• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stitch em up -Tutorial

Goatboy

I had a member send me an email asking for a method to stitching quickly. Having never done it before I figured I would toy with it and see what I could come up with. As with anything, there are many ways to achieve an effect. That being said, I hope this give a little insight to the tools being used...in this case the star is the blend tool.

We start out with our item we want to have stitched...in this case its a text line converted to curves made fairly small for some effects I might add later...scale is handy here for production aspects later on.

Next we use the Bezier Tool to draw ourselves a basic stitch. The key to this how Corel uses oulined objects in reguards to the blend tool. So after I make my stitch I go to outline properties and make everything nice and round.

I then rotate and place my stitch on the letter as I would want it to look. I copy the stitch and move it to a different part of the letter, again rotating it. With both stiches selected I go to my blend flyout. At the top left of my screen I will use the preset straight 20. This gives us the start of our stitch blend. From here we go to path properties and select New path. This will give us an Apply arrow which we select our textline.

We are now on the home stretch. You can see that the stiches look odd and sparse, so we go to Misc Blend Options and select Blend along full path(which will add stitches all through the oject) as well as Rotate All Objects. After this we can see the stitches throughout the text line but we hardly have enough....so we add more. I chose 250 for this line and it looked pretty good. you can add more or less till you get the number your after.

You have now made a quick and easy stitch...I took it a bit further with some effects to get the look I wanted. The overall time for this was about 5 mins for the basic stitch and 10 mins to replicate and put some little touches. Hope this helps and if you have any question by all means feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Stitch Final.jpg
    Stitch Final.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Stitch 1.jpg
    Stitch 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Stitch 2.jpg
    Stitch 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Stitch 3.jpg
    Stitch 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Stitch 4.jpg
    Stitch 4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Stitch 6.jpg
    Stitch 6.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 113
  • stitch 7.jpg
    stitch 7.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 128

Air Art Girl

thanks Aaron. I did it a bit different so it had a more zig zag stitch look but I think I will try it with your method

jiarby

Do you think this effect would be a good use for an artistic brush....
Draw the stitch pattern, then the outline?

Goatboy

yes and no...you could generate and save a complete stitch and spray it out..but getting it splayed around an object would take more time...the goal here was to create the effect quickly.