• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stress

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Definitely some good points there. I need to get to a point where the schedule is done the day before so when I/we get it in, you don't have to worry about what you need to start with/what the expectations are etc.
I find having to do all that in morning definitely stresses me out and eats up more time than it should, because I know I should already be working on some of those tasks.

Any tips/further advice on how you guys set up your schedule/daily plan? Any specific software/apps you find useful for this? I use a combination of paper pads, google calendar, day timer, and Smartsheet software. Definitely a mess and could be improved.

Thanks.
I use a dry erase board that has the job#, person, task, start time, end time, amount of time. Then a time box to write the actual start/stop time. There's a schedule of each major asset for the week, for us it is paint booths and blasting. If I had a flatbed printer or cutter I would try to do the same thing. It really helps to keep the equipment utilized and avoid idle time. I never could get into any sort of electronic schedule, if I did, I would still transfer the tasks to a board. Personally, I will get in a groove and never open a schedule system to see what is next. I walk by my board 100 times a day as do the employees so it is always sort of in your face. It takes a fair amount of discipline to fill this thing out every afternoon. It is always my last thing to do and at that point I am ready to go home. Anytime that I miss doing it, you can really see a productivity loss for that day. At first I thought everyone would hate it as it seems a bit authoritarian but it has proven otherwise, I think that people are more comfortable in structure. It eliminates the miscommunicated expectations which lowers stress levels.

Somewhat interesting. For years, I always make a handwritten list of everything open on my computers being worked on at the end of the day Friday. Writing it all down, brings it to the surface once again after the week's ups and downs. During the week, I have 2 notebooks going. One for each and every phone call coming is which has their name, phone and what it is they are calling about. That one might go a page or two before the end of the day. My other notebook has all the information in it for quoting, the quotes already made and easy finding things to come back to. At the end of the week, all that goes into my main notebook along with all the open files in several programs.
I used to do it all on the computer, but by writing it all down it might take a few extra minutes but it is drummed into my head again and again.
I miss things from time to time but not usually.

For me, this relieves stress and creates a more clearer mind and focus on next week.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I use a dry erase board that has the job#, person, task, start time, end time, amount of time. Then a time box to write the actual start/stop time. There's a schedule of each major asset for the week, for us it is paint booths and blasting. If I had a flatbed printer or cutter I would try to do the same thing. It really helps to keep the equipment utilized and avoid idle time. I never could get into any sort of electronic schedule, if I did, I would still transfer the tasks to a board. Personally, I will get in a groove and never open a schedule system to see what is next. I walk by my board 100 times a day as do the employees so it is always sort of in your face. It takes a fair amount of discipline to fill this thing out every afternoon. It is always my last thing to do and at that point I am ready to go home. Anytime that I miss doing it, you can really see a productivity loss for that day. At first I thought everyone would hate it as it seems a bit authoritarian but it has proven otherwise, I think that people are more comfortable in structure. It eliminates the miscommunicated expectations which lowers stress levels.
Notarealsignguy be encouraged that the process you have developed is productive. As you say, "lowers stress levels." First, look for small ways to improve the process. Second, bring the whole team together for one specific topic: ask for input about how it works for them and what might they suggest. Watch to see if they are comfortable to open up. Why do all of this? Because there is always room to improve.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Somewhat interesting. For years, I always make a handwritten list of everything open on my computers being worked on at the end of the day Friday. Writing it all down, brings it to the surface once again after the week's ups and downs. During the week, I have 2 notebooks going. One for each and every phone call coming is which has their name, phone and what it is they are calling about. That one might go a page or two before the end of the day. My other notebook has all the information in it for quoting, the quotes already made and easy finding things to come back to. At the end of the week, all that goes into my main notebook along with all the open files in several programs.
I used to do it all on the computer, but by writing it all down it might take a few extra minutes but it is drummed into my head again and again.
I miss things from time to time but not usually.

For me, this relieves stress and creates a more clearer mind and focus on next week.
Ray Miller Thank you for your reply. It means a lot to me. You have been able to find a system that works for you. Kudos to you. As you say, "...this relieves stress and creates a more clearer mind..." The more we can relieve stress, the better. The more we can have a clear mind, the better. Again, thank you for your reply.

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy be encouraged that the process you have developed is productive. As you say, "lowers stress levels." First, look for small ways to improve the process. Second, bring the whole team together for one specific topic: ask for input about how it works for them and what might they suggest. Watch to see if they are comfortable to open up. Why do all of this? Because there is always room to improve.
They all just smile and nod. I think cuz they're scared of me, or because they don't speak English?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
"Do you understand me?" Yes
"Then how did you paint this truck?" "Yes"
"Is it blue or green?" Yes
Texas_Signmaker Maybe you see it differently. As I see it, that kind of conversation would be the root of stress. To turn it around is not one bit easy. It takes a higher level of listening skills. Again, maybe you are okay with that conversation. How would a more productive conversation feel?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Two things stick out to me.

1. Deadlines - I do operate very good under stress and often it's my best work but I could improve. With being one person a few customers in a day can eat up an entire afternoon of work. That is a big problem some days.
2. My son being home alone if I work early or late.

Number 2 was really bothering me. II was away too many hours. What I decided to do is all the emails, material ordering, estimates, etc. early in the morning drinking coffee waiting for my son to get up. I usually get a good hour-2 hours of work done. I also started remote desktop so I can so some designing and nesting for cutting jobs from home. The production gets done between 8-4:30. Of course I take breaks and check emails and this sign forum throughout the day LOL Once I get in at 8 I feel accomplished and can jump into production.

This doesn't always work. Yesterday I did a delivery truck remove vinyl and install new...12 hour day. Of course at the last minute he wanted both taglines removed from both sides of an 18' truck. Should have been a 2 day job but I did it in one. Vinyl removal is hard on your hands. I worked my ass off to get it all done but I need to be better at allowing more time for things, that causes me stress.

Notarealsignguy

Two things stick out to me.

1. Deadlines - I do operate very good under stress and often it's my best work but I could improve. With being one person a few customers in a day can eat up an entire afternoon of work. That is a big problem some days.
My biggest hurdle is trying to avoid the customers and/or employees that always seem to bog you down. That elevates my stress level and gets me in a foul mood faster than anything else. How do you handle employees that constantly ask questions or give you the whole come look at this... That happened twice while I was typing this. The other thing I get is customers that just HAVE to stop by and go over their stupid job or that always want you to stop by to take a look at something that they are thinking of doing. I'm talking about otherwise good customers, not the onsie twosie guy you can blow off.

I would imagine it would help if you put someone inbetween you and that employee or that customer. Instead of being the problem solver for them, solve your own problem first and don't let yourself open to it. Delegate. Find the right go-between person and put this one to bed.

Notarealsignguy

I would imagine it would help if you put someone inbetween you and that employee or that customer. Instead of being the problem solver for them, solve your own problem first and don't let yourself open to it. Delegate. Find the right go-between person and put this one to bed.
I have a strange business and have been looking for this person since the day I started.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahahaaa..... he's just too cheap. That person is out there, but he won't pay their wages.

Tell me I'm wrong.......................

Stacey K

I like making signs
The other thing I get is customers that just HAVE to stop by and go over their stupid job or that always want you to stop by to take a look at something that they are thinking of doing.

If it's a phone call or email and they are looking for rough estimate or ideas, I tell them, "Let's start with this. Take a photo and some basic dimensions and text/email me. We can use that to get started and if you want to move forward, I can stop to get exact dimensions, we can talk about colors, etc." People are usually very much OK with this. I do a great deal of business via text and many appreciate the simplicity of it.