• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sweet

Dan Antonelli

this guy's been widely discredited. google around or check snopes if you're really interested--- some funny stuff about his past

Colin

Thanks Dan. Yes, always must be sceptical, but it's widely known that sugar intake ought to be limited.

MakeMyGraphic

yep... carbs and sugars... as tasty as they are... especially the highly processed flours and sugars. Many people have been discredited but it by all means does not null / void anything they say. I personally believe that sugars in the long run poison the human body, I rarely ever get sick but most of my friends who consume too many sugars end up sick ALL THE TIME.

Dan Antonelli

Oh I'm sure that's true.

You've been riding/racing much? Got myself a coach this year who's been helping me a lot. Got the Quarq Sram power cranks, so have training program built around power instead of HR. Big difference in training when you have someone who plans each workout - and seeing some big improvements. Raced last week and took 7th out of 75, with 26.9mph pace for 24 miles. Ouch!

Colin

You've been riding/racing much?

I'm "off the back" this year. I didn't ride for about 3 months this winter, due to a variety of reasons, so have a lot of catching up to do (and you know how fun that is). I did a 86 km group ride Saturday, and did ok, but my high-end is lacking. Being 50 now doesn't help either, but I have to remember that many in the group are half my age, and often I can drop them!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

After all I've been through with 18 major surgeries in just over 20 years, it's apparent to me it's going to take an awful lot to kill me. I am the oldest of four... all 3 of my younger siblings were diabetic - not me - two of them had chronic heart failure/disease - not me, my heart tests always come back totally fine. I just think about Jim Fixx whenever I read another doctor telling us how to live longer... if you're not of a certain age you'll have to google jim fixx. The guy who completely changed his entire way of living and became the father of the jogging/running movement drops dead while out running. How ironic... and it also serves to illustrate that no matter what you do to improve your health - you have a specific check out date regardless.

Colin

…and it also serves to illustrate that no matter what you do to improve your health - you have a specific check out date regardless.

With all due respect friend, this is completely false. Citing the rare case like Mr. Fixx, or an 85 year old smoker, is a logical fallacy. The fact is, if one employs moderate exercise rather than a sedentary lifestyle, and a healthy diet rather than a poor one, one will not only live longer, but will feel better when & as they age.

All I have to do is attend a high school reunion to see this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you get hit by a truck................ or shot in a cross fire.................. fall off a cliff............ falling off a ride at the amusement park.... and this stuff ain't rare. It happens all over the place.... all the time.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

With all due respect friend, this is completely false. Citing the rare case like Mr. Fixx, or an 85 year old smoker, is a logical fallacy. The fact is, if one employs moderate exercise rather than a sedentary lifestyle, and a healthy diet rather than a poor one, one will not only live longer, but will feel better when & as they age.

All I have to do is attend a high school reunion to see this.

Irrespective of the lifestyle improvements cited, there is a cog turning in the Universe with your name on it and there is a predestined stopping point on it - no matter what you undertake to change it your efforts are futile. I like Gino's comments with all the "unless's" as well.

Colin

Irrespective of the lifestyle improvements cited, there is a cog turning in the Universe with your name on it and there is a predestined stopping point on it - no matter what you undertake to change it your efforts are futile.

I understand what you're saying, I just think that that idea/belief is untrue. It looks at the entire scenario in a superstitious manner, where there is an entity outside of the gritty reality of the goings-on of organic life, working strings like a puppet master. There is no good evidence or reason to believe this. All observation & evidence suggests the opposite is true.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, I take it, if there is nothing with your name on it, getting ready to take you out...... then you are completely giving in to the same theory, that the chance of you being born is about nil, yet we have over 6 billion people, let alone animals, insects and other living things like trees and stuff. Nothing planned, as you put it..... as if lightening hit the water and started fish walking and turning into amphibians which later became the chain for our whole being..... and some of those buggers turning into poison ivy and redwood trees. Sure musta been one heck of a treat to see these things develop the way you explain it.

This notion of yours makes as much sense to me as mine does to you. Cryptic or not.... yours can't be proven any better than mine. Why not let it alone and stop stirring the pot ?? Yet, you've been warned about this sort of messin' around. :toasting:

Colin

Why not let it alone and stop stirring the pot ?? Yet, you've been warned about this sort of messin' around.

So let me see if I got this straight; I make a post about the importance of a decent diet, someone else chimes in with a supernatural claim about how it doesn’t matter due to predestination, which I fairly and reasonably express as untenable, and I am the one stirring the pot?!? Your narcissism is astounding.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

So let me see if I got this straight; I make a post about the importance of a decent diet, someone else chimes in with a supernatural claim about how it doesn’t matter due to predestination, which I fairly and reasonably express as untenable, and I am the one stirring the pot?!? Your narcissism is astounding.

I wasn't proposing predestination as in the Calvinism variety - I know religion is a no go topic. I also don't associate a prescient entity with the Universe, so nothing supernatural in what I said either. I just think all our cards are dealt by the Universe and it's where our number is stored for the day it ultimately pops up and we're goners. I'm actually surprised you aren't more behind me on this one!

Colin

I just think all our cards are dealt by the Universe and it's where our number is stored for the day it ultimately pops up and we're goners. I'm actually surprised you aren't more behind me on this one!

But that "card dealing" and storage of said cards requires the conscious act of doing so, which requires a conscious being. It's a very odd and backwards way of looking at reality, where everything is "pre-planned". This simply is not so. If it were, and say your "time" is November 12th 2016, then before that time you'd be able to walk in front of a speeding train or jump off a cliff - whatever - and you would not die. No, events play out as they will in a completely natural way. It's nature all the way down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you got it straight, but again, as usual, you missed the point at the end. Has nothing to do with your original post, but someone posting something and you're running with it.

Ya know Colin.... you, me and a few others who know who they are.... can't let this stuff alone. I guess you could say we're all selfish, but you make a habit of somehow starting it and trying to make the others out to be fools. You always cast the first stone.

If calling me a fool.... or Arlo a fool..... or anyone else, makes you feel like the big boy on top of the mountain... so be it, but don't for an instant think you are any more closer to any of your so-called truths. You've been trained well. I don't understand your contempt for such things, but then, I guess I gave up caring a short while ago on your butt.

There was a time, I enjoyed debating this kinda stuff with you. It got heated and sometimes it got bad, but you have gotten to the point, wherever you see a chance.... you jump on it like a lizard at a cricket fest. You can't let it go and it's eating you up from many standpoints.

Anyway, have fun and probably get another thread locked down. Why not start a thread on something that no one knows anything about and perhaps you could be king of that, too.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

But that "card dealing" and storage of said cards requires the conscious act of doing so, which requires a conscious being. It's a very odd and backwards way of looking at reality, where everything is "pre-planned". This simply is not so. If it were, and say your "time" is November 12th 2016, then before that time you'd be able to walk in front of a speeding train or jump off a cliff - whatever - and you would not die. No, events play out as they will in a completely natural way. It's nature all the way down.

Well, since I'm neither odd nor backwards - there must be another explanation. This whole conversation is merely a pointless diversion I for one am not taking seriously since none of us propounding our beliefs can be either be proven right or wrong. Actually, I kind of regret having participated at all and wish I could take it back but I'm not going to edit out my comments and leave weird holes in the flow of this conversation. Actually, like Roseanne Roseannadanna always used to say "never mind"!

Colin

If calling me a fool.... or Arlo a fool..... or anyone else, makes you feel like the big boy on top of the mountain....

And where did I do that? No, you're seeing what you want to see again. Would you Gino kindly stop inserting your massive ego into my threads? You're as abrasive as a hardwood floor sanding disc.