• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa s2 T series just stops cutting in the middle of jobs

gabagoo

Not sure if it is Flexi 21 or the Summa, but on several occasions when cutting multiple copies of the same graphic the production manager is stuck at a certain %age and the plotter is just stopped. Called Flexi, and they think it is the plotter, so anyone else out here experience this?
Note...it has never done this on a print and cut job, just large cut jobs..(.For instance I am cutting the same 6 letter word 200 times)

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When my Summa misbehaves, I turn it off, then back on. Have you tried that yet?

gabagoo

When my Summa misbehaves, I turn it off, then back on. Have you tried that yet?
I don't really have to turn it off as it is sitting there waiting for info...I am pretty sure it is Flexi, but they say no. Do you think that the memory in the Summa just can't handle the flow of info? I mean my 15 year old Graphtec never does that.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't really have to turn it off as it is sitting there waiting for info...I am pretty sure it is Flexi, but they say no. Do you think that the memory in the Summa just can't handle the flow of info? I mean my 15 year old Graphtec never does that.
It's possible. This machine is still new to us, I'm figuring things out as I go. I haven't had your specific issue, but have had other frustrating and weird thing happen. First thing I do now is shut it down. It's been working so far.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Have you tried running any jobs using GoSign or Winplot to see if you lose communication mid job? I would give that a shot and I suspect that the jobs will function correctly with those two programs and that would confirm that Flexi is causing the issue. If you continue to have communication drop outs using GoSign and Winplot you might try updating the firmware if you haven't already and if the problem continues to happen after that you likely have a mainboard issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

gabagoo

Have you tried running any jobs using GoSign or Winplot to see if you lose communication mid job? I would give that a shot and I suspect that the jobs will function correctly with those two programs and that would confirm that Flexi is causing the issue. If you continue to have communication drop outs using GoSign and Winplot you might try updating the firmware if you haven't already and if the problem continues to happen after that you likely have a mainboard issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
I have only had the plotter for about 6 months...do you think there is a firmware update? If so where do I get it?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I would do what I suggested and try using GoSign or Winplot before you do any other steps. If everything works using GoSign or Winplot then the communication errors are being caused by Flexi and you would need to do some Flexi troubleshooting at that point. It's highly unlikely that the firmware will need to be updated on a brand new machine and much more likely that Flexi is causing these problems.

gabagoo

I would do what I suggested and try using GoSign or Winplot before you do any other steps. If everything works using GoSign or Winplot then the communication errors are being caused by Flexi and you would need to do some Flexi troubleshooting at that point. It's highly unlikely that the firmware will need to be updated on a brand new machine and much more likely that Flexi is causing these problems.
I agree...the issue is infrequent although it happened 3 times on this particular job. Maybe there is something in the file Flexi does not like. Thanks Phil

Saturn

Aging Member
When I used to print from Flexi, I would have this happen occasionally when I tried to do lots of copies. I ended up doing smaller batches/sets and not worrying about it. Don't know if it was really Flexi or the limits of my PC (network/RAM/buffering issues.)

Is it at least finishing the file/cut before it hangs? It's not stopping in the middle of a copy is it?

gabagoo

When I used to print from Flexi, I would have this happen occasionally when I tried to do lots of copies. I ended up doing smaller batches/sets and not worrying about it. Don't know if it was really Flexi or the limits of my PC (network/RAM/buffering issues.)

Is it at least finishing the file/cut before it hangs? It's not stopping in the middle of a copy is it?
Yes it just freezes up and the cutter head stops where it last cut. On one job the way the file was created or the way I ganged them up, it cut a whole pile of weed boxes and then cut half of everything and then froze. I will try cutting from winplot

RMarshall

I use Caldera and I've noticed that if my display goes to sleep while the cutter is going the cutter will stop.
It's only happened a few times during long jobs but if I remember correctly once I wake the display up the cutter will eventually start up again.

natallica

Graphics Guru
I honestly think it's Flexi, our old T160 did it.
Heard it could be a board going bad in the Summa, So we bought a brand new OPOSCAM 160 T and it still does it. It's random, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
Ours is nice enough to wait till the last panel to give up, so we tend to put only block stuff at the end because cutting by hand sucks.
Still can't figure out why it does it though.

-N8

gabagoo

The jobs that it stops on are pretty large vector files which were all stepped and repeated before cutting... I'm thinking there is a memory limit and have now sent them out in smaller batches and have not had any incomplete cuts.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Clean out your PC hard drive and defrag it. This is a printing and cutting problem that’s been going on for years.
Just helped an old friend having the same problem printing- starts printing, then just stops.
Hooked up my laptop, printer runs fine.
Bought a new Pc
Bruce

gabagoo

Clean out your PC hard drive and defrag it. This is a printing and cutting problem that’s been going on for years.
Just helped an old friend having the same problem printing- starts printing, then just stops.
Hooked up my laptop, printer runs fine.
Bought a new Pc
Bruce
I regularly delete all the old printed and cut jobs, but have not actually done anything as far as windows goes. Will give it a try.