• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sportin' Some Serious Wood?

Jillbeans

Will someone teach me how ?
Here is a rough of a logo I am working on.
The client goes to craft shows and sells rocking horses, wooden toys, planters and such. But he also makes furniture and custom cabinetry.
(Not fine furniture, more rustic like adirondack chairs)
He expressed interest in having a wooden quilt square in his logo.
I thought that sounded promising.
I drew the square from shapes but cannot figure out the right way to incorporate a "wooden" fill. This jpg is way too orange toned, but I wanted to give you an idea of what I was trying to do.
I am on Corel 12, and I want to make a wood grain texture fill without it looking tiled. I am attaching a pic that he sent me.
The fonts used will probably be changed. I want to get the Arts and Craft pack from P22.
http://www.p22.com/products/artcraftpack.html
Their existing card features Algerian!
Worst case, I will use it.
They also want their card to have a woodgrain background.
I am only doing the logo, as the guy has a buddy who does cut vynull.
For that, I think just the outline of the square would be OK.
Thanks in advance.
Love.....Jill

Attachments

• WQ1[1].jpg
    WQ1[1].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 174
  • cepris.jpg
    cepris.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 109

ChiknNutz

Are you wanting to add a nice woodgrain fill? Is that primarily what you want to know about? If so, I'm sure Fred has some, and the AlienSkin plug-ins also do a nice job.

Seraphime

just a hint

About the cards...I worked with a Speedy Trotec laser, an one great effect was to actually engrave the cards. Especially if you use a thick card, pale yellow or slightly brown.
It worth trying it, if only to see the impact.

luggnut

i do the wood texture look alot but i use photoshop. you can change the tints and colors of the grain and such. do you use photoshop at all? i might be able to help if you do?

Attachments

• newsite sign 2 copy.jpg
    newsite sign 2 copy.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 141
  • SIGN DEPOT internet.jpg
    SIGN DEPOT internet.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 141

Jillbeans

I don't have Photoshop.
Here is what I came up with by trial and error...
before I deleted the file!
:Oops:
Would this be OK?
I don't like how that odd knot repeats itself, so I will try to fix that when I re-create this.
I didn't use anything anyone suggested because I couldn't understand the directions, I think I just somehow added a full-color thing from the fill menu using wood grains I Googled.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• block2.jpg
    block2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 123

GB2

Old Member
Jill...what you seem to be trying to create is a design that would be typically produced for a wood floor. The grain in your design is going the wrong direction. Also you seem to have a mix of plywood grain and hardwood grain and something else. I think for someone who is in the wood business, it's kind of critical to have all the detail correct. Unfortunately I don't have the answer for you here just yet but later I'll try to put some thought into it.

Goatboy

Jill after you apply your wood grain fill select the interactive fill tool. Should be just below the the fill tool on a default tool bar. Once your in this tool you will notice your wood grain fill will have handles. Try manipulating them until you have the look you want to achieve.

Jillbeans

Thanks for all the advice folks.
Still waiting for feedback from the client on this one.
They are still not sure what they want, I even offered up their original Algerian (altered).
Love....Jill

Attachments

• cepris4.jpg
    cepris4.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 79
  • cepris5.jpg
    cepris5.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 77

rdm01

Me and my brother have both done wood working, and I agree this may cause some distress to someone who knows woodworking, woods, grain, and construction. You definitely do not want to have the plywood texture in there. I would laugh a little if I saw that on a sign or vehicle. You want to look at what the grain is doing and try to organize them like someone who was building that would. I don't mean any disrespect, the concept is great, I just think the fill is a bit distracting.