• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions on keeping file size managable?

Noni120

Hi. I am fairly new to the sign trade and wondered if any of more experienced members could offer suggestions on how to keep my file sizes down. I find when designing for a 54" printer, my files become so large they are bogging down my system (less than 6 month old computer).
How large a file can be printed? Are there ways to have lower resolution while working on a file and then up the resolution to the original 200-300 dpi when ready to print?
Also could I create a file as a percentage of the size (say 25%) and then have FlexiSign multiply the file when going to print it?
I'm using Illustrator to design and Flexisign to print.
I know these may be silly question-I'm just learning and the more I learn it seems the less I know! lol
Thanks in advance all!

ForgeInc

Step 1. Search.

Step 2. Introduce yourself and tell a story.

Step 3. If you make all your rastered imagery 100 DPI at full size, that is plenty. Many will tell you less is even better. What type of files are you sending to the rip? PDF will most likely be your best bet for manageable file size.

Give us more details, and we can give you more advice.

artbot

your heads are 720x1440. that means you need to save your files at 1440 dpi. average files size will be 100gigs.

actually get a small piece of an image. something sharper than would be for your average project. also get a sample of something not sharp, like a photograph of the sky, or a section of a person's cheek. about 4"x4" each.

now save them a ever decreasing file sizes 300dpi, 250dpi, 200dpi, 170dpi, 150dpi, 140dpi, 120dpi, 100dpi, 85dpi, and 72dpi. print all of them. remember to write on each of them which is which dpi or they will get mixed up. and why will they get mixed up. you won't be able to tell the difference very easily. you will be surprised at how good 72dpi looks for some subjects. and keep in mind this is a sign. next time you walk passed a graphic, ask yourself if you stopped, got out a loop, went up to the print and discusses with yourself just what dpi setting that print might be. fact is you'll breeze by it reading it and that's that.

TwoNine

Well - unless I am seriously missing something here. You're designing files in AI (Illustrator) and having problems with the size of the file? Vector (Lineart/Illustrator) is math. So you shouldn't be seeing files over.......I'll put it this way - most of my Corel files (similar to Illy - are about 600k - 5mb)

Is there ANY raster information at all? Anything like drop shadows, gradients, textures, etc, etc....

Raster = JPG, PSD, GIF, BMP, TIF

How big ARE the files after they've been saved?

Oh - and I see your new - hello from WA by the way.

rjssigns

Depending on file Height and Width I decide if I will design full scale or not. If it is a huge graphic I will design at 10% to 25% scale in Ai or PS. When saving I have found PDF's to be my friend as they generate a more compact file. Then we just key in the correct scaling value in the rip. Works for us.