• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa DC4 Printer

jc1cell

I saw an add for this printer in the big picture magazine and wanted to get a discussion going on it.

I personally have never used thermal transfer printing so I can't really input much but am amazed at the outdoor life being suggested: 5 years unlaminated.

Not a fan of the integrated cutter though.

What do you guys think about this machine. Vs eco solvent and vs the new latex movement. Scratch resistance, maintenance, workflow, etc.

Jc

briankb

Premium Subscriber
You should request a sample kit from Summa and judge the quality for yourself.

The cost per sf is much higher than inkjet + lamination. And do to the nature of the printing method it produces full color but it's not as crisp or solid as inkjet.

I think it's more important to figure out what you will be printing and then ask the question again with that in mind. You don't want to do banners, photography, or car wraps IMHO.

It's great for stickers and some POP displays.

Curious if you did a search on this forum for "summa dc4"? If not I suggest you start there first. This question has been asked many times before including by me.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Summa Samples

Hello JC-

I am a sales rep for Summa, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the technology and provide samples if you would like.

Please give me a call or shoot me a quick PM with your info and I can provide more information.

PGSigns

Do a search here for discussions on this printer. I have one and they work well for what they are good at. Make a list up of what it is you want to do with it and look at the pros and cons of the types of printers and the work you need to get done. As far as the print and cut go you will not find a more accurate machine for this kind of work. I do a lot of small decals and the level of accuracy is always spot on.
Jimmy

The Equipment Guy

There are pros and cons to the DC4, but most of it comes down to if it is right for you, its a good machine operationally, I have sold a lot of them and have customers who either love it, or find that it does not do what they had expected they were going to do with it (lack of research)

As far as the cutting solution, it is one of the better "built in" systems on the market IMHO. I have never had an after sale objection about the cutting.

Craig