printer from the wall and leave at least 15 minutes for any charge in capacitors to drain. Not doing this can lead to blown fuses or damage to the boards.

Do the dampers first as that way you won't be dropping any ink onto the new heads. Once fitted, wrap a lot of kitchen towel around them, and tuck them out of the way away from the head carriage. When you are ready to fit them to the new heads, cover the front part of the heads with towel as well to stop any drips getting onto the circuit board part.

Also after removing the old heads, you may find the metal slides that adjust the position of the heads is gummed up with old ink. Remove these and give them a good clean to make sure you can move them freely

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Do the dampers first as that way you won't be dropping any ink onto the new heads. Once fitted, wrap a lot of kitchen towel around them, and tuck them out of the way away from the head carriage.
My preferred approach is a zip lock bag, rather than paper towels. And put a touch of cleaning solution on the bottom O-ring on the damper just before installing - makes for an easier install.

damonCA21

My preferred approach is a zip lock bag, rather than paper towels. And put a touch of cleaning solution on the bottom O-ring on the damper just before installing - makes for an easier install.
That works too. I normally use the paper towel as I always have a roll of it to hand when working on a printer. I prefer them as they soak up any ink, so no chance of drips

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Be sure to replace the captops with Roland OEM parts. As far as dampers go, I've had an excellent experience with the dampers I get from Solventinkjet.

timstudio

Ok, it took a while but since printing was still acceptable I waited till the store was offline for a couple days to do my first printhead installation. It went perfect. I also renewed all things around the heads, and the pump. My second head (10 years old!) actually was in perfect working condition so I decided for now not to replace that one.

Which leafs me with 2 questions:
1: how long can a dx4 head be stored inside its packaging and in a sealed box? I think I better keep it as a spare for once my black goes bad again (normally within 2 years.)
2: the last couple of months I went from 'i'm not touching anything, I pay to have things done' to ' look at me, i can fix things.' It started with an oldtimer (58 year old Fiat) and once that worked without explosions I decided to fix the Roland myself. Again, without explosions. Now my wife thinks I can fix things and wants me to renew the garden (tiling, etc etc.) How do I convince here back to ' i'm not touching anything?'

damonCA21

1. Nobody knows really. The transport fluid they use is water based, so it will evaporate at some point. Really you want to install them as quickly as possible, but then you dont know how long the seller has had it on their shelf. However ! If you buy one and don't fit it for 6 months or a year and it doesnt work, then you have no comeback with the seller after that length of time

Bobas Kalobas

Ok, it took a while but since printing was still acceptable I waited till the store was offline for a couple days to do my first printhead installation. It went perfect. I also renewed all things around the heads, and the pump. My second head (10 years old!) actually was in perfect working condition so I decided for now not to replace that one.

Which leafs me with 2 questions:
1: how long can a dx4 head be stored inside its packaging and in a sealed box? I think I better keep it as a spare for once my black goes bad again (normally within 2 years.)
2: the last couple of months I went from 'i'm not touching anything, I pay to have things done' to ' look at me, i can fix things.' It started with an oldtimer (58 year old Fiat) and once that worked without explosions I decided to fix the Roland myself. Again, without explosions. Now my wife thinks I can fix things and wants me to renew the garden (tiling, etc etc.) How do I convince here back to ' i'm not touching anything?'
Tim, I need to change my MG YE print head and want to do it myself. Is there anything I should know about the software settings afterwards? I can replace the physical head myself, and watched the techs do it several times, but after the phiysical install then Im a gonner.

damonCA21

Tim, I need to change my MG YE print head and want to do it myself. Is there anything I should know about the software settings afterwards? I can replace the physical head myself, and watched the techs do it several times, but after the phiysical install then Im a gonner.
Get a copy of the service manual. Once you have replaced the head you need to manually calibrate it, then electronically calibrate it. Unless you get the head calibrated properly then you won't get a good print from it