• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Support for hanging pennant banner

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi All The local school had 18 pennant banners made by another company some years ago. They are hanging in the gym and starting to curl. They would like me to fix the problem by applying some kind of backing so they hang nicely. The original company told them to use dowels, one on each side, 1 on top, 1 on bottom and 1 across. Although this would probably work if it was one or two, doing this with 18 banners seems like the hard way to do things. We came up with using possibly tagboard, coroplast...something of that nature. I have think this happened to some of you in the past and I'm looking for your ideas!
1. Will need to hang (there are grommets on each top corner)
2. Ideas for the best way to attach, double sided tape or construction adhesive?
3. Lightweight
4. Most economical
5. Banners measure 5' wide by 83" high, pennant shaped at bottom
Thank you everyone!

jwlllpl

We started using BannerUps clear tape and grommet tabs several years back and it works very well. May not be the cheapest way but it works for us. Grimco carries their products so easy to get.

Billct2

Are there pole pockets on top? Since it doesn't sound like you have sewing as an option If I would try adding a 1" wide piece piece of 3mm pvc around the perimeter with vhb tape.
That should flatten all the edges and and add enough weight to hang flat.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Are there pole pockets on top? Since it doesn't sound like you have sewing as an option If I would try adding a 1" wide piece piece of 3mm pvc around the perimeter with vhb tape.
That should flatten all the edges and and add enough weight to hang flat.
No pole pockets, this could be an option, thank you!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Do you have a picture of any of them presently hanging ??
I do not. they hang them by the grommets using a zip tie on what appears to be a pole. The back will be seen, which I didn't mention earlier. I noticed mostly the lower corners were curling and they were sagging in the middle top.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What you just described is kinda what I figured. Your best fix is to get metal water pipe about 1" OD and add a middle grommet. Wire tie the pipe to the bottom and make sure it doesn't show from the front side. It would be best to take them all down and add a pole pocket top and bottom and put a pole through the top and a pipe or chain through the bottom. It needs to hang freely, but from more than just two points. You could always paint the pipes so in case anything manages to show, it won't be obvious. Don't be looking to make a cheap fix. Go in with it being a proper fix and they hafta pay for the original person not fabricating these things properly. They pay, not you.

Billct2

Problem is they are pointed on the bottom, I assume that's what pennant shaped means. I wouldn't be surprised they aren't even hemmed.
If possible add a pole pocket on top by folding and banner tape. If there's not enough material to do that then add a few more grommets and screw or thru bolt to a piece of pvc pipe.
Leave a little longer and add eyebolts for hanging. I would still add some pvc strips with banner to the bottom, use vinyl to match to the background if you have to. Tell them next time get them made right.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Are they made of regular pvc banner material?
If they are you could do it like the moon landing flags - add some wire to the back to stiffen them up.
Use a good gauge of bailing/tie wire covered with strips of banner, glued down with HH66 banner cement.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Gino they are pointed on the bottom. Apparently they were given the wrong type of banners...hmm
Billct2 they are hemmed and 2 grommets on top. The hems on the sample are coming apart, very cheaply made banners. It might be possible to add a pipe of some sort to the top. When you say add pvc strips, do you mean something like this?
Would the consensus be that using 4mm coroplast on the back would not work? If I bought 5'x10' it would be 2 quick cuts and banner tape.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPEG
    IMG_2467.JPEG
    730.8 KB · Views: 158

Johnny Best

They sew metal weights in the bottom hem of curtains to keep them hanging straight. I would not trust banner tape holding coroplast to banner material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Without something strong back there, it will eventually bow, also. The way the weight is centered, using banner material will always curl. Perhaps you could suggest starting over and using gatorboard or something that won't bend.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think some kind of dowel or pvc on top and on the pennants is going to be the best route, and the cheapest.

Billct2

What you showed it what I was thinking. I just think it's cheaper and simpler than trying to mount the whole banner on something like coro, but I would make the strips about an inch. Sounds
like the banners weren't specified for the application and poorly made at that

Stacey K

I like making signs
What you showed it what I was thinking. I just think it's cheaper and simpler than trying to mount the whole banner on something like coro, but I would make the strips about an inch. Sounds
like the banners weren't specified for the application and poorly made at that
You are right, that is the route I'm going. Thanks for your help and being patient!