• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Super Noob HANGING SIGN

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I must say, I find this very hard to believe, but if you first-hand witnessed it, that's enough for me.

Anyway, private property is the same as 'your property'. In other words, it's not public property or government property, it is yours, unless you rent it, which would still be private property, but that's just a small detail.

Also, jimbug, thank you for the kind words..... I think............. but I'm not fighting. I'm just trying to point out all the things she's totally totally overlooked and could get herself in a lotta trouble. Calling me names or getting her undies all bunched up don't bother me. That's par for the course here at this place. If someone is honestly trying to better themselves, I will give 110%, but if they just wanna take the easy way out and furnish dumb-a$$ excuses, look out, cause I'll unload both barrels. This OP just has no clue and is trying to peek outside of her safe-zone and is testing the waters with possible major wrong doings. That's all. Ya can't re-invent the wheel, but ya sure can approach things easier, if you have some knowledge going into an unknown.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The one thing that made me laugh about the Louisiana conversation was the guy at their Town Hall that I was talking to said, in a 100% serious tone, something to the affect of "you may want to check with the Parish.....and the FAA". :big laugh::big laugh::big laugh: You have to imagine it in a thick, country, Louisiana drawl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, maybe their thoughts were..... as to being that high, it might interfere with aerial landmarks being lit up, but did you know or realize that in Louisiana..... and that state only, (in Louisiana) a territorial division corresponding to a county in other states. Did you check to see either at place or just pooh-pooh it ??

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It made me think the same thing when he made the FAA comment. I was laughing on the inside but then I immediately thought maybe there was some merit to what he said. Areas with low flying planes have those orange spheres on power lines, etc. When municipalities make their ordinances, is the FAA consulted? I have no clue but I could see it happening. It wasn't out of the ordinary for the sign company I worked at to put up pylon signs over 100' tall....I would think at that height, there may may need to be additional considerations. Strobe light at the top? Who knows...

Louisiana has parishes that don't border other states. Not sure what you're asking....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've done over 150 locations over the United States in the last three years, and yes there are locations that have zero sign ordinances. It's rare though, I've only seen it in rural areas.

I had one location that was in between two jurisdictions, and neither building inspector wanted to claim the property. The client was constructing a building and couldn't get permits from either municipalality and county didn't regulate so they just went forward. What was dumb is that the "city limit" sign was was the other end of the property

Scotchbrite

No comment
We used to have pockets of county inside the local city limits. First time it happened I got the run around for a couple days driving back and forth between offices, but after that I knew to make the county planners check the zoning map. Thankfully they have it all annexed into the city now.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I spent about a year on a committee to revise the local city sign code. We made a point to keep all the signs in line with similar regulations. When it got to the city council they didn't like that they couldn't have a 4'x8' election sign in residential so they blew up that part of the code so they could keep using their 4x8 signs.

The last revision the planners did on their own. We tried to point out all the spelling errors and some incorrect formulas. They didn't listen to any of it. I'd be embarrassed if I'd published a code with some of the errors they didn't bother to fix.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Our code was drafted in such a way that it would have basically allowed any temporary sign to be allowed within 90 days of elections. I was eager to produce a whole bunch of recyclable banners or something to put up condemning the election signage as wasteful and a blight. Looks like that'll wait until next year. I hate that crap.
Election signs feed the politicians ego. They love seeing their name and hearing themselves talk. It would not hurt my feelings one bit if they did away with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, whether you're advertising for a yard sale, a boat or house by owner, it's alright to put a temporary sign up without obtaining a permit, as long as it's less then 30 days. You can get a permit for a temporary sign, which is good for 90 days. However, political signs only have the rule, it must be removed within I think it's 15 days from the end of the election.... or the politician will be fined by the sign so much a day until ALL are removed. That sure has cleaned up the on & off ramps, sidewalks and roads. People with these huge signs kill me.