• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sticky keyboard

knucklehead

For some reason my wireless keyboard, decided it wasn't going to play anymore. So, I retrieved the other wireless keyboard off my old PC, been in a box for a while. It works, but the keys are kinda sticky. Would a few shots of WD40 hurt a sticky keyboard.

OldPaint

price of a new keyboard..............to much for ya????? i got one of them yellow keys blackletters....$14.00. but the letters ware off real easy........

Locals Find!

You can wash a keyboard in the top rack of a dishwasher with the heated drying feature turned off. Then allow to drain & dry. Make sure to seal up the usb or ps2 connection tight first. I use the tip of a latex glove and a couple of loops of a rubbermaid to seal up the cord end.

Alternatively, you can also soak it in a sink of soapy water. I prefer to use dawn as it cuts grease. Then drain & dry.

I have been doing this with all my corded keyboards since the 80's and works everytime.

Edit: Just re-read and you said, wireless. For a wireless I usually just pop the keys and clean it with swabs dipped in alcohol or if it's really bad some goo gone.

knucklehead

Well, seeings how I'm about 40 miles from anywhere, to get a relacement wireless keyboard set. I'm just trying to get through right now, until I can make the run to the office store.

I guess those who are comfortable getting their computer periphicals at the dollar store, one of those 'As Seen on TV' lighted up units may work. Think I'll pass.

I've also washed some keyboards, don't know how well the wireless would work in the dishwasher. Then I'd be down to no keyboard.

Think I'm gonna try some contact cleaner, then maybe some WD

OldPaint

i have been "computin'" since 1992, and before that i was trained on computers in 1972.....when the keyboard was a "selectric typewriter."!!!!!! and i have yet to work a keyboard.......in any other place then in front of the monitor.......so being wireless........has no use for me. the $14 AS SEEN ON TV keyboard is workin better then yours...........seems to me))))))))))

CanuckSigns

You can wash a keyboard in the top rack of a dishwasher with the heated drying feature turned off. Then allow to drain & dry. Make sure to seal up the usb or ps2 connection tight first. I use the tip of a latex glove and a couple of loops of a rubbermaid to seal up the cord end.

Alternatively, you can also soak it in a sink of soapy water. I prefer to use dawn as it cuts grease. Then drain & dry.

I have been doing this with all my corded keyboards since the 80's and works everytime.

Edit: Just re-read and you said, wireless. For a wireless I usually just pop the keys and clean it with swabs dipped in alcohol or if it's really bad some goo gone.

i can't say i've ever tried these methods, if there is one member here who would be an expert at dealing with sticky keyboards, it's Addie...

earplug

DO NOT use WD40. It contains waxes as a protective coating. It will gum up your keyboard and attract more dirt. It will also insulate the electrical contacts causing them not to work.

phototec

DO NOT use WD40. It contains waxes as a protective coating. It will gum up your keyboard and attract more dirt. It will also insulate the electrical contacts causing them not to work.

+1

Also I have read that WD40 destroys rubber and can discolor many plastics. Using it on a keyboard would be a very bad idea (IMO).

:omg: