• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

System 32 Virus anyone?

Jillbeans

My kid got the PC infected yesterday.
Heck I thought it was bad when he brought home the puke thing.
Avast went haywire and the message came up
System32svchost.exe
(I think that's what it said)
In the virus vault it's called setup.exe
I did the full Avast scan, tempcleaner, spybot, ccleaner, and malwarbytes.
I am about as good with computers as I am with changing a tire.
Anyway, when I try to log onto a site it makes some new oddball yet authentic looking site come on.
And Avast pops up again with the warning.
Kid was watching a video when it happened.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm on XP with a cable modem.
Thanks.
Love.....Jill

Locals Find!

If you visit TrendMicro they have a free tool called house call. It is a Free virus removal tool. Its not full fledged protection but, it will clean up the mess. It works well. I just used it yesterday to clean out a Nasty Trojan that AVG wouldn't remove.

Here is the link:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/?WT.seg_2=2009HP_HouseCall

Should clean it right up. If you have to download from another computer to a thumb drive and install it on the affected machine. Then simply run the program and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Just a NOTE Trend Micro was the software provider we used in the Air Force to provide all our anti-virus security when I was serving. I have been using them for well over 15 years now personally.

tcorn1965

Jill,

There is a fix that will save you a reformat. You have malware
http://majorgeeks.com/Combofix_d6402.html Click on where it says download from authors site. Download to your desk top. Restart your computer in safe mode (that's hitting the f8 key during start up)the run the combofix you downloaded to your desktop. It may ask you to uninstall your anti-virus first, if it does then do it. Follow all instructions on screen as combofix runs-it goes through about 50 stages. After it is done re install anti-virus if it asked you to remove. I have used this fix so many times I cant count. It has never failed to completely clean the computer.

Terry

Jillbeans

Thanks but that last one (I think) made things even worse.
Scared to try the first one.
Was hoping Curtis had some info.
Been p!ssing with this alllll day.

tcorn1965

The combofix? I have used it many times and would not have recommended it unless I was 100% positive of results...Sorry Jill

Jillbeans

It did find 72 bugs but in order to fix em you have to buy it, not that I'm a total cheapy but I'm a wee bit broke at the mo.
It was hard to uninstall.
But I think it's the virus, it took me all day just to get back online.
Was scary not having my Avast in place either.
I really do appreciate your trying to help though!

tcorn1965

Jill you are clicking on wrong thing. It is free. The link is in middle of page by the guy with helmet. Click on download from authors site. If you call me I will walk u through it...have u up in no time...563-676-4593

Terry

omgsideburns

Hey look, Combofix.

It's the same thing i suggest EVERY TIME SOMEONE BRINGS UP A VIRUS/MALWARE THREAD.

Download it for FREE from the bleepingcomputer link. It almost always works, give it a shot.

<3<3<3

Locals Find!

The One I mentioned Jill is very safe. You don't have to disable anything it just does its job. Its used mainly as a promotional tool by Trend Micro. They figure if they can solve your issues when your infected you will buy their full fledged product to keep you from getting infected. You can read reviews on them in PC Magazine and many other places. Just google em you will find tons of info on them. They aren't just some pop up po-dunk company in the woods.

tcorn1965

Although Trend-Micro is ok, and I have used it as well it does not address Mal-Ware and that is what Jill has.

Terry7

Locals Find!

Although Trend-Micro is ok, and I have used it as well it does not address Mal-Ware and that is what Jill has.

Terry7

If malwarebytes didn't take out the malware it more than likely is going to be a worm or trojan. Housecall 7 should clean it up. Won't hurt a thing to try. All you got to lose is the 15 mins spent running it.

Jillbeans

Terry it worked!
I was waiting to see what happened before calling you crying.
I did accidentally download this Spyware Doctor thing from the link you posted.
This time I was real careful and it worked even for a numbnuts like myself.
Whatever it was, it is called Rootkit.
(I think)
Thanks!
:)

tcorn1965

Terry it worked!
I was waiting to see what happened before calling you crying.
I did accidentally download this Spyware Doctor thing from the link you posted.
This time I was real careful and it worked even for a numbnuts like myself.
Whatever it was, it is called Rootkit.
(I think)
Thanks!
:)

Jill,
Whew...I am glad it worked. This is hands down the best program to clean your computer up. This will come up again for you or your friends, these B-holes are so smart. I generally run this on my PC's once a month wither I need it or not. Enjoy your weekend!

Terry

S'N'S

Jill, when I used Avast that came up on every computer so I did a search of the net and found that it's not a virus or anything bad. I changed to AVG and it never appeared again.

Fitch

Hi Jill and in fact all.

I had a Trojan that Malwarebytes, McAfee and a few others could not remove.

It was the Google redirect and had actually got into the system when booting up, so it came up EVERY TIME.

The best I have found so far is Hit Man Pro. 30 Day trial - fully functioning.

I later paid a 2 year subscription.

Hope it helps.

Cheers - G

Jillbeans

Yup that's what it is.
Ran Combofix again and it found more stuff.
What a pain in the tushie messing with this all day.