• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stickers advice

LaserImage

I have a sticker job, 150 3" x 8" stickers, that I just can't figure out how to do... The sticker is very simple, just two lines of text in two different colors of vinyl. The problem, my problem anyway, is that the customer wants them ready to apply, both colors and lines at one time.
If they could put them on separately then I would just plot, weed and apply transfer tape - no problem. What I need to do is put them together somehow.
I thought about cutting each line and taping the backing together, then applying transfer tape but the bottom line has one letter that sticks up into the top line and I don't think I could cut around it easily.

What is the best way to do this? It's only 150 of them, but I don't want to spend several minutes each putting them together - at 2 minutes each it would be 5 hours!

I would also appreciate any direction to a book, video, website, etc., that has this type of instruction. I watched a very basic video from SignWarehouse, but it barely covered hinging techniques, let alone anything remotely advanced.

Thanks!
Gary

Rhino

I say either print them or cut them in a way that you can transfer several at a time from one backing to the other.

LaserImage

I say either print them or cut them in a way that you can transfer several at a time from one backing to the other.

How do you transfer from one backing to the other? The transfer tape seems too sticky to allow me to do that.

Any more detail on how to do that?

WVB

Ok so get the pms colors that match up the Avery vinyl and outsource it to be printed. By the time you post here and think of excuses to not do it yourself you would be done...

Either A) print them or B) cut each color seperate leaving enough room to add second color of vinyl. Cover the smaller one first, then transfer it to the second one with the larger piece of backing.

Choice wisely old one, may the force be with you...

Bogie

Might help if we could see...

If it's too lines, I'd cut a "bounding box" around them, weed 'em out, then straight edge cut above the lower line, hand cutting around the letter that sticks up. Position them together, then mask.

LaserImage

Amen, I hate the word "stickers" and only utter that word when referring to the little paper things that kids STICK on stuff!!! I don't make stickers.

I'm not arguing with you about a term in your industry, but in my model making background, decals always referred to waterslide decals, not something like vinyl.

I promise to change my ways though!

LaserImage

Might help if we could see...

If it's too lines, I'd cut a "bounding box" around them, weed 'em out, then straight edge cut above the lower line, hand cutting around the letter that sticks up. Position them together, then mask.

That's what I thought I was going to do until I figured out how much time it would take to do it that way. I was hoping for something less time consuming.

Also, the "obvious" way I thought of doint it was not likely to be the way that a seasoned pro would do it - that's why I'm here, to learn from the people who have done it before.

LaserImage

By the time you post here and think of excuses to not do it yourself you would be done...

I have been spending my time trying to come up with creative ways of getting it done, not "excuses not to do it" myself. I am not sure what I typed that gave you that impression, but that is absolutely not what I was doing. I am a rookie and looking for help.

Either A) print them or B) cut each color seperate leaving enough room to add second color of vinyl. Cover the smaller one first, then transfer it to the second one with the larger piece of backing.

That's exactly the advice I was looking for - options.

ChiknNutz

It still may make more sense, both financially AND from a sanity POV, to have these printed for you. You collect a check for NO work on your part.

iSign

vinyl di-cuts... another incorrect term, but the lesser of evils IMO.

how much did you charge?