• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions and opinions

101numlock

I have a customer (little league sponsor) that wants a rigid advertising sign that is lightweight and can be attached to a fence. The sign needs to be 3'x5' and last at least 1 year. Would corrugated plastic sign zip tied to a fence hold up for a year? I want to do a banner but he wanted something rigid. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Also has anyone ever tried to install a grommet on corrugated signs ?

Last edited:

fresh

grommets on corrugated plastic work just fine. I think this solution could last a year, depending on location. I would suggest using polymetal, its pricier, but it will absolutely last for 1 year, and you can put grommets in it (just pre-drill the holes).

2B

If you want at least 1 year then CorPlast is NOT the substrate to use, Alum 040 or ACM are the options to use.

Yes grommets can be placed in CorPlast you need to adjust the depth of the dies before doing corplast otherwise you will have a "pinched/pucker" look around the grommets.

101numlock

I am not familiar with ACM. I googled it and it appears to be a contemporary style construction material also. What type of business would I have luck locating sheets of this locally to avoid shipping costs. I don't believe I've ever seen any lying around the local home center.. I really want to thank all of you guys who take the time to answer silly novice questions like mine.. You guys/galls rock ! :U Rock:

Malkin

You should locate a supplier to the sign industry that sells sheet goods. Nearly any decent sized city should have one. Ask them for a DiBond alternative, nearly all of them have something, just goes by many different names.

I am not familiar with ACM. I googled it and it appears to be a contemporary style construction material also. What type of business would I have luck locating sheets of this locally to avoid shipping costs. I don't believe I've ever seen any lying around the local home center.. I really want to thank all of you guys who take the time to answer silly novice questions like mine.. You guys/galls rock ! :U Rock:

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I doubt the grommets you have on hand would work. You'll need some for thicker materials.

Attachments

• 10mm_coro.jpg
    10mm_coro.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 167

Tom Dalton

I also recomment 10mm coroplast. You can run cable through the fultes instead of using grommets Or you could drill holes and use bannerups to strengthen the holes. The other ideas (like alumalite) would also be fine.

-Tom
SignsDirect.com

2B

Why the 10MM Corplast suggestion?

it does not have a smooth surface and those large flutes are ugly.
Plus 10MM CorPlast is more expensive then the 2 sided 3mm ACM panels from our supplier

JoeBoomer

Use dibond / max metal

I would use Dibond or MaxMetal(Grimco brand). If it's against a fence it should work well and will last well over a year. It's pretty close in price to 10mm coroplast.

CanuckSigns

Why the 10MM Corplast suggestion?

it does not have a smooth surface and those large flutes are ugly.
Plus 10MM CorPlast is more expensive then the 2 sided 3mm ACM panels from our supplier

I don't like ACM for this particular application because I find ACM very easy to dent, especially around the edges, and that usually causes sharp bit that can cut someone. if i'm putting it in an area whenre kids are playing, we always put an edge cap on it.

Billct2

I would use regular coro with grommets. It's equivilent to a banner in durability and
won't hurt any kids that run into it.
I wish it would only last a year, I've seen "temporary" coro signs last years.

OldPaint

sorry, BUT regular thin CORO 3 x 5' WITH GROMMETS WILL LAST LONGER THEN A YEAR!!!!!!!!! (and iam in FLORIDA)
the year i speak of is BASEBALL SEASON(4-5 months)!!!!
on a 3 X 5 i would grommet all 4 corners, center top & bottom for total of 6 grommets. i did baseball signs for years, and some of the signs they used for 5-6 years!!!!!!! these are not left up 365 days. ONLY for baseball/football.
as for putting grommets in 10 mm coro...good luck finding grommets TALL ENOUGH)))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Any of the suggestions above will work, but one thing to consider, not many balls go out that far, but when the kids practice they generally use various parts of the whole field. Therefore, if a ball goes over the fence while practicing and a kid runs after it, on metal products they can hurt themselves quite badly and even on 10 mil Cor-X will hurt them if they appraoch wrong.

All the parks we do.... and we do alot of them, have chain-link fences. They have a rather large about 4" or 6" round capping going along the top of the fence to prevent kids [or anybody] from falling or reaching over the fence from injury. The majority of them use carriage bolts with fender washers and then, some use zip ties. The zip ties are constantly being changed out. Almost all of them are .050 aluminum sheets, while some parks use banners and some still use 1/2" duraply. None of them use Cor-X. I won't let them. :noway:

The problem with Cor-X is, these little leagues need to pay for supplies and maintenance and most of that comes from sponsor signs. They generally sell these signs for a 2 or 3 year contract for say $500 or $600 for 3 years. So, if you sell them cheap Cor-X and say it does last a year, they'll have to come back next year and pay you again to make a sign, which takes away from their funding. I know many people here will say, it's business, but if it help these little kids stay off the streets and maybe not turn to drugs or gangs then it's worth it to give these organizations a good deal with a good product. Not only can they buy more NEW signs by advertising the good deal and work you do, but they can prosper and they'll know you helped. Over the years, these little signs have brought in tons of work.

I love doing them. They're easy and very rewarding. :cool1:

Think of the future in more than just one way. :thumb:

101numlock

Little league

Thanks for all the input guys ! I think I'm really going to push for a banner and try to sell the safety aspect.. I am going to run by the field and see if there are any sponsor signs already up or still up from last year.. I suspect they will be banners too.