• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee Questions

kylelnsn

Hi fellow Sign Makers, :signs101:

Excuse this as my first post, I am currently completing my final year at University (Studying Product Design) and I am undertaking a design project to redesign the squeegee (As im also a sign maker). Now I want to achieve a more 'beautiful' product but also pass on extra benefits like faster application etc etc. I have a few questions I would massively appreciate some input on. I would also like a photo or two if possible but this will be discussed at the end of this post.

So a few questions;
1. What is your favourite/most used squeegee? And why?

2. What is the most frustrating/disappointing thing you experience with current squeegees.

3. What would you change, add or remove?

4. Is there anyway a different squeegee could speed up or increase your productivity?

5. Would it be of benefit to have a modular system, to incorporate wheels, squeegees, knives etc etc?

:thankyou:

These are just some quick questions to hopefully stem some really informative insights and discussion on this subject.

Another thing which is a bit of a curve ball is could I ask you to take a photo of you and your favourite squeegee and another photo of a collection of your squeegees and tools or how they are stored. Now I dont expect anyone to share these on a public forum so you can email them to kylelnsn @ gmail.com this will be used in my course work, if you want to email the answers to questions or input at the same time then that would be awesome!

Thanks for your time! :) :U Rock:

wildside

Ill take question 5 for 200 alex.....

Seriously, wheels and knives on a squeegee.... good times......

401Graphics

how about a squeegee that doesn't leave any scratches what so ever. even on black vinyl. that would be a miracle

kanini

#2: When the felt edge wears out on the edges of the squeegee, suddently giving you a sticky stripe of goo on the vinyl you're applying... Takes a lot of cleaner and elbow grease to get that off... =P

C

ColoPrinthead

I like using felt ones. It would be nice if the felt didn't shed off.

Caitlin

I find eventually the hard edge of my squeegee wears down or comes off in threads almost and I need to trim them off and then the edge isn't entirely straight anymore.
:(

Caitlin

You can sharpen them fyi.....just rub the sharp edge back and forth along the bump/rounded strips in the center, until it shaves all the crap off and gives you a clean, straight edge again.

:thumb: Cool. I have tried a few things, usually I just grab another one to keep working. I'll try this next time!

ProColorGraphics

If I am installing a wrap, I will only use the micro fiber ones I got from Image 1 Impact. I thought $14 a piece was nuts, but they work nice.

I actually bought a squeegee sharpener once, it works great. I think it was from Signmart?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Seriously folks...we're talking about a few bucks for the main tool of putting on vinyl. Why on Earth would you worry about sharpening them when you can just budget $4 into the cost of a job every now and then to cover the cost.

slappy

I'm now thinking about all the squeegee's i could have sharpened that are now in the trash....

i like the four sided squeegee idea. I like my blue squeegees and gold cause one is stiff and the other isn't.... be really cool to have a tie die looking one if your going to make these, or some color so they stand out at least...
also like a squeegee holder in the car would be cool. I tend to take mine home with me so i have a stash there also from finding them in my back pocket, inside my hoodie or jacket pocket when i get home, and i keep forgetting to bring them back.

Mosh

That is what the little ridges are for on a squegie. You run another squeegie edge on it and it sharpens it....

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
5. An LED light and spray nozzle for lubricant.

But seriously, don't redesign the squeegee - add a slide-in ergonomic grip. Would fit nicely on those little ridges.

slappy

That is what the little ridges are for on a squegie. You run another squeegie edge on it and it sharpens it....

i thought those were for griping it lol

i'm going to go try that right now before i leave. i must see this lol

SolitaryT

If someone could design a squeegee with the same firmness, give, and texture as a human thumb, well, I think we may be getting somewhere. Until then, I'll keep bowls of ice at my desk on days we do wraps.

kylelnsn

Thanks for the input so far, I have started generating some concepts and may share if I can. Any further input is gratefully received and any idea etc?

Also any thoughts on scalpels and rules? :thankyou: