• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting " NEW " Sign Business need some book ideas

Mrsignman

Hi All ,
Great Site , Just a quick question ...... Can anyone reccomend some good books on getting into the Sign Business.Have purchased a new plotter and looking for some books for reference back on when needed . My Daughter has been in the business for 8 plus yrs but in another city and I need something for quick reference instead of bothering her all the time.
Thanks so much Mrsignman

Salmoneye

What part of the business is it that you are trying to learn? Software, design, marketing, accounting, sales, maintenance, installation, pricing, management, workflow, fabrication, permit writing, engineering, legal? You would certainly have to tell us a little more.

skyhigh

when i first bought my house, i went to the book store and purchased my first *how to* entitled Plumbing For Dummies.

I havent seen one for signs. This place is your next best bet. Hit the search button.

You would actually reference a book when u have the internet sitting in front of you??

If gore would have invented the internet a little sooner, i could have saved 20 bucks on that darn book.

Did your daughter hook up your plotter when she was home for easter?

binki

The first thing I would recommend is to write a business plan. This will spell out all the things you need to do and will essentially force you to find the answers you are looking for. We all have to start somewhere and it is a bold move to do this but you really need to prepare yourself for this adventure. It is a lot of hard work but can be very rewarding or very frustrating.

Good luck.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
You'll need more than some quick reference and a plotter. Solid design skills, a business plan, accounting ability, and good old fashion marketing know how are what you need as well. Start with that, then move to your sign business.