• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subcontracting Question

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was approached by a newer business (in a town that I do not compete in) to do their vehicle installations. It's two businesses that merged into one and added vehicle installs but they don't have an installer. I'm not sure if they just expected it would be easy to subcontract or they can't find anyone to hire. They are currently using another shop but that shop is pretty busy with their own work and seems to have lost interest in being a subcontractor.

Is this common practice to have a sign shop but hire other sign shops to do vehicles? I know plenty do this with sign installation I've just never heard of this with simple things like pick up trucks.

I will likely pass just due to my own busy schedule but I'm curious if others do this and how they do it. Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wraps, but as you said, not pickups and easy-peasy stuff. I'd be careful. Many times, these kindsa people do this to get inside information which could come back to bite ya.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Wraps, but as you said, not pickups and easy-peasy stuff. I'd be careful. Many times, these kindsa people do this to get inside information which could come back to bite ya.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

DPD

I've heard of doing it for wraps but not for typical stuff like door lettering. I don't want to complicate things but maybe this other company simply doesn't want to do very basic stuff because it's not their thing - some companies like to specialize and be able to refer customers so they get the other business from them.

I had a company send me basic lettering vinyl for me to apply to truck doors quite a few times and for the entire fleet - EZPZ stuff. I never figured out why the manager of the company purchased the vinyl elsewhere and gave it to me for the install but they paid in advance so why not?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We do this all the time. We work with Subcontractors for door decals to full fleet wraps; it's the nature of the beast sometimes. It could be an excellent solution for them and you depending on if you can make it work. Just make sure you don't get yourself into a situation where you are bankrolling their customer; whether their customer pays is not your concern.

signheremd

If they don't have an installer, don't want to hire someone that can install easy stuff (and do assembly on other signs), current subcontractor is declining, I would suggest maybe there is an interpersonal issue... aka they can't keep anyone. i mean, if you have someone to make banners, magnets, MDOs, etc., lettering a truck with simple graphics is easy enough. I'd give a call over to that other sign company and see if there is anything you need to know... payment due day of completion or something like that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't do wraps for locals sign companies, but I do bucket installs. Some of my customers are local sign shops that don't do that level of install, and one is a large local company that subs out when their crews are busy. It's not weird for them because my truck and uniform is unbranded so the client doesn't know the difference. One of the smaller shops has an independent wrap guy come in to THEIR shop though.

Z SIGNS

I think installing or making anything for another sign shop is a lot harder than making signs for your own customers.
Now you got 2x the amount of people/expectations to please.
What happens if there is small bubble in the install that somebody's down the chain is complaining about?
If you can deliver flawless work like the big guns do it could be a good gig.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think installing or making anything for another sign shop is a lot harder than making signs for your own customers.
Now you got 2x the amount of people/expectations to please.
What happens if there is small bubble in the install that somebody's down the chain is complaining about?
If you can deliver flawless work like the big guns do it could be a good gig.
It's not for me...its easier. All I'm responsible for is installing which I do well. Anything else gets passed back to the other sign company.. it's like having the limited responsibly of an employee but getting paid as an owner.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Take it and take notes on what companies they send over. When they fold up the second time, you'll have a bigger customer base. If you want to be dirty, stick a little decal with your company info on it in the door jamb or glove box. They're probably going to use you until they can afford to hire someone full time.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Being a trade-only wholesale I am inclined to say take this business. Just outline your terms clearly. Both for payment and for what is expected for the installation and the work.

There are plenty of people out there that are pretty darn good at selling, but can't quite figure out how to run production.

I think Real was joking about the decal, but don't do that. Reputation is everything.

rvolkers

in my experience - YES - sub contracting - free-lance is very doable
that said - when i did it i wanted the whole job after designed and approved! - i would print-cut and install!
i signed a privacy contract and then did the jobs - the other shop added on a cut for himself or just told the customer to work with me! - as one of there installers

i wanted the print-cut and install together ONLY to complete a job ON TIME if there were any problems and something had to be re-out-puted - i DID NOT want to wait
for someone else to out-put while i had the vehicle in shop!

Stacey K

I like making signs
in my experience - YES - sub contracting - free-lance is very doable
that said - when i did it i wanted the whole job after designed and approved! - i would print-cut and install!
i signed a privacy contract and then did the jobs - the other shop added on a cut for himself or just told the customer to work with me! - as one of there installers

i wanted the print-cut and install together ONLY to complete a job ON TIME if there were any problems and something had to be re-out-puted - i DID NOT want to wait
for someone else to out-put while i had the vehicle in shop!
OK, this makes sense. The only way I would do this is if it's "my job" as in I cut the vinyl and install and work with the company to complete. This guy more of a branding company for large companies. They do large signs, all the branding, magazine ads, etc. some of these places have "parts vehicles" etc. that they need lettered, I believe that's what they would like to have me around for. It's a $300 part of a $50,000 equation.

RabidOne

I don't think that is unusual at all. In my former print life we "farmed out" all sorts of work to subs.
Customer that we print Magazines and catalogues for wants business cards and letterhead.
They just want to deal with one printer, we don't want that work, but we want to keep the customer
happy. We had several sub trades from small format printers to web design and programming to
signmakers. We would not turn a profitable customer down, we just let them know that we were taking care of it for them.
Worked well for us for years.