• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting My Own Shop...

Dr. Decal

I have been a 1 man show employee for 8 years now. I am currently in my second shop, in which I am the entire graphics department. I have been putting alot of thought recently into starting my own business. I have always felt underpaid for what I bring to the company (both that I've worked for), and have a hard time seeing the point in getting a small hourly wage, when I am practically running my own business within their business.

I recently purchased my home, and have a 30 x 40 basement, with a ground level exit. I also have a close friend who recently purchased an auto detailing shop. He offers window tint, accessories, bed liners, and all things of the sort. He asked me recently if I would be interested in doing graphics out of his shop just to bring in more business.

My tentative plan is to buy printer/cutter and a laminator, and make my basement into my production house. Then, do all graphics installs and have some retail graphics available for sale at his garage.

My current employer only started offering graphics when I came on board. I would really like to work out a contract with them to keep doing their graphics work as a sub-contractor. This way, they will still be able to offer graphics, and I will have steady work as I build my clientele. Also have thought of using this contract to procure the equipment I will need. I am the only one that knows how to use any of it. I thought of perhaps a contract along the lines of the first $20,000 in merchandise would be supplied free of charge in return for the machine. (Roland TruVis VG540) The machine was bought new last year for right around $20,000, and the owner bragged that I had paid it off with the first order I ran through it.

I do not expect them to go for this. If no reason more than pride. I will most likely be financing my equipment.

The competition in my area is minimal, and most of the work I have seen is not impressive. I doubt my current employer will go for the idea of me leaving to be a sub contractor, but they have no graphics department otherwise. I think I can make it on my own, but am a bit reluctant to pull the proverbial trigger. Although, the idea of running my own shop from home sounds much better than doing all the sales/quotes/design/production/installation by myself for $13/hr.

I have the space, I have the knowledge, I have the credit to finance equipment....now all I need is the guts to go through with it. I take great pride in my work, and just want to be able to make more money for it.

Any input is appreciated...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have been a 1 man show employee for 8 years now. I am currently in my second shop, in which I am the entire graphics department. I have been putting alot of thought recently into starting my own business. I have always felt underpaid for what I bring to the company (both that I've worked for), and have a hard time seeing the point in getting a small hourly wage, when I am practically running my own business within their business.

I recently purchased my home, and have a 30 x 40 basement, with a ground level exit. I also have a close friend who recently purchased an auto detailing shop. He offers window tint, accessories, bed liners, and all things of the sort. He asked me recently if I would be interested in doing graphics out of his shop just to bring in more business.

My tentative plan is to buy printer/cutter and a laminator, and make my basement into my production house. Then, do all graphics installs and have some retail graphics available for sale at his garage.

My current employer only started offering graphics when I came on board. I would really like to work out a contract with them to keep doing their graphics work as a sub-contractor. This way, they will still be able to offer graphics, and I will have steady work as I build my clientele. Also have thought of using this contract to procure the equipment I will need. I am the only one that knows how to use any of it. I thought of perhaps a contract along the lines of the first $20,000 in merchandise would be supplied free of charge in return for the machine. (Roland TruVis VG540) The machine was bought new last year for right around $20,000, and the owner bragged that I had paid it off with the first order I ran through it.

I do not expect them to go for this. If no reason more than pride. I will most likely be financing my equipment.

The competition in my area is minimal, and most of the work I have seen is not impressive. I doubt my current employer will go for the idea of me leaving to be a sub contractor, but they have no graphics department otherwise. I think I can make it on my own, but am a bit reluctant to pull the proverbial trigger. Although, the idea of running my own shop from home sounds much better than doing all the sales/quotes/design/production/installation by myself for $13/hr.

I have the space, I have the knowledge, I have the credit to finance equipment....now all I need is the guts to go through with it. I take great pride in my work, and just want to be able to make more money for it.

Wait a sec.. So, you have been doing this for 8 years and only make 13 an hour?
And you were still able to purchase a home?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually when someone is basically running the show for someone else, it's easy to get to thinking about how it COULD be. So, you should let that outta the equation and just concentrate on what you can do for them and what you could do for yourself.

Get rid of the idea of going into cahoots with someone else, at least for the beginning. You won't remain friends very long if something goes wrong.

Personally, I would make a clean break of it if that's what you really wanna do. Then, approach him at a later date and ask if he'd like to sub work out to you. If you even look remotely like you're holding him, his business or equipment hostage, he will have a bitter taste in his mouth towards you and word will get around. Starting up, you don't need that headache.

You said there isn't much competition around, but he will become your biggest thorn, so make sure you part on nice terms.

Many many years ago, when I broke away from my old boss..... I shook his hand and said thanks and he practically told me to go f*ck myself, turned around and walked away. I was about 80% of his production and the others were all part-timers. Without me, he hadda work much harder and for a year or so, he did nothing but cross me at every possibility. We bid against each other and I almost always won. My first year, I did 1/2 of what he did after 30 years of being in business. He saw I wasn't gonna go anywhere and he called me to farm work out to me. He paid my price and we became friends again, cause I made him a lotta money. I never said anything bad about him or his business, but I can't say the same for him.

Take the high road, do it on your own, keep your chin up and if you know what you say you do, you should go far. It's kinda like being on the merry-a-go-round and reaching out for that proverbial gold ring. You;'ll never know, unless you reach out and GRAB it.

Dr. Decal

Wait a sec.. So, you have been doing this for 8 years and only make 13 an hour?
And you were still able to purchase a home?
Yes...8 years - $13/hr.....first 7 years were at a smaller shop, and around a year and a half here. The reasoning I'm always given as to why I can't be paid more is "the West Virginia economy". The only reason I was able to buy my home, is the fact that I bought it from my grandmother and got a smokin' deal.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
grab small ballz and get to it....

if you "hafta ask" you probably won't make it......

it comes from within

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Yes...8 years - $13/hr.....first 7 years were at a smaller shop, and around a year and a half here. The reasoning I'm always given as to why I can't be paid more is "the West Virginia economy". The only reason I was able to buy my home, is the fact that I bought it from my grandmother and got a smokin' deal.

I always tell this to sign makers who are employed..."you are in charge of your career path"

Same goes with your business, Don't rely on anyone to give you a break, especially your cheapskate employer. The "economy" excuse does not cut it... not with that kind of experience, the only thing that might benefit you is working for a larger shop that knows what they are doing.

--- Do it on your own...
--- Ask someone with real experience to look at your work... do not rely on your former employee, friends or hack sign shops...
--- Expect hostility from your employer...
--- Leave a big gaping hole at your job so that this clown feels the pain of you leaving, but remember, we are all replaceable.
--- it's good to have confidence, but you may not be as good as you think...

equippaint

I agree with Gino. Its easy to think that your employer is doing well and how much better it is working for yourself but most don't actually know. He could be broke and telling the truth that its a crappy market, you need to find this out. I'd highly encourage you to develop a business plan before you make the plunge for 3 reasons.
1. if you do it objectively, you should know a break even point and how much you actually have to get to pay your bills and how much additional work you need to have in order to be at the same place you are at now. How much money will you take vs how much will you plow back in. You can very easily end up with a big pay cut. I did for over 2 years until the business started to hold its own.
2. you have a well organized plan so that when you start, you are able to hit the ground running in an organized fashion. You don't jump in your car and randomly drive somewhere for vacation, you know where you are going and how to get there.
3. know how you are going to get business. it isn't always easy.
Get your finances in order to make sure you can get an equipment loan, it may not be possible since it will be a new business with no income stream. Make sure you have reserve funds, it takes time to build up positive cash flow. Most businesses fail from lack of cash at startup. Don't use your home equity for a loan either, that doesn't end well. If you don't have the cash now, cut back and save while you work until you do. Trust me on the reserve funds, it is probably the most important thing. Don't take on a partner either in any way shape or form. That rarely works out.
Another option to consider is talking to your boss about buying the business from him. Let him hold a note for x number of years. A quick business valuation would be 2-3x annual net to give you an idea on what its worth. Assets don't usually come into play, they're generally only worth what they produce not including real estate if it's owned.

ikarasu

Personally I'd never start a business on loans. Some do it, and in some cases it's needed... but for a simple printer/laminator/cutter combo, it's not.

Start small... You can buy a latex 110 for $7000, 54" FC grapghtec allowing you to do cut contour, for $6000... and a decent laminator for $5000. So for the price of the $20k printer you want, you can get all 3.

Your boss isn't going to give you the printer in exchange for 20k worth of free work, especially if he claims he made that 20k back the first job you did. Odds are he'll find someone else who can run the machine, or train them how.

Do you have an emergency fund? Enough cash to survive a few years with no income?

Last thing you want is to start a business, and then lose your house, or something else.

getting a loyal customer base is hard - you may be the best printer in town, but you're probably not the cheapest... and most people tend to cheap out. Finding those who want quality work ,and are willing to pay for it, come 1 in every 20 customers.

It's not as easy as it seems. You need to establish yourself, the first year, or years, you can expect to make less than your making now, which hurts doubly so if you take out a loan to purchase your equipment, without a means to back it up.

I'm doing what you want to do, kind of. I just purchased my own house... and I purchased a printer/cutter/laminator. I'm not quitting my job though... while I could survive for a year or two without pay, I wouldn't like it.

Instead... I'm doing stuff my company has no interest in. I'll be focussing on car wraps, decals, other work my business isn't into - Then I'm not competing with them, and I can hold onto my job.

I'm the only guy operating the machines at work also. I'm the only guy who knows how, as the people who trained me have moved on. If I left, they'd lose a lot of business... I eventually want to go full on with my business, but if/when I do... I'll give them PLENTY of notice, offer to train a new employee, thank them for giving me the chance/opportunity, and offer as much help as they needed for a smooth transition.

Never burn a bridge - I'm lucky enough that my company is great. It's not the best pay... but they allow me a lot of leeway in how I do things, let me constantly Train/try new things, even at the cost of wasted media. They've put a lot of time into me, and while I don't "owe" them anything per-say, I'm grateful for the opportunity they gave me. If it weren't for them, I never would have found digital printing, and decided to try it out on my own.

So... Try to leave amicably. Don't tell him "i'm the onl yone who can do this, pay me $20 an hour or I'm out". Tell him you'd like to move on, you appreciate what he's done for you, but you're ready to start on your own. Offer to give someone some basic training and get them up to speed. Tell him if it's not worth the effort, you'd be glad to offer him a discount on any work he farms out to you.

Maybe down the line you could use his help / farm out work to him. It's better to have friends in the business, than enemies.

Signchief

Is $13 an hour the going rate for a competent employee in your field in your area?
You should consider the fact that while you are running a portion of their business you are not the reason that business is coming in and possessing a digital printer doesn't automatically generate customers, the company you work for has the ability to generate the work for you that they do because of their client base which you won't have.

To generate the amount of sales you will need to make more than $13/hr you will have to spend 20-30 hours a week minimum going door to door just to generate enough business to keep yourself busy making signs for another 20-30 hours a week and you only get paid for the signs u sell.
Ask yourself an important question, do you want to start your own business to make more money or to do something bigger than what your doing now? This is a very important question because your desire to make money doesn't mean you will. If you can imagine working two months straight without putting any money in your pocket or even losing money for the idea of owning something you can call your own then take the leap.
Owning your own business is not just about making money because you won't always turn a profit, it's about much more than that.
If $13 an hour is a fair wage in your market i would not invest in starting your own business in that market because you would be risking too much. Also the $20000 price tag on that printer will end up being much more after the high interest rate you will have to pay, over five years of interest and maintenance cost i bet it would be more like $30000...
I would never discourage someone from starting their own business but I warn against doing it strictly out of profit motive. If you're looking to make more money find a better employer but if you want more than a paycheck start your own business!

WrapYourCar

Is $13 an hour the going rate for a competent employee in your field in your area?
You should consider the fact that while you are running a portion of their business you are not the reason that business is coming in and possessing a digital printer doesn't automatically generate customers, the company you work for has the ability to generate the work for you that they do because of their client base which you won't have.

To generate the amount of sales you will need to make more than $13/hr you will have to spend 20-30 hours a week minimum going door to door just to generate enough business to keep yourself busy making signs for another 20-30 hours a week and you only get paid for the signs u sell.
Ask yourself an important question, do you want to start your own business to make more money or to do something bigger than what your doing now? This is a very important question because your desire to make money doesn't mean you will. If you can imagine working two months straight without putting any money in your pocket or even losing money for the idea of owning something you can call your own then take the leap.
Owning your own business is not just about making money because you won't always turn a profit, it's about much more than that.
If $13 an hour is a fair wage in your market i would not invest in starting your own business in that market because you would be risking too much. Also the $20000 price tag on that printer will end up being much more after the high interest rate you will have to pay, over five years of interest and maintenance cost i bet it would be more like $30000...
I would never discourage someone from starting their own business but I warn against doing it strictly out of profit motive. If you're looking to make more money find a better employer but if you want more than a paycheck start your own business!

Great advice... i was pushed into starting a business by my father.. I was happy working as a senior Graphic designer. After having my own business I now work much harder and multitasking a gazillion tasks is a daily skill you need to have. Working for other people is much much easier, when you go home you switch off... running your own business means your constantly thinking about it. If I were to do it again I'd be happy working full time for someone and have a tiny side hobby business, probably would be less stressed and making similar $$. Maybe just try working for a place who will pay you more $$ first. Atleast $25 - $30? Do you install signs too?

DerbyCitySignGuy

You'll never get anywhere if you don't try. Why make money for this other guy when you can be making money for yourself?

Check and see what kind of courses are available in your area for running small businesses. Go rub elbows with other business owners in your area. If you think you can get a small business loan and make this happen, I think you should go for it. It's risky, but if you're willing to jump in, this could be life changing for you.

Not sure what the cost of living is like in WV, but you should definitely be making more than $13 an hour. After eight years, especially with all the work you're doing, I'd be expecting you to make a MINIMUM of $18 an hour.

Good luck, keep us updated!

FatCat

Lots of good replies here, and good advice. I was in your shoes in 2008, although different circumstances. The economy was in the tank, I had lost my job of 14 years in the offset printing biz and had just recently purchased a Roland vinyl cutter and was doing banners, yard signs and decals on the side. I had about $7,000.00 saved in the bank from my side business. After trying repeatedly to get a job in offset as before, I finally decided to roll the dice and start my own business with that money. I purchased a demo Mutoh 1204 and slowly, but steadily learned new skills, added more equipment, and interacted with some other 1-man show sign guys who graciously taught me skills and methods that I might never have learned on my own. Fast forward to today, I have a 2,500 sq ft shop, two 64" solvent printers, scissor lift, bucket truck, 3 employees, and more tools and equipment than I would have dared dream - BUT it hasnt been easy...and I still dont feel I am where I "need" to be.

At this moment in time, I have mixed feelings about the past 8-9 years - but I'm a believer in "things happen for a reason" and that "hard work eventually pays off". I firmly believe I had to lose my job to push me to start my own sign business. I discovered I am the type of person who is happier steering his own ship than sailing on someone else's. That said, I've had many sleepless nights, many 16+ hour days/nights, worried how I was going to pay my bills and many more times fretting about how I was going to get it all done by myself. I've ran my body into the ground, missed a lot of quality time with my wife and son that I would have had if I had just kept on working a 40 hour week. I realize now I can never get that back. But again, I am happier being in control of my own destiny than not. Perhaps I am selfish, or just wired differently? Honestly, I can't say....

However, I will wish you the very best and just want to caution that if you take this step you must be COMMITTED to succeed. There is little sympathy or comfort for a small business owner in this world. Customers don't care if you're sick, tired, hurting or your son has a game at 5:00pm and you need to leave early. The business often has to come before all of that for the good of the cause. I'm not saying it always has to, but it often times in my experience it felt that way - and if I didn't put the business first, I wouldn't be where I am now. I am proud of what I have achieved so far, proud of my shop and proud of the people who work hard for me and trust me to provide for their families. Its a big responsibility once you get employees and knowing that if you fail, you are also failing them. So again, I have mixed feelings on the whole experience, but looking back I can say I wouldn't have done it any differently.

Good luck to you!

Turnergraphics

Lots of good replies here, and good advice. I was in your shoes in 2008, although different circumstances. The economy was in the tank, I had lost my job of 14 years in the offset printing biz and had just recently purchased a Roland vinyl cutter and was doing banners, yard signs and decals on the side. I had about $7,000.00 saved in the bank from my side business. After trying repeatedly to get a job in offset as before, I finally decided to roll the dice and start my own business with that money. I purchased a demo Mutoh 1204 and slowly, but steadily learned new skills, added more equipment, and interacted with some other 1-man show sign guys who graciously taught me skills and methods that I might never have learned on my own. Fast forward to today, I have a 2,500 sq ft shop, two 64" solvent printers, scissor lift, bucket truck, 3 employees, and more tools and equipment than I would have dared dream - BUT it hasnt been easy...and I still dont feel I am where I "need" to be.

At this moment in time, I have mixed feelings about the past 8-9 years - but I'm a believer in "things happen for a reason" and that "hard work eventually pays off". I firmly believe I had to lose my job to push me to start my own sign business. I discovered I am the type of person who is happier steering his own ship than sailing on someone else's. That said, I've had many sleepless nights, many 16+ hour days/nights, worried how I was going to pay my bills and many more times fretting about how I was going to get it all done by myself. I've ran my body into the ground, missed a lot of quality time with my wife and son that I would have had if I had just kept on working a 40 hour week. I realize now I can never get that back. But again, I am happier being in control of my own destiny than not. Perhaps I am selfish, or just wired differently? Honestly, I can't say....

However, I will wish you the very best and just want to caution that if you take this step you must be COMMITTED to succeed. There is little sympathy or comfort for a small business owner in this world. Customers don't care if you're sick, tired, hurting or your son has a game at 5:00pm and you need to leave early. The business often has to come before all of that for the good of the cause. I'm not saying it always has to, but it often times in my experience it felt that way - and if I didn't put the business first, I wouldn't be where I am now. I am proud of what I have achieved so far, proud of my shop and proud of the people who work hard for me and trust me to provide for their families. Its a big responsibility once you get employees and knowing that if you fail, you are also failing them. So again, I have mixed feelings on the whole experience, but looking back I can say I wouldn't have done it any differently.

Good luck to you!
Ditto on all Sean says. It's tough, and only you can answer is it worth it. When I started my business, there wasn't anything I wanted more than to be self employed. It's been 20 years now and we are very successful but it's not come easy. Last night I got home after 10 pm because of lack of skilled and affordable help. It's a constant battle.

Johnny Best

If you have good work ethics and are self motivated then you should be alright.
Just put your nose to the grindstone and do the best you can. Just take the ups and downs of business as a learning tool and you will survive.
WE need more people like you in our business Dr. Decal, good luck, "Make America great again"!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are willing to look yourself in the mirror and be an honest judge of your capabilities, and you pass the test.... all ya hafta really do is produce good professional work, fair prices and good service and you'll form a wonderful reputation. For some, this takes years or maybe even a decade or two. For others, it can happen in a matter of months, if they find the right niche. Don't cut corners and use this place for all it's got to offer. Like mentioned, your attitude is up there and if you don't do it now, you'll always be wondering..... what if ??

You don't hafta do hand-painting, screen printing or weld a can together, but you'll learn these things as you go, if you're successful.

Good luck and don't ever hesitate to e-mail me directly or call me on the phone.

Gino

Sarah Garcia

I am in a similar boat, but not quite the same. I make plenty at my current job, and bought a used Roland SC-500, but i'm having a hard time with the knowledge of how to use it, and design stuff. I've had a vinyl cutter for a few years, but got tired of sending people away for full color stuff. I have basically no experience with design, but i've done pretty well with everything i've previously done. My dilemma is to quit my job (tax software) for $56k a year, to learn how to do this... I have the equipment, just not the time or knowledge. I don't quite have the balls to jump yet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am in a similar boat, but not quite the same. I make plenty at my current job, and bought a used Roland SC-500, but i'm having a hard time with the knowledge of how to use it, and design stuff. I've had a vinyl cutter for a few years, but got tired of sending people away for full color stuff. I have basically no experience with design, but i've done pretty well with everything i've previously done. My dilemma is to quit my job (tax software) for $56k a year, to learn how to do this... I have the equipment, just not the time or knowledge. I don't quite have the balls to jump yet.

I'm gonna tell you the same as I told Mr Decal..... Try starting your own thread concerning your own situation and you'll get much better answers and results than mixing it in with his.

Vinyldog

Too bad you don't live closer to Oklahoma. I have everything you would need to get started. Although if you're going to do vehicle wraps my 54in printer probably wouldn't be ideal.

sign girl

So when you say you are a "one man show" does that mean you find jobs, quote jobs, design the job, get customer approval, invoice and collect the down payment, order the material, schedule the job, print the job, prep the substrate, lay the material, call the customer, invoice the customer and receive payment. I am sure I missed some of the things that go into one job. If you do all of this then you are most certainly a one man show. You should open your own shop.

Other question, when you took this position why did you agree to that wage if you knew you were worth so much more? Why don't you go to your boss and tell him what you are worth and what you do and what you could do better and what other tasks you are willing to take on and tell him you are expecting a $...amount raise. If he laughs at you, you know what you have to do because it will never get better.

Please keep in mind that everyone is replaceable. It may cost your company in the long run but you don't see a lot of business's cave because 1 person leaves.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Too bad you don't live closer to Oklahoma. I have everything you would need to get started. Although if you're going to do vehicle wraps my 54in printer probably wouldn't be ideal.

Ya know, that ain't a bad idea. If the price is right, he could fly out, rent a one-way U-haul and take in a little scenery on the way home. Could work out for everyone.

I have another question. You say all this stuff about W. Virginia, but your avatar says your'e from S. Carolina. Do you commute on top of that remarkable hourly wage ??​