• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sticky Yard

jgolo

It's a cool idea..

and program, but I just use flexi and measure the vehicle or object that I have a picture of.

John

GregT

I just purchased the magnetic and sticky yard. The first time I tried to use the magnetic on a van it kept falling off. I have yet to try the sticky one.

2NinerNiner2

I notice that they have a patent pending...hmm, going to have to let them know I have done this since 1995! ..."prior art" :) And if the sign shop where I had the adhesive rulers made keeps their customer files archived, there ya go! :) BTW, I HAVE a US Patent on the software process that can incorporate the use of said measuring devices. My system is used to measure damage to aircraft structures; the exact same idea...take a digital photo (quite a novel concept back in 1995! :) with the ruler applied near the damage, then scale it in CorelDRAW. Not a new idea, but one that works quite well :)

Checkers

I'd say it's worth it if you're bad at math. I've interviewed many potential employees, only to reject them because they couldn't read a ruler and/or couldn't add fractions.
I guess learning about middle east politics or who the president slept with is more important :(

Checkers

nuke

signs since 1999
Better Idea

I'm sure this product works great. Before they came out with this I made my own. Take a peice of magnet material 24" long
put 2 peices of double side tape to the white side
this away you can stick to either metal or other surfaces.
Just an Idea

Cadmn

Checkers said:
I'd say it's worth it if you're bad at math. I've interviewed many potential employees, only to reject them because they couldn't read a ruler and/or couldn't add fractions.
I guess learning about middle east politics or who the president slept with is more important :(

Checkers
Have you been somewhere were thepower has gone off. recently we were at a resturaunt & got our meal free because no one could add & subtract & they didn't want to accept anyone elses math. Oh well it was good & free made it even better.:Cool 2:

Techman

I been making my own sticky rulers with scrap digi print material for a LONG time. In fact, encad has a ruler image made for for printing and calibrating.. Print it,, place it on mag material. Use it. Sheesh, patent it all they want.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The difficulty I have with their concept is that in a lot of situations it won't be all that accurate. 36" is fine to scale a 48" space by but if you're doing vehicles your enlargement accurace is in direct relation to the distance you measure. If I measure from the taillight to the break at the front door to front fender, then I'm covering well over 2/3 of the vehicle's length. If I slap a magnet on the side that's 1/4 that distance, then my enlargement accuracy is only 1/4 as good. On a typical van, that could put you off by an inch or two.

Flame

I use a spray mask, spray the entire van, wait a half hour, peel off and then run through my desktop scanner. That way I can get it EXACTLY right.

lol. Just kidding. I just pull up a vehicle outlines CD, make a bunch of measurements, add them into the outline, tweak it to make it close, and then start over when I actually get the van in my shop. I struggle trusting a computer to tell me exactly how big something is.... and I end up doing most of the measuring myself. Thinking of trying the whole make your own using a magnet thing, sounds like it would work.:smile:

Blazingsun

Im looking at it like the rest, Why would you spend 50 bucks when you can just make one of the Magnetic rulers or stick on.. And use our design progams..:help: As for the program it self it has no real features that would make me buy the program.. its just a program with a ruler.

And as Fred said, Ive been playing around with this program Im seeing some inaccuracy in the measurements of around 1/4 of an inch.

Its interesting to see everyones thoughs on this.

ovrcafnatd

I keep 2 small mags in the truck
one black and one white - both 6"x8" and take a digital and then size it in Corel.
and if I've got another hand
just take measurement of wheel base
center of front wheel to center of back wheel......digital
and size up in Corel.

seems to work fine for me