• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substrate

Maureen Shields

Good morning all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me identify the material in the attached photos. I have a customer who would like us to UV print on both sides of this material. He then heats up the material with a torch to achieve the "wavey" effect. He has tried it with PVC however it does not work well.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 206

GraphixGirl79

Good morning all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me identify the material in the attached photos. I have a customer who would like us to UV print on both sides of this material. He then heats up the material with a torch to achieve the "wavey" effect. He has tried it with PVC however it does not work well.
Thank you in advance for your help!
looks like neoprene.. you know what they make mouse pads out of. but without actually seeing and feeling it. that's only my guess.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Looks like a 5-layer UV print on one side C+W+B+W+C and the substrate is some kind of clear plastic that will warp with heat. Acrylic? You can heat and bend acrylic.

Billct2

I have done some of that with acrylic but decorated it afterwards. Don't know how it could be done if it's already printed without wrecking the image.
Hydo dipping would work

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
closer look at the picture on a computer... it does look like white Sintra. and the sheen looks like UV ink. I would think warping it after printing would wreck the print too, ... but maybe that technique is the secret sauce in this. Or, this is still in the experimental stages for the OP's customer, and they are still looking for the right substrate to use? Is the original in that picture printed, or hand painted?

Edited to change polystyrene to Sintra, that's what I meant to say.

Last edited:

unclebun

Kinda looks like what happens when people use expanded PVC board (Sintra, Trovicel, etc.) for outdoor signage after the sun works on it.

I would think that heating with a heat gun might be safer for the ink and plastic than using a torch. Slower. But safer.

BigNate

you could make that item from flat acrylic and bend it - this is done for small desktop signs that are engraved - I have seen pretty thick clear media at JDS industries. for small rigid table tents we have engraved and/or laminated printing to and then folded pieces of acrylic.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Was gonna say it could be polycarb, that can be thermoformed at low enough temps to not destroy a print (as low as 125f), but this looks a lot thicker.
Sintra is an expanded PVC, that can be thermoformed too, but not sure of what temps it needs.