• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spin King...sign spinners

jiarby

cities here are trying to reign them in a bit. It started because of city sign laws. You couldn't put a sign up on the intersection but (because of freedom of speech) a guy can stand there holding a sign. After that spinning them is to attract attention.

How are you supposed to know which way the arrow goes if it is spinning everywhere!?

Out here they pitch an EZ-Up tent, bring a cooler, a lawn chair, and the sign is on a stick...all the kid does is hold on to the stick while he sits there reading, listening to MP3's all afternoon. A local car wash in my neighborhood has two employees holding a 3x6 banner all day. Just standing there holding the corner of a banner. ALL.DAY.LONG.

omgsideburns

Saw a bunch of it in Jacksonville over the weekend. I always get a kick when they make it entertaining, instead of just sticking some kid (or maybe a bum) out on the curb with a sign.

cgsigns_jamie

Oh yeah... they're all over Jacksonville and Orange Park.. One of the guys near the St. Johns Town Center even made it on the local news because of his "skills".

Everyone I talk to say it's very effective and well worth the cost.

MachServTech

Out here they pitch an EZ-Up tent, bring a cooler, a lawn chair, and the sign is on a stick...all the kid does is hold on to the stick while he sits there reading, listening to MP3's all afternoon. A local car wash in my neighborhood has two employees holding a 3x6 banner all day. Just standing there holding the corner of a banner. ALL.DAY.LONG.

You have a point. If the guy or gal is performing that one thing but this person is representing your business....a slacker in a lawn chair doesn't project a great image.

wannabe

My sign shop provides spinners here in Shreveport, LA. Mine are usually teens 16 and up. I also provide a supervisor and the kids are encouraged to use their mp3 players. They are provided with a rounded end rectangular sign with the business' logo and ad campaign. I also provide the spinner a printed tee, hat, and hand towel all matching the business' logo. They are required to smile, wave, dance, and beckon traffic to pull into the business. They work 1 hour and break for 15 mins. They are not allowed to do anything vulgar even if taunted. During key times of the day (3hrs) when my spinners were on duty my last customer claimed a 300% increase in traffic through the door which resulted in increased sales. They were very pleased and recommended us to many other businesses.

Jon Aston

I've only ever seen them on YouTube. I think it's pretty cool, and bound to be effective while it's still "novel". Wannabe, I'm impressed.

sjm

Reminds me of the fad known as squeegee kids. Though I think, if it generates business it's a win win for all.

ProWraps

ive always wondered who pays for the kid when he gets hit by a car or shot (hell i live in sacramento where these things happen).

how does your insurance cover this or does your insurance even know?

wannabe

Yeah I had a problem with that as well. They advertised the store closing at that location because they moved into a building just a few hundred feet away.

As for insurance, they sign a no fault waiver and an agreement they will not participate in a list of certain ''dangerous" behavior on duty. If they're under age their parents sign it.

Last edited:
i knew a sign shop owner that was doing this about 5 yrs ago that was making pretty good money...his customers would pay him to make the sign, then they would pay him $100 an hour (only during rush hour) and then he made tips from ppl who were entertained..not to mention many business owners saw him out there doing his 'thing' and hired him to do the same outside their businesses...now he was one of those guys that 'has it' you've seen the ones that are really into it..and then there are those that are just there.

i know many others that offer the service but no one that has done it like he has..he simply enjoys it and gets out there flaunting it with no shame...me i'm a shy guy but it is fun to see someone who really enjoys what they are doing.

wannabe

When I advertise that I'm hiring spinners I refer to them as "street performers" because that pretty much weeds out the inhibited ones.

ProWraps

As for insurance, they sign a no fault waiver and an agreement they will not participate in a list of certain ''dangerous" behavior on duty. If they're under age their parents sign it.

you are a california attorneys dream come true. not knocking your biz by any means, but waivers out here, are a joke. any attorney will tell you they arent worth the paper they are written on.

gotta love california.

wannabe

In Louisiana we still practice Napoleanic Law, oh and I moved here from Texas where we still hang horse thieves. MAN! I do love the south!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

As for insurance, they sign a no fault waiver and...

You cannot waive your right to pursue for negligence. No where, no how, not even the, shudder, south. A waiver isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Clear Choice

wannabe,

What size do you make your spinners?
Are they imprinted on one side or two?

Would 10 mil Coroplast be okay for a one day
benefit Rummage Sale Event?

TIA

Pat Whatley

Talked to a kid yesterday who had a "STOP FOR BUY 1 GET 1 FREE COUPONS" sign on the corner who was dancing his ass off with the sign. He said he got paid 75¢ for each coupon he gave out that got used....he said he was making VERY good money with it and nobody else that worked there would do it because they were embarrassed.