• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SummaDC4 and Gerber Omega Software

Skeezix

Sound dumb I guess but will a Summa DC 4 work with Omega Software? My Edge has 6600+ minutes on it and it from 1997 - I got it quite used, I am best with the Omega Software so there is the matter of an upgrade thet will be as pleasant as the Edge has been for the 5 + years i have had it...
THX

WVB

I would imagine there are drivers for the DC4 with other software packages. From what Summa told me the factory software seems very capable and has a lot of neat features to it. I would contact Summa or Omega for sure. Check with their websites as well.

ChiknNutz

Not sure, but I'd suggest calling Summa and asking them. As a design program, no problem, but what I'd figure you'd have trouble with is the file extension. I've been looking at these, and it comes with it's own RIP (ColorControl), which accepts the following files: "EPS, PDF and all generic PostScript"

Billct2

"Simple answer, NO"
That figures.
You should still be able to design in Omega and export to something like Corel and print from there.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You will not be able to drive a Summa from Omega.

You may be able to export your design out of Omega and into whatever software you get to drive the Summa. In particular, you may get very ggod results if you are using Omega 2.5 which has much better import export capabilities than previous versions.

My first recommendation to you is to open your mind to other design software. It will take some relearning but it is your best solution. If you are dead set on using Omega, then I would suggest that you approach it from a perspective of creating a file in Omega 2.5.1 and exporting it to PDF. Then send it to Summa and have them do a test print for you and send it to you.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hey Tony,
Can Omega drive any equipment not manufactured by Gerber?
I know it hasn't in the past but thought that might have changed over the last few years with the digital/printing explosion everyone is experiencing now.

threeputt

Mike, I design daily in Omega 2.1 and output as .eps directly to VersaWorx to my Roland SP-540V.

Much of my stuff, of course, gets designed in Omega, exported as .bmp to PhotoShop and output as .tif to VersaWorx.

If I need cutlines, though, I have to make a quick pit stop in Corel as there is no way to assign the cut command that Versa recognizes, in Omega. Bummer on that one.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If I need cutlines, though, I have to make a quick pit stop in Corel as there is no way to assign the cut command that Versa recognizes, in Omega. Bummer on that one.

The extra steps would turn me away if I was looking to purchase software.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could print to your VersaCamm directly from Omega just like Flexi or SignLab.
I think their slowly hurting themselves...